Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 7th December 1976
Elvis-TheKingsCourt > All Elvis > All Elvis
Elvis_Priestly
Was just browsing around elvis-in-concert.com and its notable comments section, found this for 7 December 1976:

"After this show, Elvis wrote a note in his penthouse suite which was found in a wastepaper basket inside Elvis' bedroom, by a cleaner: "I feel so alone sometimes. The night is quiet for me. I would love to be able to sleep. I am glad everyone is gone now. I will probably not rest tonight. I have no need for all of this. Help me Lord." He weighed 235 Pounds and was bloated. The handwriting was not only on the note, but on the bedroom wall!"

It troubles me because I love December 1976 (so don't want it to be true). But I have footage of that time in Vegas and he looks in good condition to me, similar physique to Birmingham etc.

Anyone know anything at all about this?
J
I don't think it was too long ago, when someone at FECC that I personally
would consider as a very reliable source, mentioned that those '76 Hilton
"letters" are forgeries... so don't worry. biggrin.gif
Gordon
whatever they are....he could have felt like that...but saying that he was bloated in December '76 is a stupidity imo.
Scatter
It's a forgery Conor............one of many floating about.
Memphis-Man
I too, have heard that he did not actually write that note. However, his life in parts of 1976 and certainly parts of 1977 certainly displayed a side of Elvis that seemed to act out if-you-will, what the note was saying. His battle with depression and not knowing who he could actually trust, must have made him feel captive.

M-M
elvisfan4ever
the letter is a fake ...actually elvis looked pretty good in dec of 76 . he trimmed down lots it the best he looked in all of 76.. he was doin just fine in dec of 76.. also all the concerts in vegas of 76 were very good...its all stuff made up fake letter for sure cheers.gif
GuitarMan66
Is this the supposed letter that was found by a Minister that Elvis had confided in. he kept the note and eventually the words were added to a song or something...I didnt know it had been proven a fake.
C.C.Rider
Far too much rubbish around. Sad, but bound to happen. sad.gif
LittleDarlin
QUOTE (Elvis_Priestly @ May 9 2007, 05:55 PM)
Was just browsing around elvis-in-concert.com and its notable comments section, found this for 7 December 1976:

"After this show, Elvis wrote a note in his penthouse suite which was found in a wastepaper basket inside Elvis' bedroom, by a cleaner: "I feel so alone sometimes. The night is quiet for me. I would love to be able to sleep. I am glad everyone is gone now. I will probably not rest tonight. I have no need for all of this. Help me Lord." He weighed 235 Pounds and was bloated. The handwriting was not only on the note, but on the bedroom wall!"

It troubles me because I love December 1976 (so don't want it to be true). But I have footage of that time in Vegas and he looks in good condition to me, similar physique to Birmingham etc.

Anyone know anything at all about this?

It's funny You gave this date Conor because a Conversation I had with Someone a little while ago, brought to My attention an Article by Ger Rijff in the December 76 issue of The Man and His Music in which Ger had started to Notice a dramatic change in Elvis's health, which we now know to be from well whatever. Ger was there for some of these shows and that's how He ended up writing the Article.

Not to sure about the Letters though.
fonziesplace
The letter mention was supposed to be written by Elvis. Stories said it was found Minister. THe same note was also written on the bathroom wall. If this is true, you need to remember by this time Elvis hated Vegas. So I wouldn't be surprise that it was written by Elvis.
Elvis also gave his worst show just two days before December 5. That was considered as his worst show of this season. A fan recalls that night
"The curtain goes up and Elvis limps on stage from the left. James Burton and John Wilkenson (Guitarists) look nervously at one another. Elvis leans on Charlie Hodge. He looks bad. His face is pale and bloated. His wet hair hangs down over his face like he's just got out of the shower. As he takes the guitar from Charlie and heads for the microphone he looks drunk.
After See See Rider, he explains his 'unconvincing' story to the audience in slurred speech about tripping in the shower. He is not in control of his body movements. He continues singing then asks if the audience won't mind him sitting down. From his stool, he sings a few more songs then begins a dialogue about a black diamond ring he's just acquired.
The audience are getting restless and some start to leave, calling out their frustrations about the poor show and wanting their money back. Even the musicians are getting annoyed at the lack of music.
The tension in the showroom is getting worse and worse then just as it seems things can't get any worse, Elvis seems to slip out of his twilight zone and returns to normality. He gets off the stool. His voice is less slurred, though he's still a bit shaky. From here on, the show is like it should be, though not quite up to it's normal high.
After Can't Help Falling In Love, Elvis leaves the stage with no limping whatsoever!"

I have ask a friend who went to this show and she also comfirms this to happen. She also went to the show of December 7, she said Elvis seem different. He seem to be high on the drugs that he was taken even though it didn't really show it in his voice. But his moves clearly showed it.

So don't be surprise that he wrote that letter. Until we see the letter itself we can't really say that he wrote it or not.
Memphis-Man
Thanks so much for the "eyewitness" account. While many of the shows were considered "good" and Elvis certainly mixed up the music during this season, there is no doubt that he did not want to be in Vegas. Quite frankly, who can blame him....
colonel snow
6 dec. 1976 Elvis sprained his ankle; perhaps he got painkillers?.
Vernon was taken to the hospital again with symptons of a heart attack.

the december 1976 are not bad however Elvis forgot words to his songs and must read the words from sheets.

For Elvis the show must go on.

colonel snow
stefan
QUOTE (colonel snow @ May 12 2007, 09:23 PM)
6 dec. 1976 Elvis sprained his ankle; perhaps he got painkillers?.
Vernon was taken to the hospital again with symptons of a heart attack.

the december 1976 are not bad however Elvis forgot words to his songs and must read the words from sheets.

For Elvis the show must go on.
colonel snow

Elvis sprained his ankle on december 5th.

There indeed were some great shows during this season. You can roughly break this season into 3 parts:

- December 2nd - december 4th: all great shows.
- december 5th - december 9th: due to Elvis spraining his ankle on the 5th before the show and the probable intake of medications that goes with it the shows on these dates were mediocre at best. These are the 'worst' shows this season.
- December 10th - December 12th: good shows again, although not the same level as at the start of the season.

Other things that got the stress level up were the light heart-atatck of his father on December 8th and having around both Ginger's and Priscilla's parents for the last weekend (Priscilla's parents were at both the December 11th shows). Surprisingly the best shows (at the start) were the ones that Priscilla attended (the 1st 5
shows).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as 'the letter' goes, some claim it to be false while others claim it to be real. Being in the state of mind he was probably in around that time he could have verry well written it indeed, on the other hand I don't believe Elvis was the kind of man who would left behind such 'notes' to be found by other people, especially as his private life was better secured than Fort Knox at the time.
NightRider
QUOTE (stefan @ May 13 2007, 12:28 PM)
As far as 'the letter' goes, some claim it to be false while others claim it to be real. Being in the state of mind he was probably in around that time he could have verry well written it indeed, on the other hand I don't believe Elvis was the kind of man who would left behind such 'notes' to be found by other people, especially as his private life was better secured than Fort Knox at the time.

Agreed Stefan....can't see that Elvis, had he have wrote that, would have left it around to be found. Certainly can't see that he would have wrote it on the wall of a Hotel room undecided.gif
Scatter
The letter has been evaluated by experts.............it's a forgery.
Jess_11
QUOTE (fonziesplace @ May 12 2007, 02:29 AM)
The letter mention was supposed to be written by Elvis. Stories said it was found Minister. THe same note was also written on the bathroom wall. If this is true, you need to remember by this time Elvis hated Vegas. So I

Elvis was unwell, the Colonel insisted he go on stage, anyway. Yes, he had sprained his ankle, he also explained this to the audience.

There were a lot of gamblers in Vegas, a friend of mine and Elvis' was there, too. She said that the fans weren't the ones who would leave, but the ones who were gambling (as that is what they were there for, gambling).

Jess
stefan
I have ask a friend who went to this show and she also comfirms this to happen. She also went to the show of December 7, she said Elvis seem different. He seem to be high on the drugs that he was taken even though it didn't really show it in his voice. But his moves clearly showed it.

Having the show from the 7th on cd (released as 'Run On') one can clearly hear Elvis speak in a slurred way, saying the 'drugs' (I'd rather call it 'medication'in this case) didn't affect his voice is nonsense. On the other hand, his 'moves' probably showed he sprained his ankle 2 days before and have nothing to do with any 'medication' intake whatsoever !

The 'Run On' cd is incomplete though as it's missing quite some monologue, which was cut out to fit the show onto 1 cd.
First In Line
Isn't this the letter Wayne Newton supposable bought and turned it into the song "The Elvis Letter"?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.