Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ELVIS: VIVA LAS Mmmmmm'mm (1964) Go Go Guy ~ with that ~ Bye Bye Girl ! ! !
Elvis-TheKingsCourt > All Elvis > All Elvis
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
REX
ELVIS: VIVA LAS Mmmmmm'mm

Viva Las Vegas (1964)

Elvis Movie #15

Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, 1964

REX

14" X 36"

Director: George Sidney

REX
Writer: Sally Benson (written by)

Stars: Elvis Presley, Ann-Margret and Cesare Danova

REX

22" x 28" U.S.A. Poster

Release Date:20 May 1964 (USA)

Genre: Comedy | Musical | Romance

Taglines:

*Elvis is at the wheel but Ann-Margret drives him wild!
*It's that "go-go" guy and that "bye-bye" gal in the fun capital of the world!
*"Together they burn up the Screen"
*"Elvis meets his Love Match"
*"Viva Las Vegas Thrills"

REX

Plot:
Lucky Jackson arrives in town with his car literally in tow ready for the first Las Vegas Grand Prix - once he has the money to buy an engine.

He gets the cash easily enough but mislays it when the pretty swimming pool manageress takes his mind off things.
It seems he will lose both race and girl, problems made more difficult by rivalry from Elmo Mancini, fellow racer and womaniser.
Perhaps some singing will help.

Plot Keywords: Hoover Dam | Automobile Racing | Hot Pants | City Name In Title | Las Vegas Nevada

27" X 41" U.S.A Poster
REX

Technical specifications for
Viva Las Vegas (1964) MGM Laboratories Inc., Los Angeles (CA), USA

Film negative format: (mm) - 35 mm

Film Length: 7450 feet.

Running Time: 83 minutes (Film Theatre Release ~ 24 frames per Second)
Running Time: 81 minutes: (Video-DVD-TV Showing ~ 25 frames per Second)
Note: some showings have included the song...
...'MY RIVAL' IS A BABY BLUE RACING CAR (Ann Margret) + 2minutes.

Cinematographic process: Panavision (anamorphic)

Colour film Format: METROCOLOR
Printed film format: 35 mm

Aspect ratio: 2.35 : 1 (Film)
Aspect ratio: 4.3 Widescreen (DVD regular release)

Warner Home Video, August 1, 2000.
This was the first DVD release. It contains the movie in two formats on a flipper disc.
One side contains the movie in the Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1 (4:3),
the other side is in Widescreen (Letterbox). The soundtrack is presented in mono.

UK ADVERTISING BLOCK (Magazines) full page
REX
Filming locations for
Viva Las Vegas
(1964)

*Lake Mead, Nevada, USA

*Hoover Dam, Arizona-Nevada Border, USA

REX
V.LV LOCATIONS Continued

*Henderson, Nevada, USA To add shortly...

*Las Vegas, Nevada, USA (Tropicana!)

*Railroad Pass, Nevada, USA

REX

BOX OFFICE or The MONEY ! /
business for
Viva Las Vegas
(1964)

Budget
$1,000,000 (estimated)

Gross
$5,125,000 (USA)
$9,442,967 (Worldwide)

Elvis was Paid $
•Was paid $500,000 + 50% of profits for VIVA LAS VEGAS (1964)

Filming Dates - 15 July 1963 - 16 September 1963

Copyright Holder © MCMLXIV by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc. and Jack Cummings Productions Inc.

REX

Release dates for
Viva Las Vegas
(1964)

Sweden 30 March 1964

Denmark 10 April 1964

Finland 24 April 1964

USA 20 May 1964

Japan 23 May 1964

West Germany 24 July 1964

Austria August 1964

Finland 10 February 1978 (re-release)

News paper Advertising Block. U.K.

REX

81" x 81" V.Large U.S.A.. Poster

Top Grossing Elvis Presley Movies At The Box Office

Description This is a list based on the official Box Office Database and it represents the top grossing Elvis Presley movies. Keep in mind that these numbers have not been adjusted for inflation.

1- Viva Las Vegas
Viva Las Vegas (May, 1964, MGM), no. 11 on the list of the top grossing movies of the year in the U.S., $5.152 million

2- Jailhouse Rock
Jailhouse Rock (October, 1957, MGM), no. 12, $3.9 million

3- Blue Hawaii
Blue Hawaii (November, 1961, Paramount), no. 13, $4.7 million

4- G.I. Blues
G.I. Blues (August, 1960, Paramount), no. 15, $4.3 million

5- Loving You
Loving You (July, 1957, Paramount), tied for no. 15, $3.7 million

6- Girls! Girls! Girls!
Girls! Girls! Girls! (November, 1962, Paramount), no. 19, $3.6 million

7- Love Me Tender
Love Me Tender (November, 1956, Twentieth Century Fox), no. 20, $4.2 million

8- Girl Happy
Girl Happy (1965, MGM), no. 25, $3.1 million

9- Kissin' Cousins
Kissin' Cousins (1964, MGM), no. 26, $2.8 million
REX
ELVIS POSTERS (TITLE..also Known As AKA) from "AROUND THE WORLD" + Press Booklets

*Only Girl in Town USA (working title)

* USA ~ Cinema Manager CAMPAIGN PRESS BOOK

REX
ELVIS POSTERS (TITLE..also Known As AKA) from "AROUND THE WORLD"

*Love in Las Vegas International (English title) / UK

U.K. LOVE IN LAS VEGAS POSTER

U.K. Cinema Managers "Viva" PRESS BOOK (Contains details of Advertising Material, press, posters, tie-ins, Story....)
REX

*Viva Las Vegas (Australia)

REX
*VIVA LAS VEGAS (Japan)

REX

*Amour en quatrième vitesse 47" x 63" (Full Colour Version: - French / Canadian)

*Amour en quatrième vitesse 23" x 31"(Blk & Wht + single spot colour: -Canada/French)

REX

*L'Amour en 4e vitesse (BELGIUM full colour~size 'French/+/Flemish Language' fans)

Great poster from my collection showing French Title, with Flemish at the bottom

REX

*L'Amour en 4e vitesse (BELGIUM 'French Language' fans)

*Liefde in 4 de versnelling (BELGIUM 'Flemish Language' fans)

(This is a Triple Fold-Out Program - with the details in FLEMISH on one side and FRENCH of the other...
the info is the same both sides, but they changed the picture for each side... very neat!)

REX

*Viva Las Vegas (Sweden)

REX

*Viva Las Vegas Finland / International

================

Bonus Elvis Trivia:

Through filming and beyond Elvis always referred to Ann-Margret by her screen name from the movie
but tweaked it a little, calling her Rusty Ammo.

The two remained close friends over the years, and she was one of the few co-stars to attend his funeral.

======

REX

*Tolle Nächte in Las Vegas Austria / West Germany

REX

*Cita en Las Vegas Spain

REX

*Avante Garde (Sophisticated) Art House Cinemas! (Italy + other countries)

*Viva Las Vegas (Love in LV) "ITALY" (4 Sheet poster)

REX

*Elvis i det store race (Denmark: Poster and Program 'front' )

REX

*Amor a Toda Velocidade Brazil ***

*Amor en Las Vegas (Mexico: ~ Lobby Card Poster)

REX

*Ljubav u LAS Vegasu (Yugoslavia) thanks to Houndogman!

*Las Vegas'ta ask Turkey (Turkish title)

*Nyhtes sto Las Vegas Greece (transliterated ISO-LATIN-1 title)

REX
Awards for
Viva Las Vegas
(1964)

The Laurel Awards
were cinema awards to honor pictures, actors, actresses, directors and composers.
This award was created by Motion Picture Exhibitor magazine, and ran from 1958 to 1968, then 1970 and 1971.

The Golden Laurels were determined by American and Canadian film buyers.
After the vote, the results were published in the magazine, without ceremony.

REX

Trivia for
Viva Las Vegas
(1964)

One of the guitar players on the soundtrack was singer/actor Glen Campbell.

on the 30th August 1963 at Radio Recorders HOLLYWOOD....

ELVIS recorded "What'd I Say" (1st take = false start // + 3 other takes)
Glen Campbell ~ was one of the 3 Guitarists on this day (not listed at earlier sessions)

Glen may have been booked, due to the fact he was making a name for himself, with a 12 String Guitar
REX
Trivia for
Viva Las Vegas
(1964)

When the wedding scene was filmed,

many tabloid magazines at time published photos of the "wedding" and suggested that

Elvis Presley and Ann-Margret really had gotten married.

REX
Trivia for
Viva Las Vegas
(1964)

REX
Trivia for
Viva Las Vegas
(1964)

Average Shot Length = ~8.9 seconds. Median Shot Length = ~7.3 seconds.
Link this trivia

Motor Whistles: Above Average Shot Length ? ? ? ? ?

Trivia for
Viva Las Vegas
(1964)

Was double billed with Tamahine "Kim Novak"(1963)

(Sex Symbal) ....in most theaters when first released.

REX
Trivia for
Viva Las Vegas
(1964)

Elvis Presley and Ann-Margret recorded a duet, Leiber/Stoller piece "You're the Boss",

but the song was never used in the film. It has been released since.

GOLDMINE question: I'm curious about a song you and Jerry wrote, "You're The Boss." It was recorded as a duet by Elvis and Ann-Margret for the film Viva Las Vegas.

MIKE STOLLER: That was a song that did modestly well in a version we produced as sung by La Vern Baker and Jimmy Ricks, the bass singer of the Ravens.

After we stopped taking assignments to write for Elvis, we submitted "You're The Boss" for a Presley movie.

When we didn't hear anything further about it, we assumed they didn't like it and didn't record it.

Around 1980 when I was in London, I helped put together, an album for RCA Victor called Elvis Presley Sings Leiber And Stoller.

Some 10 years later RCA decided to release it as a CD. They told me Thorne Nogar found this version of "You're The Boss," and it was included on the CD.

It was a major surprise for us. [laughs]

It was nice. I really liked that.
REX
VIVA LAS VEGAS "Film B L O O P E R S -&- GOOFS

HIGH HEELS ! ! !
Continuity: When Rusty is dancing in a lavender bodysuit, she wears high heels until about 2/3 way through and then she is shown with lavender ballet slippers.

Ann ~ starts her APPRECIATION Dance routine in HIGH HEELS..

(During coming down stairs, and the Gold Lighting Backdrop)

In these screen shots you can see the HIGH HEELS easily...

REX

and then THIS HAPPENED (In the same sequence)

Flat BALLET Slip-Ons ! ! !

The APPRECIATION Dance routine from the middle

(when it changes to the Black background and Red Spots Lighting Backdrop)

In these screen shots you can see the flat soles of her BALLET Shoes easily...

This number is portrayed as a complete songs sequence, for the Talent Competition!

S E E ! ! !

******* Ann-Margret has feet? Who knew. ********

REX

During the song WHAT'D I SAY.. the White Guitar Pick seems to go missing in Elvis' Hand.

When did he join the Magic Circle....?? anyway... !!

Continuity: In the "What I Say" dance number white tape (Guitar Pick) appears and disappears from Elvis' right hand fingers.

REX
QUOTE (elvislady @ Feb 2 2011, 07:32 AM) *
Thanks rex some great pics hear...love the wedding magazine, i love the year 1964 and viva las vegas was a favorite film to... elvislady up.gif

I was thrilled to just find the VIVA POSTER (large size) from Italy... very classy.. and the Belgium one is so Disco... Thanks ELVIS LADY...

Continuity: When "The Coasters" first begin performing the song "The Climb," the close-up view shows none of them wearing glasses.
When the camera zooms out to show the entire dance floor, the baritone/bass vocalist is wearing glasses.

During THE CLIMB: The Lead Singer with the Coasters, starts off on the close ups, without any face wear..

Then for the Widescreen - Long shots... you can see he has "GLASSES"

Elvis didn't notice.... he was looking at something else....

REX

Errors in geography:
When Lucky and Rusty are taking off in a helicopter to view the Hoover Dam,

the TWA terminal at New York City's JFK airport can clearly be seen in the background.

REX

Elvis takes off: wearing a nice HAT and a set of HEADPHONES..

A Few seconds later, over Boulder Dam.. the HATS GONE,,

and the Headphones are around his neck

REX
=======

xxxxxxxxx

Soundtrack
The soundtrack songs were recorded in July of 1963 at Radio Recorders Studios in Hollywood, California and are regarded by some as among Presley's best. In addition to Presley's vocals, Ann-Margret performs two solos in the film. Three songs, "Night Life", "Do The Vega" and "You're The Boss", were recorded for the film but never used. "You're The Boss" is a duet by Elvis and Ann-Margret.

RCA Records has been heavily criticized (in Elvis: The Illustrated Record and other retrospectives) for mishandling what was considered by critics to be the best set of songs recorded for an Elvis film for years. None of the vocals involving Ann-Margret was released at the time, although she was a successful RCA recording artist in her own right and had performed two solo numbers in the film ("Appreciation" and "My Rival"). The only recordings released simultaneously with the film were the theme song plus a cover version of "What'd I Say?" on a single; and a few additional songs on an EP entitled Viva Las Vegas, even though the title track was not included. Additional songs recorded for the film would appear scattered about later album compilations, while the Ann-Margret duets with Presley - "The Lady Loves Me", the deleted "You're the Boss", and an unused version of the ballad "Today, Tomorrow and Forever" - would not be officially released until long after Presley's death (the ballad would not be released until 2002). The version of "C'mon Everybody" released on record is a different version than the one used in the film, lacking Ann-Margret's backing vocals, a whistling interlude, and the closing bars.

Although bootleg LP's began to appear in the 1970s, purporting to contain the complete soundtrack, RCA did not officially release anything approaching a full soundtrack until 1993, when it began to reissue Presley's film soundtracks on a series of "Double Features" CDs, the pairing of Viva Las Vegas soundtrack with that of Roustabout being in the first batch. These CDs do not include the solo Ann-Margret performances or "The Climb" by the The Forte' Four. An almost complete soundtrack from the film was released on Follow That Dream Records (the Danish division of BMG) in 2003. It includes all master takes plus alternate versions. "The Climb" is also included, but the Ann-Margret solo tracks are not. At present, the Ann-Margret solos are available only on the 5-CD box set: Ann Margret 1961-1966 from Bear Family Records in Germany, but her "You're the Boss" duet with Elvis is on her otherwise solo cd album, "Lovely Ann-Margret: Hits and Rarities," digitally remastered and released 1995 by Marginal Records MA 022, Brussels, Belgium.

According to Elvis historian Steve Pond, in an interview for Kingdom : Elvis in Vegas, a featurette included with the 2007 DVD release of the film, only the lead singer of the Forte Four was actually recorded singing "The Climb", not the rest of his group. Instead, the backing vocals were provided by the Jordanaires and by Elvis Presley himself.

========

Ann-Margret met Elvis Presley on the MGM soundstage when the two filmed Viva Las Vegas.

They began a one-year affair that received considerable attention from the gossip columnists.

The reports led to a showdown with Priscilla Presley, described by Priscilla in her 1985 book, Elvis and Me, including a discussion of Ann-Margret's attempt to "cut her off at the pass" with a press announcement that she and Elvis were engaged to be married.

Ann-Margret states that although they discussed marriage, they were never engaged and they both knew that the affair would run its course.

Comparisons of Ann-Margret as the "female Elvis" were not confined to the publicity agencies.

The two of them were truly similar in many ways--both were quiet and shy offstage and electric onstage, both treasured their families and believed strongly in God, both loved speed and motorcycles, both could be defiant of danger, and both could be self-destructive at times.

After the affair ended, Presley remained a very close friend and continued to send Ann-Margret flowers at the opening of each of her stage appearances.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

4:15 shows the actual pool-lobby interior of the Flamingo.

4:59 shows the Flamingo pool once again and Ann in the inevitable red bathing suit and mandated rear-view-walk-away-shot -

as Elvis enters the picture (now suddenly) working as a costumed waiter for the hotel.

There are some very good views of Vegas swimming pool life until 7:00.
The location shifts and Ann is then seen in black leotards at the UNLV gym doing various early-Sixties gyrations.
She finishes her dance with some subliminally provocative "haw, haw, haws"
and taunts Elvis with the standard Elvis-movie-line: "Are you gonna chicken-out? The kids are expecting you to do something".
He reluctantly agrees with the counter-phrase order "but then we cut-out".

Elvis leads "the kids" into a finger-snapping, hand-clapping, hip-shaking romp with his "C'Mon Everybody" song and camera shots of Ann-Margret, now shaking her bootie to the words "my baby loves me".

4. The last segment of Viva shows the car race, which shows the obligatory car crashes and great night and day views of Downtown's Fremont Street.
Scenes of Lake Mead and the desert roads, as well as some Mount Charleston roads, can be seen.

Elvis wins the race and the girl.
The final minute of the movie shows Elvis and Ann exiting the Last Frontier's Little Church of the West.

(Note:) In the crowd of well-wishers the Flamingo's publicist Abe Schiller can be seen on the right. Abe was once known by the title 'Mr. Las Vegas' long before Wayne Newton or George Wallace used the label. Abe was also known as 'The Jewish Cowboy' due to the simple fact that he wore very extravagant, jeweled cowboy clothes, designed by Nudie, most everywhere he went.
REX
VIVA LAS VEGAS "Film B L O O P E R S -&- GOOFS"

Revealing mistakes:
In the dance/music scene on the "Roulette Wheel,"

Lucky is playing an electric guitar that is not plugged in.

REX
~ WHAT'D - I - SAY ~ "LYRICS"

REX
~ WHAT'D - I - SAY ~

REX
~ WHAT'D - I - SAY ~

REX
~ WHAT'D - I - SAY ~

REX
QUOTE (C.C.Rider @ Feb 3 2011, 01:40 PM) *
Super thread Rex ! Enjoyable as always notworthy.gif Thanks "SHAUN"

~ WHAT'D - I - SAY ~

REX
~ WHAT'D - I - SAY ~

REX
~ WHAT'D - I - SAY ~

REX
VIVA LA "S P L A S H"

REX
- VIVA "THAT" LOOK -

I TRAINED AT "FAULTY TOWERS"

PENGUINS AT THREE-O'-CLOCK HIGH !!!

~ "T I L T" ~ "BUMP" ~

REX
VIVA LAS VEGAS

H E A D S

OR ~ T A I L S

H E A D S

OR ~ T A I L S

HEADS ~ or ~ TAILS ( ! ~ ? )

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.