IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topic Start new topic
 Should Suspicious Minds have headed FEIM ?

NightRider
post Jul 21 2008, 07:36 PM
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 1

It still amazes me that Suspicious Minds didn't appear on the From Elvis In Memphis LP. A huge seller for Elvis and an outstanding track that should have headed one of Elvis' all time best albums. I find it very strange that it was left off and just released on a single.

At least BMG finally released it as it should have been with the ultimate 69 collection in Suspicious minds. (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/whistling.gif)

--------------------
TCB Chris

You may think that its the breeze...whistling through the lonely trees..but its only him a flyin' round the bend...
as the day comes to an end.........

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
KEV
post Jul 21 2008, 08:13 PM
Post #2

At The Gates Of Graceland

Group: Special Members
Member No.: 31

The idea was to buy the single and the lp ie,the 45 was not on the lp and both got more sales.

You have to mind on that sales for our man were poor,and RCA did this a few times...

So my answer is no...sales for me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GuitarMan66
post Jul 21 2008, 08:17 PM
Post #3

Down in the Jungle Room

Member No.: 9

I have to say i totally agree Chris....again its Col.Parker putting money over artistic merit....using the song on the album would im sure have helped this album become more widely recognised for the classic only us fans seem to see it as..

--------------------

+Quote Post
Suspicious Minds
post Jul 21 2008, 08:40 PM
Post #4

Platinum Member

Member No.: 278

The Colonel had something to do with this track. Because Elvis introduced Suspicious Minds on the Elvis In Person album, the Colonel didn't want this track on the From Elvis In Memphis or the Back In Memphis albums.
I think there should have been a studio version on the From Elvis In Memphis the first time it was released.
The single release is still my favourite.

--------------------
Frank

Every man has a Flaming Star

+Quote Post
JohanD
post Jul 21 2008, 08:44 PM
Post #5

Down in the Jungle Room
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 19

Well,In the gettho was on it,so that's one selling number for sure.
I must say it should have been on a Gold records volume 5 during his lifetime instead of another compilation of movie hits.

--------------------

+Quote Post
KEV
post Jul 21 2008, 09:01 PM
Post #6

If it was on the album,then it would not have been issued as a single,and putting a single out to promote said lp was a good thing,hence both getting good places in the usa charts 45/lp.

--------------------

+Quote Post
NightRider
post Jul 21 2008, 09:02 PM
Post #7

Administrator
Group Icon

With it being one of the cream of that session...i feel that it should have headed the album...make it even stronger than it already is. Suspicious Minds is one of the best singles Elvis ever released....shame it wasn't on an album until i believe Worldwide 50 Gold Award Hits, Vol. 1 boxset. Shame.. (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/whistling.gif)

--------------------
TCB Chris

You may think that its the breeze...whistling through the lonely trees..but its only him a flyin' round the bend...

+Quote Post
Suspicious Minds
post Jul 21 2008, 09:06 PM
Post #8

Platinum Member

Member No.: 278

RCA Victor never got the releases right in the 60's and 70's.

--------------------
Frank

Every man has a Flaming Star

+Quote Post
NightRider
post Jul 21 2008, 09:08 PM
Post #9

Administrator
Group Icon

QUOTE (Suspicious Minds @ Jul 21 2008, 10:06 PM) *
RCA Victor never got the releases right in the 60's and 70's.

They sure did things different (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/black_eye.gif) (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)

--------------------
TCB Chris

+Quote Post
NightRider
post Jul 21 2008, 09:09 PM
Post #10

Administrator
Group Icon

QUOTE (KEV @ Jul 21 2008, 10:01 PM) *
If it was on the album,then it would not have been issued as a single,and putting a single out to promote said lp was a good thing,hence both getting good places in the usa charts 45/lp.

Agreed to a certain extent mate....but In the ghetto was on the album...and was released as a single. Can't see that Suspicious Minds would have been any different... (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/undecided.gif)

--------------------
TCB Chris

+Quote Post
KEV
post Jul 21 2008, 09:15 PM
Post #11

Yes,but in those days in the states you put out one 45 from the lp,hence in the ghetto 45.

Not like know were half an cd will be out on downloads...getting old.

RCA/parker...EP should have said no,i"m not having this,putting out my stuff mixed wrong etc etc,but he never and 40 years on,we are getting session tapes mixed to A1sound.

Just wish he could have seen what has been done to his music legacy!.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bazza
post Jul 21 2008, 10:05 PM
Post #12

Platinum Member
Group Icon

Group: VIP
Member No.: 314

I don't know....Perhaps earlier in the decade it would have been the thing to do to leave the song off of the album, but when this was released, the ALBUM WAS what was selling, and "Suspicious Minds", IMO, should have led the whole LP......The LP should have been called Suspicious Minds IMO.

Out of touch marketing and strategy at RCA at the time.....Which, sadly, hasn't changed all too much in the years since SM was originally released.

--------------------

"Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem"
-Ronald Reagan (Jan. 20, 1981)

+Quote Post
dennyelvis
post Jul 22 2008, 11:32 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 64

Great topic actually Chris .. never realised that before bout suspicious (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/undecided.gif)
got me thinking of other awesome hits for Elvis that dint feature on big album releases of the time (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/confused.gif)
What about ITS NOW OR NEVER, or Are you lonesome ? .... did they figure on any major release ? (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/undecided.gif) sure theres loads actually (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/crying.gif)

--------------------

+Quote Post
JerryNodak
post Jul 22 2008, 11:58 AM
Post #14

Listening to Elvis

Member No.: 98

Personally, I liked the policy of no singles on the albums. I'd already bought the singles. I didn't need the songs again. I hated the fact that In The Ghetto/Any Day Now were on FEIM. I would much rather have had two other songs I didn't already have. In other words 12 new songs for the price instead of 10.

--------------------
Founder/President of the EPE Doesn't Own the Footage of "Elvis On Tour" Society.

+Quote Post
C.C.Rider
post Jul 22 2008, 12:17 PM
Post #15

Down in the Jungle Room
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 66

Yes, i think it should have been included on the album. Obviously it wasn't from a sales point of view. But agree with Bazza. The album should maybe have been "Suspicious Minds" (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/undecided.gif)

--------------------
Regards Shaun

Bruce Springsteen
He was as big as the whole country itself, as big as the whole dream. He just embodied the essence of it and he was in mortal combat with the thing. Nothing will ever take the place of that guy.

+Quote Post
colonel snow
post Jul 22 2008, 02:44 PM
Post #16

Platinum Member

Member No.: 482

I've seen the original track list for the Lp at the time; because it was a big hit In the ghetto/Any day now were added at the last moment and replaced two other songs.

when you read Day by day (E. Jorgensen book) for Friday 31-10-69 you'll see that that Elvis got an extra $ 20.000 for the single Suspicious minds and not yet released single Don't cry daddy. of course to be split 50/50 for Elvis & the Colonel.

that's one of the reasons it was not included in this LP ($$$$$$$).

colonel snow

--------------------

+Quote Post
KEV
post Jul 22 2008, 02:52 PM
Post #17

100% with you there Jerry.

I also think the album title was psot on,as it was done in Memphis...not sure about the front cover picture,68 for a 1969 lp!.

Just a view.

--------------------

+Quote Post
NightRider
post Jul 22 2008, 07:15 PM
Post #18

Administrator
Group Icon

QUOTE (KEV @ Jul 22 2008, 03:52 PM) *
100% with you there Jerry.

I also think the album title was psot on,as it was done in Memphis...not sure about the front cover picture,68 for a 1969 lp!.
Just a view.

They never got the covers right Kev past around '69...well...hardly ever... (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/whistling.gif)

--------------------
TCB Chris

+Quote Post
Bazza
post Jul 22 2008, 07:44 PM
Post #19

Platinum Member
Group Icon

Group: VIP
Member No.: 314

Actually, I quite like this cover....Great pic from the 68 Special that seems to fit the feel of the LP for me....Maybe it's just that I'm so used to or familiar with it after all these years, but I really do think it's a good fit for the LP, a rarity for RCA's design department, to be certain!

--------------------

"Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem"
-Ronald Reagan (Jan. 20, 1981)

+Quote Post
KEV
post Jul 22 2008, 07:54 PM
Post #20

USA 45"s were the right picture or year i should say...lps were a right mess in the 70"s.

Now FTD use pictures of our man that make"s him...well...Bazza like it,so i"ll say no more about his lady man looks. (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/LSHIC.gif)

--------------------

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th September 2024 - 03:42 PM
Hosted By: ElviCities