Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Today in history
Elvis-TheKingsCourt > All Elvis > All Elvis
Pages: 1, 2
stefan
Many years ago I've made a similair topic on the forum, but I'm too lazy too look it up so I'd like to start all over again. I won't be doing this everyday, only when I have time or when there are important things on that day. Feel free to add to this topic if you want to !

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 17th ...

* 1955 ~ Performing in San Angelo, Texas

* 1956 ~ Elvis and the band left Winston - Salem at 5.50 a.m. on a flight to New York City. *

* 1957 ~ Filming 'Loving You'

* 1958 ~ Filming 'King Creole'. This would be Elvis's final 50's movie and by many is regarded as one of his best.

* 1963 ~ Filming 'Fun In Acapulco'

* 1966 ~ Recording the soundtrack to MGM's 'Spinout'. Songs recorded this day were:

- Never Say Yes
- Spinout
- All That I Am
- Adam & Evil
- I'll Be Back

All That I Am - take 2

* 1967 ~ Elvis continued to buy pickup trucks for the guys, his relatives and everyone who worked on the property. Today's purchases included 1 Chevy custom El Camino, 2 Dodges and 5 Fords, as well as 2 more house trailers.*

* 1969 ~ Elvis started recording again at American Sound Studio's in Memphis after recovering from Laryngitis. Songs recorded this day were:

- Stranger In My Own Hometown
- True Love Travels On A Gravel Road

True Love Travels On A Gravel Road - takes 6 & 7

* 1970 ~ Performing in Las Vegas. Recordings were made tthis night (for the upcoming album 'On Stage) and the songs recorded on this day were:

- Love Me Tender (dinner show)
- Don't Cry Daddy (uncertain) (dinner show)
- Kentucky Rain (dinner show)
- Let It Be Me (dinner show)
- Walk A Mile In My Shoes (uncertain) (dinner show)
- Sweet Caroline (dinner show)
- Polk Salad Annie (dinner show)

- Don't Cry Daddy (midnight show)
- Kentucky Rain (midnight show)
- Let It Be Me (midnight show)
- C.C. Rider (midnight show)
- Long Tall Sally (midnight show)
- Polk Salad Annie (midnight show)
- Walk A Mile In My Shoes (midnight show)

Let It Be Me - Las Vegas, February 17th 1970 midnight show

* 1971 ~ Performing in Las Vegas.

* 1972 ~ Performing in Las Vegas. Recordings were made for inclusion on a possible future album and the songs recorded this day were:

- Never Bee To Spain (midnight show)
- A Big Hunk O' Love (midnight show)
- You Gave Me A Mountain (midnight show)
- American Trilogy (midnight show)

All songs from this day still remain unreleased

* 1973 ~ Performing In Las Vegas.

* 1977 ~ Performing in Savanah, Georgia.

Trying To Get To You - Savanah, Georgia - February 17th 1977

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All recording information taken from Keith Flynn's excellent website !
* Taken from the ElvisNews website !
Honky Tonk Angel
This is a really cool idea, not that I could contribute much, my Elvis knowledge is nowhere near most of you guys, but it's fun reading it. Hope to see it continue
stefan
QUOTE (Honky Tonk Angel @ Feb 18 2013, 09:06 PM) *
This is a really cool idea, not that I could contribute much, my Elvis knowledge is nowhere near most of you guys, but it's fun reading it. Hope to see it continue

Glad you liked it thumbup.gif

Like I said, it won't be a daily thing. I'm intending however to add to this at least 2-3 times a week.
Tigerman
February 18 1973 After Elvis had finished Suspicious Minds, during the band introductions he was attacked on stage by some Peruvian men.

stefan
QUOTE (Tigerman @ Feb 18 2013, 11:49 PM) *
February 18 1973 After Elvis had finished Suspicious Minds, during the band introductions he was attacked on stage by some Peruvian men.

"
40 years ago today ! If such a thing happenend today it would be all over the media around the world.

One thing that I always find amazing is how the band keeps playing the 'introduction music' as if nothing is happening.

Thanks for adding to this topic Einar !
Tigerman
February 21 Charlotte, NC 1977

Click to view attachment

set list:

Also Sprach Zarathustra/See See Rider
I Got A Woman/Amen
Are You Lonesome Tonight?
Reconsider Baby
Love Me
Moody Blue
You Gave Me A Mountain
Jailhouse Rock
O Sole Mio/It's Now Or Never
Little Sister
Teddy Bear/Don't Be Cruel
My Way
Release Me
introductions
Early Morning Rain
What'd I Say
Johnny B. Goode
Band solos
Love Letters
School Days
Hurt
Why Me Lord
Can't Help Falling In Love/Closing Vamp

uploaded by BruceEllis1964
elvislady
Thanks stefan and tigerman.....great idea for a thread.

elvislady cool2.gif
stefan
Thanks elvislady !

Today I had actually made a new post in this topic in the same style as my first post. At about 80% I accidently clicked it away and couldn't kick myself hard enough to redo the whole thing blush.gif Tomorrow I will add to this topic though !

@Einar, thanks for adding to this topic when I don't buddy !! notworthy.gif
elvislady
QUOTE (stefan @ Feb 22 2013, 12:33 AM) *
Thanks elvislady !

Today I had actually made a new post in this topic in the same style as my first post. At about 80% I accidently clicked it away and couldn't kick myself hard enough to redo the whole thing blush.gif Tomorrow I will add to this topic though !

@Einar, thanks for adding to this topic when I don't buddy !! notworthy.gif

Stefan...I have done the same thing a few times...lol It is so annoying try and copy some of it especially if you know you are adding a long post...It does help a little!!

elvislady blush.gif
elvislady
Today is Friday, February 22, 2013

Today in
Elvis Presley History

1956 - Elvis Presley entered the music charts for the first time with "Heartbreak Hotel."

1992 - The Elvis Presley album "From The Heart - His Greatest Love Songs" hit #4 in the U.K.

February 22-1955 Elvis performed at the City Hall, Hope, Arkansas.

February 22-1956 Elvis performed at the City Auditorium, Way-cross, Georgia at 7.00 and 9.00 pm.

February 22- 1958 Elvis went to the birthday party for Jan Shepard, who played his sister in the movie. He showed up with a stuffed tiger on his shoulders that he had named Danny Boy, after the song he had often sung on the set. He also gave Shepard a movie camera, with which home movies of the party were shot.

elvislady biggrin.gif
stefan
QUOTE (elvislady @ Feb 22 2013, 01:06 PM) *
Today is Friday, February 22, 2013

Today in
Elvis Presley History

1956 - Elvis Presley entered the music charts for the first time with "Heartbreak Hotel."

1992 - The Elvis Presley album "From The Heart - His Greatest Love Songs" hit #4 in the U.K.

February 22-1955 Elvis performed at the City Hall, Hope, Arkansas.

February 22-1956 Elvis performed at the City Auditorium, Way-cross, Georgia at 7.00 and 9.00 pm.

February 22- 1958 Elvis went to the birthday party for Jan Shepard, who played his sister in the movie. He showed up with a stuffed tiger on his shoulders that he had named Danny Boy, after the song he had often sung on the set. He also gave Shepard a movie camera, with which home movies of the party were shot.

elvislady biggrin.gif

Great ! notworthy.gif

If you want to add to this topic this week, feel free to do so. I have night shift this week (am just 15 minutes awake as I've started last night) so I won't be very much on the forum this week untill friday !!
elvislady
QUOTE (stefan @ Feb 25 2013, 06:51 PM) *
Great ! notworthy.gif

If you want to add to this topic this week, feel free to do so. I have night shift this week (am just 15 minutes awake as I've started last night) so I won't be very much on the forum this week untill friday !!

Ok thanks stefan I will do my best....lol.....happy night shifting!!!

elvislady biggrin.gif
stefan
QUOTE (elvislady @ Feb 25 2013, 09:28 PM) *
Ok thanks stefan I will do my best....lol.....happy night shifting!!!

elvislady biggrin.gif

No way, night shift is the worst shift there is down.gif (but it gets my bills paid, so I will stop complaing lol)
elvislady
Today is Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Today in
Elvis Presley History

1958 - Elvis Presley finished recording the song "Wear My Ring Around Your Neck." He added the piano part and guitar back-slap percussion part. The song was released in April 1958 with "Doncha' Think It's Time" as the flip side.

1964 - Elvis Presley arrived at Paramount to begin pre-production on the movie "Roustabout."

1966 - U.S. President Lyndon B. Johnson visited Elvis Presley on the set of the movie "Spinout."

2007 - The 36-track "Readymade Digs Elvis" was released.

I was 11 days old in 1964 when elvis began pre-production on the movie "Roustabout."

Its my sisters Birthday today!

elvislady biggrin.gif
Tigerman

march 27 1970 - Elvis Opens up his engagement in the Houston astrodome. on this day he held two concerts. The Houston Astrodome the first venue Elvis performed at outside Las Vega since his return to stage.

Link to a great thread on the subject of Elvis in the astrodome: http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/index.php?showtopic=13966

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Set lists provided by Ben from the thread mentioned above.

February 27th, 1970 (2:00pm). Houston, TX. Houston Astrodome

Songs Performed at This Show: All Shook Up: I Got A Woman: Blue Suede Shoes: Don't Cry Daddy: Heartbreak Hotel: Hound Dog: Love Me Tender: One Night: Release Me: Walk A Mile in My Shoes-In the Ghetto: I Can't Stop Lovin’ You: Polk Salad Annie: Introduction of Band: Suspicious Minds: Can't Help Falling In Love: Love Me Tender (Instrumental)
ATTENDANCE: 16,708

February 27th, 1970 (7.45pm). Houston, TX. Houston Astrodome(CD-R)
Songs Performed at This Show: All Shook Up: I Got A Woman: Blue Suede Shoes: Don't Cry Daddy: Heartbreak Hotel: Hound Dog: Love Me Tender: Kentucky Rain: Release Me: Walk A Mile in My Shoes: In the Ghetto: I Can't Stop Lovin’ You: Polk Salad Annie: Introduction of Band: Suspicious Minds: Can't Help Falling In Love: Love Me Tender (Instrumental)
ATTENDANCE: 36,299

Click to view attachment
stefan
Great work elvislady and Einar ... thanks for posting ! notworthy.gif
stefan
Sorry for not updating this topic in a while, but last Friday after I got home from my night shift I got sick with the flu and spent the whole saturday in bed. Feeling a little bit better now, but nothing to write home about. Will update the topic again when I'm really better !
elvislady
Wow stunning shots einar!!

Stefan now I am back on I will post some history when you don't have the time.

elvislady biggrin.gif
Honky Tonk Angel
Fantastic pictures from the Houston Astrodome thumbup.gif
elvislady
Today is Monday, March 4, 2013

Today in
Elvis Presley History

1993 - The Elvis Presley compilation album "The King of Rock 'n' Roll - The Complete 50's Masters" was named Best Reissue Album in Rolling Stone magazine's 1993 Music Awards Critic's Picks.

March 04, 1955 Elvis most likely performed at the High School, De Kalb, Texas.

March 04, 1956 Elvis and Gene Smith flew home to Memphis.

March 04, 1959 Elvis and Vera visited the set of a Viking Movie that was being made at the film studios in Munchen-Geiselgasteig. Elvis, Red and Lamar returned to the Moulin Rouge alone.

March 04, 1968 Elvis reported to MGM for reproduction of his new film, Live A Little, Love A Little.

March 04, 1972 Elvis returned to Los Angeles, moving back into the unsold Hill-crest house, while Priscilla remained at the Mono vale address.

March 04, 1974 Elvis performed at the Civic Center, Monroe, Louisiana. Due to internal arguments within Voice, Sherrill Nielsen left the tour after this date and was replaced by Per-Erik Hallin.

March 04, 1977 Elvis and friends arrived on Hawaii and checked into the Hilton Rainbow Tower. After 2 days Elvis and the Alden sisters, including a couple of guys moved to a beach house on the west side of Oahu.

elvislady
elvislady

Today is Tuesday March 5th, 2013

March 05, 1955 Elvis performed at the Louisiana Hayride, Municipal Auditorium, Shreveport.

March 05, 1956 Elvis and Gene Smith flew to Nashville and returned the same evening to Memphis. This was most likely to reaffirm the new exclusive contract with the Colonel. Bob Neal and Hank Snow were now officially out of the picture.

March 05, 1959 Elvis and Vera went for a boat ride at Lakes Starnberg and once again Elvis returned to the Moulin Rouge that evening, to wind up his 3 day leave.

March 05, 1960 Elvis was release form the army at 9:15 a.m. He received his mustering out check of $109.54 and was honorable discharged. By limousine, he and the Colonel traveled to New Jersey, where they were joined by Lamar and Rex Mansfield. In the evening they all went to Washington, D.C.

March 05, 1964 Elvis reported to the Paramount makeup department for a haircut by the studio barber; followed by a 1:00 p.m. music meeting.

March 05, 1965 Elvis was on his way to Los Angeles when he confided to Larry Geller his disappointment that after all of his study and meditation he had had no "experience of God". Shortly after this conversation Elvis stopped the motor home in the middle of the desert as he saw a cloud formation that resembled the face of Joseph Stalin, turning into the face of Jesus.

March 05, 1967 Elvis went to California by plane with Charlie Hodge, Ray Sitton, Marty Lacker, Red West, Billy Smith, Larry Geller, as well as a new member of the group, Gee Gee Gambill, who was married to Elvis' cousin Patsy.

March 05, 1968 Elvis began with script readings and rehearsals for his new film. Live A Little, Love A Little.

March 05, 1969 Elvis was back in Los Angeles and began with his last feature film Change Of Habit. On this and the following night Elvis recorded the movie soundtrack at the Decca Universal Studio, working each evening from 7:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m.

March 05, 1973 Elvis bought $2,600 worth of jewelry in Vegas.

March 05, 1974 Elvis performed at the Memorial Coliseum, Auburn University, Monroe, Alabama.

elvislady biggrin.gif
elvislady
Today is Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Today in
Elvis Presley History

1954 - Elvis Presley filed his first income tax return. He listed a total $916.33 as his total income.

1964 - The Elvis Presley movie "Kissin' Cousins" opened nationwide.

1976 - The album "Elvis - A Legendary Performer, Vol. 2" hit #46 in the U.S.

elvislady biggrin.gif
Tigerman
QUOTE (elvislady @ Mar 6 2013, 09:07 AM) *
1964 - The Elvis Presley movie "Kissin' Cousins" opened nationwide.

Both the title track and "Once is enough" are two hidden "Hollywood" 60's gems in my opinion. Thanks to Bazza for opening my mind to them (And many other movie tracks). notworthy.gif

elvislady
Thanks so much for posting the clip einar....when you here it like this it makes so much sense.I agree 100% I did just that took the bull by the horns and went to Graceland and Tupelo...best thing I did...Don't leave it to long to go!

jeanette thumbup.gif
elvislady

Today is Thursday,march 7, 2013

Today in
Elvis Presley History

March 07, 1955 Elvis performed at the City Auditorium, Paris, Tennessee. Elvis, Scotty and Bill were now the headliners on a show made up for the most past of lesser-known artists.

March 07, 1960 Elvis stayed up all night on the way home to Memphis. The train arrived in Memphis at 7:45 a.m. in the middle of another snow storm. After greeting fans, Elvis rode out to Graceland. In the afternoon there was a press conference in Vernon's office in a small building just behind Graceland. Elvis told everybody how glad he was to be home again and Anita Wood joined him later in the evening.

March 07, 1968 In the morning the script rehearsals continued. Later Elvis went to Western Recorders, at 6000 Sun set Boulevard, where Billy Strange, is firmly in charge. Elvis worked on the soundtrack, from 7:00 p.m. to 3:00 a.m. with songwriter Mac Davis, in attendance for Elvis' rendition of his "A Little Less Conversation".

March 07, 1974 Elvis performed at the Civic Center, Monroe, Louisiana.

stefan
Thanks for keeping this topic updated (alive) ! notworthy.gif
elvislady
QUOTE (stefan @ Mar 7 2013, 11:33 AM) *
Thanks for keeping this topic updated (alive) ! notworthy.gif

No problem stefan...I enjoy doing it! biggrin.gif

jeanette
Tigerman
QUOTE (elvislady @ Mar 7 2013, 11:26 AM) *
March 07, 1974 Elvis performed at the Civic Center, Monroe, Louisiana.

A fantastic tour, I hope to hear all the shows from his March '74 tour one day, March 7 included. notworthy2.gif
stefan
QUOTE (Tigerman @ Mar 7 2013, 06:18 PM) *
A fantastic tour, I hope to hear all the shows from his March '74 tour one day, March 7 included. notworthy2.gif

One of my favorite tours with, imo, the best versions of Steamroller Blues ever !!
elvislady
Today is Friday March 8th, 2013

Today In Elvis Presley History

March 08, 1955 Elvis performed at the Catholic Club, Helena, Arkansas.

March 08, 1956 Elvis received another speeding ticket in Memphis.

March 08, 1960 Elvis went to Forrest Hill Cemetery to see for the first time the marker and stone angels that had been placed at his mother's grave. From the time of her burial until her body was moved to Graceland after Elvis' death, there was a standing order at Burke's Florist to deliver fresh flowers once a week to her grave.

March 08, 1961 Elvis drove his Rolls to Nashville to be honored by the Tennessee legislature. Accompanied by the governor's daughter Ann, Elvis got a private tour of the mansion. On his way back to Memphis Elvis stopped at the Tennessee State Prison to visit Johnny Bragg, lead singer for the Prisonaires.

March 08, 1968 Script rehearsals continued at MGM.

March 08, 1969 On this and most other weekends during filming Elvis relaxed in Palm Springs.

March 08, 1971 Elvis and Priscilla attended the broadcast of the first Ali-Frazier fight at Ellis Auditorium. Elvis wore his gold "championship" belt from the International. He was joined by a large group of guys and former sheriff Bill Morris. Later in the evening Elvis went to the Memphian for the first time since his return home and would attend the movies for the next 4 nights.

March 08, 1973 Elvis left Las Vegas and flew to Los Angeles where, except for occasional weekends in Palm Springs, he remained until the beginning of his April tour.

March 08, 1974 Elvis performed at the Civic Center, Monroe, Louisiana.
elvislady
Today Is Monday March 11th 2013

Today In Elvis History

March 11, 1955 Elvis performed at the Jimmie Thompson's Arena, Alexandria, Louisiana.

March 11, 1960 Elvis had his hair dyed black and then gave Elizabeth driving lessons in the yellow Lincoln he had bought for her to use. Charlie Hodge and Joe Esposito came to Graceland too and were joined by Red West and Cliff Gleaves a little later.

March 11, 1964 Elvis begged Roustabout' director John Rich to let him do his own fight scenes. Of course there was an accident and Elvis required stitches to sew up the cut above his eye. However, there were no shooting days lost, because the motorcycle accident was already filmed and Elvis' cut could well be the result of that.

March 11, 1968 Elvis returned to Western Recorders to cut the vocal for "Almost In Love".

March 11, 1974 Elvis performed at the Coliseum, Hampton Roads, Virginia.

March 11, 1975 Elvis went into the RCA studio again, and worked just like the day before. He recorded 4 masters once again, including "TROUBLE" and "Shake A Hand".
stefan
Shake A Hand is one of my favorite songs ... recorded 38 years ago today ...
elvislady
QUOTE (stefan @ Mar 11 2013, 09:22 PM) *
Shake A Hand is one of my favorite songs ... recorded 38 years ago today ...

You can here in elvis voice he enjoys singing this song...

My fav lyrics from "shake a hand"

Be truthful to me,
I'll be truthful to you
I'm in love with you so
Till I don't know what to do

Here are the full Lyrics

(words & music by Joe Morris)
Just leave it to me
Don't ever be ashamed
Just give me a chance
I'll take care of everything

Your troubles I'll share
Let me know and I'll be there
I'll stay close to you
Anyplace and anywhere

Shake a hand, shake a hand
Shake a hand if you can

Be truthful to me,
I'll be truthful to you
I'm in love with you so
Till I don't know what to do

So, let's call it a day
I said all I have to say
Except don't forget to pray
And shake a hand ev'ry day

Shake a hand, shake a hand,
Shake a hand if you can

elvislady biggrin.gif
elvislady
Today Is Thursday 14th March

Today In Elvis History

March 14, 1956 Elvis performed at the Fox Theater, Atlanta, Georgia, at 4:30, 7:18 and 10:06 p.m. Elvis arrived at the theater for an 11:30 a.m. dress rehearsal.

March 14, 1958 Elvis and his entourage got off the train in Dallas and rented Cadillacs for the drive to Memphis. Back at Graceland a reporter asked Elvis how his parents felt about his going into the army. Elvis admitted that his mother was very upset about that, like all mothers. On the question of whether his popularity would fade during his absence Elvis responded: " That's the sixty-four-dollar question. I wish I knew."

March 14, 1958 On this day in 1958, the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) certified the first gold record. It was Perry Como’s Catch a Falling Star on RCA Victor Records. The tune became the first to win million-seller certification, though other songs dating as far back as the 1920s may have sold a million records or more. Due to lack of a certification organization like the RIAA, they weren’t awarded the golden platter. One of the next three gold records that were certified after Perry Como’s million seller was "Hard Headed Woman" by Elvis Presley.

March 14, 1960 The cast of Holiday on Ice visited Graceland during the day. In the evening the Memphian was rent to screen some movies.

March 14, 1962 Elvis bought some jewelry from Harry Levitch, including a handmade fourteen-karat yellow gold diamond tie tack.

March 14, 1963 Publicity stills were taken in the morning and Hal Wallis approved a request from Elvis to keep 2 of the black silk shirts and the flamenco outfit that he wore in the movie.

March 14, 1974 Elvis performed at the Middle Tennessee State University Athletic Center, Murfreesboro, Tennessee.

elvislady biggrin.gif
elvislady
Today Is Saturday 16 March 201

Today In Elvis History

March 16, 1955 Elvis performed at the Ruffin Theater, Covington, Tennessee.

March 16, 1956 Elvis and the band flew to New York City from Atlanta, arriving at 4:03 p.m.

March 16, 1957 Elvis received a telephone call from his parents; they announced that they had found the ideal home; it was called Graceland.

March 16, 1971 Dr. Nick flew in from Memphis with Dr. Meyer, an ophthalmologist, who treated Elvis at his hotel before admitting him to Nashville's Baptist Hospital, where a diagnosis of iritis and secondary glaucoma was confirmed. Elvis was visited by Barbara Leigh and Tennessee governor Winfield Dunn. At the studio Felton Jarvis resumed work, overdubbing background vocal in anticipation of Elvis' return.

March 16, 1974 Elvis performed at the Mid-South Coliseum, Memphis, Tennessee at 2:30 and 8:30 p.m. This was Elvis' first appearance in his hometown since 1961 and the 4 shows that were initially booked, were sold out immediately. So the Colonel added a fifth one, which were the perfect occasion for a live homecoming album and so the perfect way to avoid having to coax Elvis back into the studio. Elvis seemed both happy and mildly amused to be there and he declared: "Hello Memphis. It's good to be home".

March 16, 1975 This day was the first of a 3 day rehearsals period beginning each day at noon. Like always Elvis tried a lot of songs which were never performed on stage.

elvislady biggrin.gif
elvislady
Today Is Sunday 17 March 2013

Today In Elvis History

March 17, 1955 Elvis performed at the Dessau Hall, Austin, Texas.

March 17, 1956 Elvis went to the Nola Studio at 12:30 p.m. for a rehearsal. At 4:00 p.m. he went to the CBS Studio. Elvis performed at the Stage Show, CBS Studio, at 8:00 p.m. With Heartbreak Hotel storming up the national charts, Elvis was allowed to make his own song selection and included both the new single and Blue Suede Shoes.

March 17, 1957 Elvis left Los Angeles by train for Memphis.

March 17, 1958 Elvis went shopping at Pop Tunes and got a haircut at Jim's Barber Shop downtown.

March 17, 1971 Elvis had to remain in the hospital and the remainder of the paid-up studio time was given over to James Burton, who used the session band to record a solo album for A & M Records.

March 17, 1972 Elvis flew to Las Vegas for several days.

March 17, 1974 Elvis performed at the Mid-South Coliseum, Memphis at 2:30 and 8:30 p.m.

March 17, 1976 The first tour of this year started with some confusion. Glen Hardin resigned and Burton and Tutt indicated that they would leave as well. At the last minute Burton returned, the others were replaced. Elvis performed at the Freedom Hall Civic Center, Johnson City, Tennessee.

elvislady biggrin.gif
elvislady
Today Is Monday March 18th 2013

Today In Elvis History

March 18, 1956 Elvis and the band flew from New York City to Charleston, South Carolina, arriving at 11:03 a.m. He performed at the County Hall, Charleston, South Carolina at 3:30 and 8:15 p.m.

March 18, 1957 Elvis sent a telegram to June Juanico to meet his train during a brief layover in New Orleans. There she told him that she was engaged to be married. Elvis arrived in Memphis at 11:35 p.m.

March 18, 1959 Elvis was thrown from a jeep rounding a corner and hurt his knee. He was ordered to rest for 3 days and requested that there would not be an announcement to the press.

March 18, 1961 Elvis was on his way to Los Angeles, but stayed the night in Chicago at the O'Hara Inn near the airport.

March 18, 1962 Elvis went to RCA Studio B in Nashville to record 7 sides from 7:30 p.m. to 6:30 a.m. for the album Pot Luck. He also recorded "You'll Be Gone", which he had co-written with Red West.

March 18, 1963 Elvis completed dubbing on Fun In Acapulco.

March 18, 1974 Elvis performed at the Coliseum ,Richmond, Virginia.

March 18, 1975 Elvis performed at the Showroom, Las Vegas, Hilton, Las Vegas. The "invitation only show" was postponed until the final night.

March 18, 1976 Elvis performed at the Freedom Hall Civic Center, Johnson City, Tennessee.

March 18, 1957 Elvis sent a telegram to June Juanico to meet his train during a brief layover in New Orleans. There she told him that she was engaged to be married. Elvis arrived in Memphis at 11:35 p.m.

How mad was she marrying someone else!!!!
stefan
Thanks for keeping it up notworthy2.gif notworthy2.gif notworthy2.gif

Work is busy at the moment (collegues are on strike at the moment, not me though, so a lot of work !)
elvislady
QUOTE (stefan @ Mar 18 2013, 07:11 PM) *
Thanks for keeping it up notworthy2.gif notworthy2.gif notworthy2.gif

Work is busy at the moment (collegues are on strike at the moment, not me though, so a lot of work !)

Thats ok stefan...so long as you are ok!! keep up your good work..............at work..lol

elvislady up.gif
elvislady
Today Is Tuesday March 19th

Today In Elvis History

March 19, 1954 Elvis left Precision Tool, where he was not happy with either the work or the razzing he was forced to put up with because of the length of his hair.

March 19, 1955 Elvis performed at the Grand Prize Jamboree, Eagles Hall, Houston, Texas.

March 19, 1956 Elvis performed at the Township Auditorium, Columbia, South Carolina.

March 19, 1957 Elvis went to see the home his parents found earlier that week. As soon as he had seen Graceland he made a $1,000 deposit toward its purchase for himself and his parents.

March 19, 1960 Elvis rented the Rainbow Rollerdrome for a roller-skating war with the guys.

March 19, 1962 Elvis stayed the night at the Anchor Hotel in Nashville and went into the studio again from 7:30 p.m. to 2:00 a.m. and recorded 4 songs, including: "She's Not You".

March 19, 1966 Elvis flew to Las Vegas for the weekend.

March 19, 1971 Elvis was discharged from the hospital and Barbara Leigh flew back to California, while Joyce Bova arrived from Washington to accompany Elvis to Memphis.

March 19, 1973 Jessie Presley. Elvis' grandfather, died of a heart attack in Louisville. Elvis did not attend the funeral.

March 19, 1974 Elvis performed at the Middle Tennessee State University Athletic Center, Murfreesboro, Tennessee.

March 19, 1976 Elvis performed at the Freedom Hall Civic Center, Johnson City, Tennessee.

I have a got Joyce bova,s Book Read with a open mind!

"Don't Ask Forever: My Love Affair With Elvis"

elvislady

elvislady
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

elvislady
elvislady
Today Is March 20th 2013

Today In Elvis History

March 20, 1956 Elvis performed at the Bell Municipal Auditorium, Augusta, Georgia. Meanwhile Elvis' parents moved into the new house on Audubon Drive.

March 20, 1960 Elvis and his entourage, Scotty and DJ left for Nashville for a recording session. They were joined by all musicians from the June 1958 session. They worked from 8:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m. Elvis completed 6 sides for an urgently needed new single, which was pressed and shipped within 2 days, and toward his upcoming album.

March 20, 1961 Elvis arrived at the Paramount studio to begin his work on Blue Hawaii. After preproduction meetings, Elvis went to Radio Recorders to rehearse with the band.

March 20, 1962 Elvis left for Los Angeles in his new Dodge motor home.

March 20, 1967 After 11 days off, Elvis finally returned to the studio to begin rehearsals for Clambake.

March 20, 1974 Elvis performed at the Mid-South Coliseum, Memphis, Tennessee. Without preparations RCA had its mobile recording truck on hand to record this final show of the tour.

March 20, 1976 Elvis performed at the Coliseum, Charlotte, North Carolina at 2:30 and 8:30 p.m. Elvis seemed confused to both fans and reporters.

elvislady biggrin.gif
Tigerman
QUOTE (elvislady @ Mar 20 2013, 08:53 AM) *
Today Is March 20th 2013

March 20, 1976 Elvis performed at the Coliseum, Charlotte, North Carolina at 2:30 and 8:30 p.m. Elvis seemed confused to both fans and reporters.

elvislady biggrin.gif

If im not mistaking this was the concert Elvis also had a tad weird haircut, where his hair looked like a hat. whistling.gif

elvislady
Today Is Saturday 23rd March 2013

Today In Elvis History

March 23, 1955 Elvis, Scotty, Bill and Bob Neal flew to New York City and this flight was almost certainly Elvis' first airplane flight. The Arthur Godfrey audition took place at 2:30 p.m. on the 14th floor at 501 Madison Avenue.

March 23, 1956 Elvis performed at the SS Mount Vernon, Washington, D.C. where he was the featured attraction on the Country Music Cruise promoted by well-known country DJ and promoter Connie B. Gay.

March 23, 1957 Elvis attended an all-night gospel singing at Ellis Auditorium.

March 23, 1958 This was Elvis' last night before his inductions. Elvis, Anita and some friends went to a drive-in and afterwards everyone went roller-skating. Elvis didn't go to bed all night.

March 23, 1961 Soundtrack recording at Radio Recorders ran from 1:00 tot 5:22 p.m.

March 23, 1970 Elvis returned to Los Angeles and the next evening he flew on to Memphis.

March 23, 1971 Elvis bought 25 watches at $75 each from Memphis jeweler Harry Levitch.

March 23, 1977 Elvis performed at the Arizona State University Activities Center, Tempe, Arizona. Just before stepping out on stage Elvis whispered to his cousin: "You didn't think I'd make it, did you?" and Billy recalled that Elvis put on "a hell of a show".

elvislady
elvislady
Today Is Monday 25 March 2013

Today In Elvis History

March 25, 1955 Elvis performed at the Dermott High School, Dermott, Arkansas.

March 25, 1956 Elvis flew from New York to Los Angeles for his Hollywood screen test and was picked up by the Colonel, Tom Diskin and Leonard Hirshan, who recalled Elvis getting out off the plane with a camera around his neck like any other tourist. Elvis' band drove back to Memphis stopping to visit Carl Perkins in the Hospital in Dover, Delaware, with a get-well message from Elvis.

March 25, 1957 Elvis sent a telegram of explanation and apology to Private Nixon, with whom there was an incident 3 days before. Then there was a meeting between Elvis and Judge Boushe in chambers and the incident was settled without legal action. Together with his parents, Elvis finalized their purchase of Graceland for $102,500 and within a few days Elvis hired a local interior decorator, George Golden.

March 25, 1958 At Fort Chaffee, Elvis got himself the traditional GI haircut before a crowd of reporters and photographers.

March 25, 1961 Elvis flew to Honolulu, where he arrived at 12:15 p.m. with country comedian Minnie Pearl. After watching the way which Elvis was mobbed, she told him: "those women could kill you", but Elvis assured her: " they're not going to hurt me". Later at 3:30 there was a press conference in the Carousel Room at the Hawaiian Village Hotel. Elvis performed at the Bloch Arena, Honolulu, and the show raised over $62,000 toward a memorial building for the USS Arizona sailors.

March 25, 1970 Elvis arrived home in Memphis for a couple of days.

March 25, 1977 Elvis performed at the University of Oklahoma Lloyd Noble Center, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.

elvislady
stefan
QUOTE (elvislady @ Mar 25 2013, 09:45 AM) *
Today Is Monday 25 March 2013

Today In Elvis History

March 25, 1955 Elvis performed at the Dermott High School, Dermott, Arkansas.

March 25, 1956 Elvis flew from New York to Los Angeles for his Hollywood screen test and was picked up by the Colonel, Tom Diskin and Leonard Hirshan, who recalled Elvis getting out off the plane with a camera around his neck like any other tourist. Elvis' band drove back to Memphis stopping to visit Carl Perkins in the Hospital in Dover, Delaware, with a get-well message from Elvis.

March 25, 1957 Elvis sent a telegram of explanation and apology to Private Nixon, with whom there was an incident 3 days before. Then there was a meeting between Elvis and Judge Boushe in chambers and the incident was settled without legal action. Together with his parents, Elvis finalized their purchase of Graceland for $102,500 and within a few days Elvis hired a local interior decorator, George Golden.

March 25, 1958 At Fort Chaffee, Elvis got himself the traditional GI haircut before a crowd of reporters and photographers.

March 25, 1961 Elvis flew to Honolulu, where he arrived at 12:15 p.m. with country comedian Minnie Pearl. After watching the way which Elvis was mobbed, she told him: "those women could kill you", but Elvis assured her: " they're not going to hurt me". Later at 3:30 there was a press conference in the Carousel Room at the Hawaiian Village Hotel. Elvis performed at the Bloch Arena, Honolulu, and the show raised over $62,000 toward a memorial building for the USS Arizona sailors.

March 25, 1970 Elvis arrived home in Memphis for a couple of days.

March 25, 1977 Elvis performed at the University of Oklahoma Lloyd Noble Center, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.

elvislady

Elvis didn't perform in Oklahoma City on this date, but in Norman, Oklahoma winking0001.gif

My small involvement in today's history:

Elvis Presley - Norman, Oklahoma, March 25th 1977

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

© The Daily Oklahoman (Paul Southerland)

Pictures taken from: Elvis in Concert site
elvislady
Thanks Stefan...I think someone forgot that they are both about 20miles apart...lol i suppose its easy to mix them up!

elvislady wub.gif
elvislady
Today Is Tuesday

Today In Elvis History

March 26, 1953 Elvis visited the Tennessee State Employment Security office, listing his address as 462 Alabama, where the family had moved to an apartment in a large Victorian home at a rent of $50 a month. Elvis filled out the application carefully with a pencil, noting under "leisure time activities": "Sings, playing ball, working on car, going to movies", and indicating that he would like to work as a machinist. At the end of the application form, the interviewer noted that his appearance as a "rather flashily dressed 'playboy' type was denied, by fact had worked hard past 3 summers, wanted a job dealing with people.

March 26, 1955 Elvis performed at the Louisiana Hayride, Municipal Auditorium, Shreveport.

March 26, 1956 Elvis did a screen test for Hal Wallis at Paramount Studios which lasted 3 days.

March 26, 1960 The Frank Sinatra show was taped at 6:15 p.m. for airing on May 12. Elvis performed "Stuck On You", "Fame And Fortune", (his new single) and with Frank Sinatra a duet of "Witchcraft" and "Love Me Tender".

March 26, 1962 Elvis reported to Paramount for preproduction of his new picture, Girls! Girls! Girls! Soundtrack recording sessions began at Radio Recorders and ran from 11:00 a.m. until after midnight. In 3 days, 15 songs were recorded, including "Return To Sender".

March 26, 1971 Elvis received a bill for an American flag pin, he had ordered while he was in the hospital from another jeweler, Lowell Hays.

March 26, 1974 Elvis flew to California and most likely remained in Los Angeles and Palm Springs for the next 2 and a half weeks.

March 26, 1976 During the evening Elvis came across an accident on I-240 and after displaying his badge, he helped the victims.

March 26, 1977 Elvis performed at the University of Oklahoma Lloyd Noble Center, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.

elvislady

Elvis wore the 1974 arabian suit with the original belt.
elvislady
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

elvislady
stefan
No problem, you're doing a great job and I really appreciate that notworthy.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.