Under-rated Ballads

C.C.Rider
post Nov 11 2006, 12:09 PM
Post #1

Down in the Jungle Room
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 66

Just been listening to "Mine" and realised what an outstanding song it really is. Thinking of more, would be "Suppose", "This Is Our Dance" from the 70's.

Which ballads would you consider were under-rated ?

"It Hurts Me" and "Theres always Me" have to be included, although they are better known to fans, no so well known to non-fans. I feel that many of the 70's ballads are under-rated. The passion that he sang tracks like "Pieces of my life" etc. with, and yet such albums are rubbished by many. Seems weird, wouldn't you say ? (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/down.gif)

--------------------
Regards Shaun

Bruce Springsteen
He was as big as the whole country itself, as big as the whole dream. He just embodied the essence of it and he was in mortal combat with the thing. Nothing will ever take the place of that guy.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tigerman
post Nov 11 2006, 04:47 PM
Post #2

Down in the Jungle Room

Group: Special Members
Member No.: 2

I agree, but i don't think any honest and right minded person would call "Pices of my life" rubbish. But its not your typical Elvis song either, so perhaps some did not like the content of many of the mid 70's ballad songs... On the other hand, many people praise Elvis '76 session wich also where mainly a blaad album, but with more Elvis styled material.

If we look at the movies done they also had mny beautiful ballads, Angle is one example. But i don't think sings like that will ever be popular by the casual fans, since they want the famous hits i presume.

--------------------

The outer limit of your potential is determined solely by your own beliefs and your own confidence in what you think is possible

+Quote Post
LittleDarlin
post Nov 11 2006, 08:12 PM
Post #3

Down in the Jungle Room

Member No.: 419

I think And the grass dont pay no mind is one of the most under rated records of Elvis's.
I love the words, the music, the arrangement in fact everything about it (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/wings_elvis.gif)

+Quote Post
hexia
post Nov 11 2006, 11:09 PM
Post #4

At The Gates Of Graceland

Member No.: 18

I really love The first time ever I saw your face. And It's impossible.

--------------------
"You can't yell loud enough to make me shut up!"

Walter Gulick in Kid Galahad

+Quote Post
pacer1965
post Nov 12 2006, 12:46 PM
Post #5

Platinum Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 16

I think there are loads of under-rated ballads.Alot of the ones that
I think are, have already been mentioned.

Your Loves Been Along time Coming.
Hurt.
Indescribably Blue.
Angel.
The First In Line.
Playing For Keeps.
Hows The World Treating You.

Just a few I think are under-rated,I could go on (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/chatterbox.gif)

TCE
Lorraine

--------------------
See How They Shine,Oh If You Need A Friend,I'm Sailing Right Behind

+Quote Post
stefan
post Nov 12 2006, 12:52 PM
Post #6

Down in the Jungle Room
Group Icon

Member No.: 10

"Never Again" is imo a very underrated ballad.

--------------------
"How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

+Quote Post
JohanD
post Nov 12 2006, 01:47 PM
Post #7

Down in the Jungle Room
Group Icon

Member No.: 19

There are very good ballads from the movieyears too,almost all overlooked.
For example:"The girl i never loved",so perfect.

--------------------

+Quote Post
NightRider
post Nov 12 2006, 03:39 PM
Post #8

Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 1

Couldn't argue with any already mentioned. Mine is one of mine and Jules favourite songs. Its simply beautiful in every aspect. Deserves much more respect that it ever ( or Elvis singing it ) got. The same applies to Suppose. Also, as Johan has mentioned, there are many outstanding ballads contained in Elvis' movies.

There are so many during the 70's. Right from the awesome tracks contained on TTWII right up to and including the Moody Blue LP, you can name several great Ballads that Elvis sung. These albums would not figure on many critics "best" lists....maybe they should listen to them, before they jump to any conclusions (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/chatterbox.gif)

--------------------
TCB Chris

You may think that its the breeze...whistling through the lonely trees..but its only him a flyin' round the bend...
as the day comes to an end.........

+Quote Post
Guest_Brad_*
post Nov 12 2006, 05:47 PM
Post #9

Guests

Angel
Fame and Fortune
Gently
Never Again

Just to name a few.....

+Quote Post
J
post Nov 27 2006, 07:17 AM
Post #10

Down in the Jungle Room

Member No.: 363

I'm actually pretty bad at categorizing songs, but I'd say I'm Leavin'
is very under-rated.

A great song with beautiful lyrics and melody, but somehow I've got
the idea that it's not very known, or even liked song...

+Quote Post
Suspicious Minds
post Nov 27 2006, 12:14 PM
Post #11

Platinum Member

Member No.: 278

I wouldn't call this song I'm Leavin a ballad. Elvis was trying something different to his usual style of songs. This song is a cross between a ballad and rock song. In the UK this song charted at #23 in 1971.
Thinking About You was a similar type of song.

--------------------
Frank

Every man has a Flaming Star

+Quote Post
J
post Nov 27 2006, 01:27 PM
Post #12

Down in the Jungle Room

Member No.: 363

I guess you're right...

But that doesn't change my opinion of the song. (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
NightRider
post Nov 27 2006, 07:12 PM
Post #13

Administrator
Group Icon

I'm Leavin is an incredible song. I know what you mean Jouni, its not one of the most liked Elvis numbers. I love it ! I have since the very first time i heard it, which i believe was on the Hits from the 70's LP many years ago.

Its just so different from most of what he has done. Would i class it as a ballad ? Yeah, i guess so...but as you say its hard to categorise them.

As for Thinking about you, it is one of my favourite songs also, and a song that had alot of play on my player. Is it under-rated ? Hell YEAH....

--------------------
TCB Chris

You may think that its the breeze...whistling through the lonely trees..but its only him a flyin' round the bend...

+Quote Post
Tigerman
post Nov 27 2006, 07:20 PM
Post #14

Down in the Jungle Room

Im not so sure i would use the term under-rated. It is one of those like or not like songs. I think it's ok a little boring, but still ok, it never get's bashed or praised very much. The same could be said about "Thinking about you".

I woud only use the term under-rated on songs that has hit potentional, and none of those two has that certain extra like example "How the web was wowen" wich i do belive is underrated and a beautiful balad with hit potentional. It certainly deserves more praise.

--------------------

The outer limit of your potential is determined solely by your own beliefs and your own confidence in what you think is possible

+Quote Post
NightRider
post Nov 27 2006, 07:25 PM
Post #15

Administrator
Group Icon

QUOTE (Tigerman @ Nov 27 2006, 07:20 PM)
Im not so sure i would use the term under-rated. It is one of those like or not like songs. I think it's ok a little boring, but still ok, it never get's bashed or praised very much. The same could be said about "Thinking about you".

I woud only use the term under-rated on songs that has hit potentional, and none of those two has that certain extra like example "How the web was wowen" wich i do belive is underrated and a beautiful balad with hit potentional. It certainly deserves more praise.

Neither of these had that potential...in your opinion Einar. I'm Leavin was a hit in the Uk....but i still feel it was under-rated. I feel that they BOTH had potential. I'm leavin' to a certain extent lived up to that. Thinking About you didn't.

Under-Rated...
To rate too low; underestimate.

So thats what you are doing to these songs....in my opinion of course....therefore they fall into the category of being under-rated.....

--------------------
TCB Chris

+Quote Post
Tigerman
post Nov 27 2006, 07:38 PM
Post #16

Down in the Jungle Room

Ok, but would not that be to push ones opinion over at another? If i do not praise a certain song another one likes, do i under-rate it?
If you go out to the streets and ask people about what they think about Elvis version of "Im leaving", they would probably answer "Never hard that song, but i like Don't be cruel".

Personally i like Harbor lights, it does not exactly get praised or get any airtime, is it under-rated? No, the song is where it belongs compared to the rest of Elvis discogarphy.

Over-rated,under-rated it's all about personal taste and how well the mainstreem audience takes to songs. I have a hard time beliving Im leaving could do chart sucess again, while "Love me tender". I would not doubt since it has a more mass appeal sound. Perhaps i am underestimating "Im leaving", who knows.

--------------------

+Quote Post
NightRider
post Nov 27 2006, 09:07 PM
Post #17

Administrator
Group Icon

would that push ones opinions over another...NO. Thats the point of the question. What DO YOU think is under-rated.

Under-rated is not about just the general public, or the critics, but about anyone who listens to the songs in question. Fans too can under-rate certain songs....as you say, opinions... (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

--------------------
TCB Chris

+Quote Post
stefan
post Nov 27 2006, 09:19 PM
Post #18

Down in the Jungle Room
Group Icon

Member No.: 10

I'm Leaving is defenatley under-rated imo. It has always been a mistery to me why it charted as it did. Same goes for Pieces Of My Life, a truly brilliant song/performance ... but also one of the worst selling singles of Elvis in the 70's.

--------------------
"How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

+Quote Post
mezaid
post Nov 27 2006, 10:50 PM
Post #19

Almost In Memphis

Member No.: 373

One of my all time favourite songs which I think is underated is
The Sound Of Your Cry
Great version on Nashville Marathon FTD
Whenever I hear it it brings a tear to my eye
It's such a powerful song
I presume Elvis liked the song because he sung it with such passion "as he usually does"
It's a shame he didn't sing it live, Well I don't think he did
(IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/cheers.gif)
Adrian

+Quote Post
NightRider
post Nov 27 2006, 11:01 PM
Post #20

Administrator
Group Icon

QUOTE (mezaid @ Nov 27 2006, 10:50 PM)
One of my all time favourite songs which I think is underated is
The Sound Of Your Cry
Great version on Nashville Marathon FTD
Whenever I hear it it brings a tear to my eye
It's such a powerful song
I presume Elvis liked the song because he sung it with such passion "as he usually does"
It's a shame he didn't sing it live, Well I don't think he did
(IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/cheers.gif)
Adrian

No, he didn't Adrian. As you say what a shame. The Sound Of Your Cry would have been ONE AWESOME live number. Many people think that the song is too dramatic ???? Whatever the heck they mean by that (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) I agree with you.......its an awesome ballad (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/notworthy.gif) Best version for me is on the Platinum box set...... (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/kicking.gif)

--------------------
TCB Chris

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st October 2024 - 12:23 AM
Hosted By: ElviCities