Mark Knopfler, Still going strong ~ some Elvis related songs

stefan
post May 18 2013, 10:18 AM
Post #1

Down in the Jungle Room
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 10

As some of you guys now I'm besides an Elvis fan also a great fan of Mark Knopfler (singer, songwriter, guitar legend). I'll be seeing this man in less than 3 weeks here in Holland on his current 'Privateering' tour. The man is 63 already, but still plays and sings beautifully.

As former singer/leadguitarist for 'Dire Straits' there was already an Elvis connexion made during Dire Straits last studio album (On Every Street - 1991) with the song 'Calling Elvis' , a great uptempo guitar driven rock song which they used as the opening song on their last tour during 1991-1992 and usually lasted for over 10 minutes.

* Dire Straits - Calling Elvis 1992 *

On his current tour Markl is performing 2 other songs related to Elvis. First there is the big suprise of 'Back To Tupelo' being performed. Being only performed a few times in 2005 it was never thought this song would appear again during live concerts. It's a beautiful, slow, song with a nice, easy going, guitar solo.

* Mark Knopfler - Back To Tupelo - Milan, May 3rd 2013

The second song Elvis related during this tour is one from his latest 'Privateering' double album released in 2012. The song is called 'Gator Blood' and contains some great guitar work inclusing some slide guitar. To be honest, I didn't know the the song was Elvis related until I found this version of it on Youtube where Mark explains it.

* Mark Knopfler - Gator Blood - Luxembourg, May 15th 2013

--------------------
"How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tigerman
post May 27 2013, 04:01 PM
Post #2

Down in the Jungle Room

Group: Special Members
Member No.: 2

I have a cpousin who's a Straits fan, If I tell him this he'll be super jealous. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

--------------------

The outer limit of your potential is determined solely by your own beliefs and your own confidence in what you think is possible

+Quote Post
Honky Tonk Angel
post May 27 2013, 07:18 PM
Post #3

Aboard N880EP

Member No.: 22,846

Cool stuff Stefan.

I was listening to Dire Straits' first album at the weekend. It's a great one, one of my favorites.
Always enjoyed Mark Knopfler.
Hope you have a great time (IMG:style_emoticons/default/00000407.gif)

+Quote Post
KEV
post May 28 2013, 03:33 PM
Post #4

At The Gates Of Graceland

Member No.: 31

Mark did a great album with Chet Atkins,and on said album was a song called POOR BOY BLUES.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaBTHu9JSB0

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wings_elvis.gif)

--------------------

+Quote Post
GuitarMan66
post May 29 2013, 04:12 PM
Post #5

Down in the Jungle Room

Member No.: 9

Great videos and music, I've liked Dire Straits for years now and Mark is probably my favorite guitar player.. he got me started into guitars.
I admire his technique a lot, he's one of the few players to virtually never use a pick..

--------------------

+Quote Post
stefan
post May 29 2013, 07:00 PM
Post #6

Down in the Jungle Room
Group Icon

QUOTE (GuitarMan66 @ May 29 2013, 06:12 PM) *
Great videos and music, I've liked Dire Straits for years now and Mark is probably my favorite guitar player.. he got me started into guitars.
I admire his technique a lot, he's one of the few players to virtually never use a pick..

Thatīs one of the reasons Iīm a fan of him ..... I like other guitar players too (like Clapton), but they just can't do what Mark does with his fingerpickin' . Have seen Mark 5 times before already ( once in 2001, twice in 2008 and also twice in 2010) and can't wait to see him playing again. This is just how it must have felt when someone was about to go to an Elvis concert I guess.

This is one of my favorite songs from Mark's latest 'Privateering' album ... a fantastic song called 'Yon Two Crows' and although it was frequently performed in the USA last fall when Mark and Bob Dylan did a joint tour it is only performed about 3 times so far. Chances that I will witness this song being performed are very slim.

* Mark Knopfler - Yon Two Crows - Ljubljana, May 4th 2013

--------------------
"How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

+Quote Post
GuitarMan66
post May 29 2013, 11:07 PM
Post #7

Down in the Jungle Room

Member No.: 9

I agree Stefan, he is a very unique guitarist with a totally distinct style.
I remember seeing an interview where he said as a kid he'd sit in bed at night just practicing and practicing his picking style, often falling asleep with his guitar in his lap. Now that's dedication.. :-)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gordon
post Jun 3 2013, 06:11 PM
Post #8

Platinum Member

Member No.: 6

Apparently he'll be performing in here in Malta on July 17th.

--------------------
I'd rather go on hearing your lies....than smell your armpits son
Atlanta - December 30th 1976

+Quote Post
stefan
post Jun 3 2013, 07:29 PM
Post #9

Down in the Jungle Room
Group Icon

QUOTE (Gordon @ Jun 3 2013, 08:11 PM) *
Apparently he'll be performing in here in Malta on July 17th.

That's correct habib, so I'd say ... check him out if you can (and finances allow it) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/winking0001.gif)

--------------------

+Quote Post
dj_ethan
post Jun 9 2013, 03:56 PM
Post #10

At The Gates Of Graceland

Member No.: 4,680

Great!!!! Thanks!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:21 AM
Hosted By: ElviCities