Reply to this topic Start new topic
 Elvis and TV Work

Suspicious Minds
post Sep 15 2011, 08:38 AM
Post #1

Platinum Member

Group: Special Members
Member No.: 278

Why did the Colonel not let Elvis do personal appearances on TV chat shows or other stars shows?
It helped some other stars by appearing on tv shows to promote their new records.
I think the Colonel robbed Elvis of tv work.
What do you think?
I would have like to seen Elvis on the Dean Martin Roast programme.
Now that would have been funny.

Please can you delete same topic in Off Topic?

--------------------
Frank

Every man has a Flaming Star

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
charlierogers
post Sep 15 2011, 10:22 AM
Post #2

Down in the Jungle Room
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 22,212
From: Ontario Canada - Home of Collingwood Elvis Festival

QUOTE (Suspicious Minds @ Sep 15 2011, 09:38 AM) *
Please can you delete same topic in Off Topic?

done (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Suspicious Minds
post Sep 15 2011, 12:34 PM
Post #3

Platinum Member

Group: Special Members
Member No.: 278

QUOTE (charlierogers @ Sep 15 2011, 11:22 AM) *

Thanks Donna.
I don't know how to delete topic posts on here.

--------------------
Frank

Every man has a Flaming Star

+Quote Post
charlierogers
post Sep 16 2011, 02:35 AM
Post #4

Down in the Jungle Room
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 22,212
From: Ontario Canada - Home of Collingwood Elvis Festival

took me about 5 to figure it out for myself

yep - would have been great to have elvis on TV

there were the contests of the stars - for physical activities, roasts and talk shows - would have liked to see him on Johnny Carson :0)

--------------------

+Quote Post
rickeap
post Sep 16 2011, 05:57 AM
Post #5

Welcome to The Kings Court

Group: Picture Members
Member No.: 23,040

I guess he was trying to maintain an aloofness and mystique about Elvis, but as things started to come apart in the 70s he should have looked for new opportunities like TV and film...and a world tour.

+Quote Post
JTHA80
post Sep 20 2011, 01:25 PM
Post #6

Welcome to The Kings Court

Group: Picture Members
Member No.: 22,452

My take on it is that he didn't have to; after all "Elvis" was a household name.

Mind you, I was born after Elvis died so I may very well be talking out of my rear (which isn't new (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) ); but just about everything that had the Elvis name on it was selling well, just like today (even the sh*tty soundtracks, that sold even better than the studio albums; which is propably why the Colonel kept on the same business model).

I actually like the Colonel. Elvis was the very first world‘s superstar, and there was no precedent in how to manage a superstar; and propably the tv shows wouldn‘t pay Elvis for showing up. Which is why the Colonel turned down Time Magazine ... which I think was pretty cool. As I read it, the magazine called the Colonel up and wanted him to provide a picture of Elvis to put on the cover – for free. The Colonel wouldn‘t hear of such nonsense. So the representative from Time Magazine said "Wait, we are Time Magazine" (or something along those lines) which got him (or her) the reply: "You don‘t understand, we don‘t need you."

The Colonel was just, as the best of his abilities, trying to protect his client‘s interests (at least in most cases). If Larry Geller is to be believed it was pretty shocking that he wanted Elvis on the stage after about an hour (I think it was), despite being almost comatose; however the Colonel severly disliked canceling concerts on the same day they were supposed to happen ...which I understand (it could potentially alienate casual fans and might have a ripple effect).

What I don‘t understand, and will never understand, is one f*ck up that the Colonel did. On a movie set (on either Blue Hawaii or Paradise Hawaiian style, if I remember correctly) he shouted that they should stop filming, because Elvis was using his own watch, and in the business agreement it stated that the movie production firm had to pay Elvis and the Colonel if Elvis was using his own wardrobe. They commenced filming again with a watch from the props department. And they lost out on 25 thousand dollars.

+Quote Post
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 05:17 PM
Hosted By: ElviCities