Brian Quinn
post Nov 9 2011, 06:32 PM
Post #1

At The Gates Of Graceland

Group: Special Members
Member No.: 22,230

November 08th 2011

BILLBOARD DUMPS ELVIS OFF TOP - Elvis pretty much started what we have today
in the music world, he was the original Rock and Pop King and he re-wrote the American
Charts, became the All American Hero and paved the way for all to follow.

Instead of being hailed by the official music charts of his own country, Elvis Presley is having
his historic achievements removed from the official stats. The Billboard Hot 100 was first
launched on August 4th 1958, but Elvis has always had his hits counted due to them
reaching #1 on the main charts of the period....Until now!

E.E.R listener Randell Simpson has sent in this information about how Billboard charts have
wiped 11 of Elvis' American #1s.

From Billboard:
With the ascension of "Love," Rihanna becomes just the seventh artist to notch at least 11
Hot 100 No. 1s, joining the following acts
01. The Beatles (20)
02. Mariah Carey (18)
04. Michael Jackson (13)
05. Madonna (12)
06. The Supremes (12)
07. Whitney Houston and Rihanna both with (11)

Elvis should be sitting in the second place but he is no longer even in the top 10. Elvis has
dropped from a total of 18 U.S. #1s to just SEVEN in his home country.
01. A Big Hunk O' Love
02. Stuck On You
03. It's Now Or Never
04. Are You Lonesome Tonight
05. Surrender
06. Good Luck Charm
07. Suspicious Minds

The following are no longer officially U.S. Billboard chart toppers:
1. Heartbreak Hotel
2. I Want You, I Need You, I Love You
3. Don't Be Cruel
4. Hound Dog
5. Love Me Tender
6. Too Much
7. All Shook Up
8. Teddy Bear
9. Jailhouse Rock
10. Don't
11. Hard Headed Woman

What next? Will we see Elvis' chart topping albums removed as Billboard decide to
change the rules again? Or will they just decide to that anyone with the initials EAP no longer has any U.S. Chart Toppers?????

The above news story is courtesy of www.elvis-express.com

Brian (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
J
post Nov 9 2011, 07:38 PM
Post #2

Down in the Jungle Room

Member No.: 363

How nice of the folk at Billboard.
I think they should take off a few more... if they really try I'm sure Elvis can be dropped from the list completely.

+Quote Post
colonel snow
post Nov 10 2011, 09:56 AM
Post #3

Platinum Member

Member No.: 482

You can't compare sales from the 50's with sales at this moment; in that case Elvis will always loose. In 1956 the Elvis records were 11 % of the sales in the US alone. You have to accept it.

colonel snow

--------------------

+Quote Post
J
post Nov 10 2011, 03:57 PM
Post #4

Down in the Jungle Room

Member No.: 363

I can't see why Elvis' record sales wouldn't be comparable to any of todays active artists?
And I don't think that was even the point of Brian's post.

+Quote Post
NightRider
post Nov 10 2011, 08:47 PM
Post #5

Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 1

Lost for words......what is about Elvis....always being shit on ????? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

--------------------
TCB Chris

You may think that its the breeze...whistling through the lonely trees..but its only him a flyin' round the bend...
as the day comes to an end.........

+Quote Post
pacer1965
post Nov 11 2011, 02:16 PM
Post #6

Platinum Member
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 16

I think it's bad they have done this....No respect

TCE
Lorraine

--------------------
See How They Shine,Oh If You Need A Friend,I'm Sailing Right Behind

+Quote Post
Brian Quinn
post Nov 16 2011, 09:00 PM
Post #7

The following response comes from EPE after speaking with Billboard Magazine:

"The confusion seems to come from the fact that these stats in the article are ONLY based on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, which launched in 1958, after Elvis’ landmark years of 1956 and 1957.

Since 11 of Elvis’ number ones were on various Billboard pop charts over a “rapid-fire span” of three years, three months and three weeks, all which happened prior to the Hot 100's Aug. 4, 1958 inception, he would not be on that particular list.

They said that prior to the Hot 100, Billboard printed various pop charts based either solely on airplay, sales or juke box plays. This includes the Top 100, which was a sales-based chart. Elvis’ number ones on those pre-1958 charts have been counted by some sources in conjunction with the Hot 100 when considered among number one songs in the rock ‘n’ roll era.

So Billboard is in no way changing their system to reflect less number ones for Elvis and they were very much wanting to make sure we let the fans know."

Personally, I still think it is a stupid decision by Billboard and will no doubt create the wrong impression with many of their readers and lead to the situation where such statistics will be quoted in musical journals throughout the world.

Brian

+Quote Post
Brian Quinn
post Nov 29 2011, 11:43 PM
Post #8

Following multiple posts by me(and others)on Billboard's Facebook Page they have printed the following:

Billboard wrote: "Brian, we hope this explanation helps clarify. Thank you for your feedback and let us know if you have additional questions based on the below. The chart statistics referenced in a recent Rihanna story (http://www.billboard.com/#/column/chartbeat/weekly-chart-notes-rihanna-kelly-clarkson-1005476352.story) were based on the Billboard Hot 100 chart which launched in 1958. The Hot 100 was the first chart of its kind to rank songs based on a combination of juke box plays, airplay and sales. Prior to the Hot 100, Billboard printed various pop charts based either on disc jockey reports/airplay, sales or juke box plays. This includes the Top 100, which started in late 1955 as a limited hybrid chat and morphed back into a sales-based chart in 1957. Elvis’s No. 1s on those pre-1958 charts have been counted by some sources in conjunction with the Hot 100 when considered among No. 1 songs in the supposed rock and roll era (1955 to present), which is where the confusion lies. As is the fact that some sources equally count a pre-Hot 100 No. 1 if it topped either of the Hot 100’s predecessors (Top 100, Best-Sellers, Juke Box, Disc Jockey). As is the case with Elvis’ “I Want You I Need You I Love You” which topped the Best-Sellers chart, but not the Top 100 in 1956.

So if we decide to count all other pre-Hot 100 charts when attributing No. 1s, why stop at 1955 when charts like Best-Sellers were around since the 1940s? Why not count Bing Crosby’s 36 No. 1 songs and 317 chart hits since that time on all of those same charts? It seems like we should based on the Elvis defense.

In no way is Billboard diminishing Elvis’ chart achievements. In fact, we specifically reference Elvis in the above story, mentioning his No. 1 total prior to the Hot 100:

Among the seven acts to tally at least 11 leaders, only two acts reached the milestone more quickly: the Beatles, in a mere, Beatlemania-fueled, one year, 11 months and one week between "I Want to Hold Your Hand" (Feb. 1, 1964) and "We Can Work It Out" (Jan. 8, 1966); and, the Supremes, who needed only four years, three months and one week between "Where Did Our Love Go" (Aug. 22, 1964) and "Love Child" (Nov. 30, 1968). (Prior to the Hot 100's Aug. 4, 1958, inception and after, Elvis Presley racked 11 No. 1s on various Billboard pop charts over a rapid-fire span of three years, three months and three weeks).

For the purpose of the Rihanna story, we were solely highlighting feats on the Hot 100, as we have often done in the past and as we did in 2008 to honor the 50-year history of the chart. The Hot 100 has long been our flagship singles ranking and we try to focus on records achieved on that chart separate from what may have occurred on any other charts that have come before or after it, without losing sight of those notable non-Hot 100 records."

Brian

+Quote Post
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:26 AM
Hosted By: ElviCities