Reply to this topic Start new topic
 sean shaver

memphis 77
post Jan 5 2009, 07:53 PM
Post #1

At The Gates Of Graceland

Group: Special Members
Member No.: 683

over the years much has bin said and written about sean the latest is that he died - can't say for sure as i have not heard from sean since late 2005 still looking forward to his book i shot ELVIS , many have presumed that all the photos he uses are his and his alone that's really not the case as if you look through the life of..... you will see some pics from len leech from syracuse ny, john gadorse great shots from memphis 74 and atlanta 73 , even though sean claimed he took 80.000 photos [sometghing that printed in his ELVIS in focus book and ELVIS a-z ] i was recently talking to john and he pointed out to me that even sue weingart had many of her pics published in the book - the begining pages and he took all the credit for theses photos abnd never bothered to staighten it out so i thought i would as these photogs and fans deserve the credits too.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
J
post Jan 6 2009, 06:39 PM
Post #2

Down in the Jungle Room

Member No.: 363

I've always found Sean Shaver a bit confusing when it comes to Elvis photos. As you already mentioned, he has used other photographers pictures in his books, without stating/giving the credit to the original photographer. Don't know if there's any truth to this, but I remember reading that Shaver didn't even take all his "own" photos, but he had "assistants" who took pictures for him ....... though maybe it was just a reference to the fact that he got/traded(?) pictures with other Elvis photographers, and without giving them the proper credit when he published them, they're now Shaver's pictures. Don't know, but usually when I see a picture that is credited to Sean, it's usually a top notch shot (quality- and Elvis-wise).

Never really got why he had to alter/fake pictures, either. With such a massive and great collection of photographs, why do you have to make people believe that you have something even more spectacular, only for people to find out (years later?) that the pictures were fake (ie. the red version of the "Blue Nail" jumpsuit... the "alternate fringe suit" from 1970...). Now, I don't want to say that Shaver is complete crook or something, as I have never even met the guy... just a bit... maybe selfish would be the right word, given the reasons above...?

I'm sure he'd have some great stories to tell from the years he followed Elvis around on tour across america... would be great to read his memories one day. By the way, memphis77, do you know why Sean has basically completely disappeared from the Elvis world? I believe he hasn't been "in the spotlight" in many, many years, correct?

+Quote Post
Mac
post Jan 11 2009, 09:13 PM
Post #3

Welcome to The Kings Court

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,014

If you go to the web site which is suppose to be Seans site there is this message:
THIS WEB PAGE IS DEDICATED TO THE MEMORY OF SEAN SHAVER AND TO HIS OBSESSION OF CAPTURING THE NUMBER ONE ENTERTAINER OF THE TWENTIETH CENTURY ON FILM. SEE THROUGH THE EYES OF THE MAN CALLED ELVIS' "UNOFFICIAL OFFICIAL PHOTOGRAPHER."
So it gives the impression he has died. I recall a few years ago also in an interview with Ernst Jorgenson he said he had been trying to locate Sean for months because he was going to inquire about pictures for an FTD release. He asked anyone who knew how to get in touch with Sean to tell him to e-mail Ernst.

+Quote Post
memphis 77
post Jan 13 2009, 05:51 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (Jouni @ Jan 6 2009, 07:39 PM) *
I've always found Sean Shaver a bit confusing when it comes to Elvis photos. As you already mentioned, he has used other photographers pictures in his books, without stating/giving the credit to the original photographer. Don't know if there's any truth to this, but I remember reading that Shaver didn't even take all his "own" photos, but he had "assistants" who took pictures for him ....... though maybe it was just a reference to the fact that he got/traded(?) pictures with other Elvis photographers, and without giving them the proper credit when he published them, they're now Shaver's pictures. Don't know, but usually when I see a picture that is credited to Sean, it's usually a top notch shot (quality- and Elvis-wise).

Never really got why he had to alter/fake pictures, either. With such a massive and great collection of photographs, why do you have to make people believe that you have something even more spectacular, only for people to find out (years later?) that the pictures were fake (ie. the red version of the "Blue Nail" jumpsuit... the "alternate fringe suit" from 1970...). Now, I don't want to say that Shaver is complete crook or something, as I have never even met the guy... just a bit... maybe selfish would be the right word, given the reasons above...?

I'm sure he'd have some great stories to tell from the years he followed Elvis around on tour across america... would be great to read his memories one day. By the way, memphis77, do you know why Sean has basically completely disappeared from the Elvis world? I believe he hasn't been "in the spotlight" in many, many years, correct?

very good points made here jouni , i have no idea why he hasn't bin in the spotlight for many years last i read/heard he was in ill health , and yes he did use other people at times to take photos of E.P. i know my good friend photog john gadore was one of them especially for the terra haute performance in 75.

--------------------

+Quote Post
memphis 77
post Jan 13 2009, 05:52 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (Mac @ Jan 11 2009, 10:13 PM) *
If you go to the web site which is suppose to be Seans site there is this message:
THIS WEB PAGE IS DEDICATED TO THE MEMORY OF SEAN SHAVER AND TO HIS OBSESSION OF CAPTURING THE NUMBER ONE ENTERTAINER OF THE TWENTIETH CENTURY ON FILM. SEE THROUGH THE EYES OF THE MAN CALLED ELVIS' "UNOFFICIAL OFFICIAL PHOTOGRAPHER."
So it gives the impression he has died. I recall a few years ago also in an interview with Ernst Jorgenson he said he had been trying to locate Sean for months because he was going to inquire about pictures for an FTD release. He asked anyone who knew how to get in touch with Sean to tell him to e-mail Ernst.

many in the ELVIS world feel this site is run by sean himself and that he is hiding behind it don't know if that's the case but with shaver you never know.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mac
post Jan 14 2009, 08:57 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (memphis 77 @ Jan 13 2009, 11:52 AM) *
many in the ELVIS world feel this site is run by sean himself and that he is hiding behind it don't know if that's the case but with shaver you never know.

I have heard this also. I have heard many Sean rumors, that he had a breakdown and went to Canada, that he got behind on orders for his books and wanted people to think he was dead, that he in fact did die. Its hard to know what really is the situation. I e-mailed the site I spoke of and never got an answer.

+Quote Post
J
post Jan 15 2009, 11:37 AM
Post #7

Down in the Jungle Room

Thanks for the infos... would be intresting to know where he really is these days. (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/undecided.gif)

As already mentioned, Shaver "owns" copyrights to some of the best pictures of our guy, but for some reason or another, he has also faked quite a few ones.
For the curious/those who haven't seen them, here are some of them (off the top of my head). I think everyone can spot what exactly is "fake" about them. (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Attached File  SS__1.jpg ( 67.66K ) Number of downloads: 14
Attached File  SS__2.jpg ( 48.95K ) Number of downloads: 10
Attached File  SS__4.jpg ( 57.46K ) Number of downloads: 10
Attached File  SS__5.jpg ( 69.67K ) Number of downloads: 9

+Quote Post
C.C.Rider
post Jan 15 2009, 01:13 PM
Post #8

Down in the Jungle Room
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 66

Indeed, in his time he was quite clever - if thats the right word to use (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/undecided.gif)

--------------------
Regards Shaun

Bruce Springsteen
He was as big as the whole country itself, as big as the whole dream. He just embodied the essence of it and he was in mortal combat with the thing. Nothing will ever take the place of that guy.

+Quote Post
fre211
post Jan 15 2009, 06:40 PM
Post #9

Group: Picture Members
Member No.: 684

In RESONSE TO SEAN SHAVER .
i E-MAILED PAUL LICHTER ABOUT SEAN AND HE SAID SEAN WAS ALIVE!! AND WELL!!!
AND LIVING ON THE MEXICAN SIDE OF TEXAS!!
HOPE THIS HELPS

+Quote Post
J
post Jan 16 2009, 03:35 PM
Post #10

Down in the Jungle Room

QUOTE (fre211 @ Jan 15 2009, 08:40 PM) *
HOPE THIS HELPS

Helps indeed.... and great to hear that.

Would be cool if someone could get a hold of him for an interview. (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/whistling.gif)

+Quote Post
Mac
post Jan 16 2009, 07:11 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (fre211 @ Jan 15 2009, 12:40 PM) *
HOPE THIS HELPS

Thats another rumor I've heard. The question is if its true-why does he choose to isolate himself from the Elvis world?

+Quote Post
memphis 77
post Jan 21 2009, 05:38 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (Jouni @ Jan 15 2009, 12:37 PM) *
Thanks for the infos... would be intresting to know where he really is these days. (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/undecided.gif)

As already mentioned, Shaver "owns" copyrights to some of the best pictures of our guy, but for some reason or another, he has also faked quite a few ones.
For the curious/those who haven't seen them, here are some of them (off the top of my head). I think everyone can spot what exactly is "fake" about them. (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Attached File  SS__1.jpg ( 67.66K ) Number of downloads: 14
Attached File  SS__2.jpg ( 48.95K ) Number of downloads: 10
Attached File  SS__4.jpg ( 57.46K ) Number of downloads: 10
Attached File  SS__5.jpg ( 69.67K ) Number of downloads: 9

many thanx jouni for postin these pics the third one in the midldle of him in the blue nail suit painted red is from the small book ELVIS in focus it's one of my all time faves i knew it was a fke , i never understood why he did this and many of the retouched photos that he published in our memeories of ELVIS book is a real draw back as well , again many thanx for postin these how do you feel about the stories that he wrote in this and other particular books of his.

--------------------

+Quote Post
memphis 77
post Jan 21 2009, 05:40 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (Mac @ Jan 16 2009, 08:11 PM) *
Thats another rumor I've heard. The question is if its true-why does he choose to isolate himself from the Elvis world?

many thanx for the info as paul would know .

--------------------

+Quote Post
J
post Jan 22 2009, 04:34 PM
Post #14

Down in the Jungle Room

QUOTE (memphis 77 @ Jan 21 2009, 07:38 PM) *
many thanx jouni for postin these pics the third one in the midldle of him in the blue nail suit painted red is from the small book ELVIS in focus it's one of my all time faves i knew it was a fke , i never understood why he did this and many of the retouched photos that he published in our memeories of ELVIS book is a real draw back as well , again many thanx for postin these how do you feel about the stories that he wrote in this and other particular books of his.

Unfortunately, I don't own any of Shaver's books. They're quite hard to get these days, and not to mention I don't own any kind of credit card at the moment, so I can't even order the books from abroad if I had the chance. But the things I have heard about them are basically only good things. Some of his books are legendary, photo-wise, but to tell you the truth, I can't recall reading anything about the stories written in them... can you shed any light on this... are they his personal recollections?

+Quote Post
memphis 77
post Jan 22 2009, 06:51 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (Jouni @ Jan 22 2009, 05:34 PM) *
Unfortunately, I don't own any of Shaver's books. They're quite hard to get these days, and not to mention I don't own any kind of credit card at the moment, so I can't even order the books from abroad if I had the chance. But the things I have heard about them are basically only good things. Some of his books are legendary, photo-wise, but to tell you the truth, I can't recall reading anything about the stories written in them... can you shed any light on this... are they his personal recollections?

well jouni i think his most revealing book of his days on the road following E.P. is contained in the small book ELVIS in focus he even says he taped some conversations between him and ELVIS , and that he out witted the colonel many a time at airports and so on , he also gave pictures that he took of E,P. to ELVIS himself, it's an interesting read and glance through the life of a true fan .

--------------------

+Quote Post
J
post Jan 22 2009, 07:41 PM
Post #16

Down in the Jungle Room

QUOTE (memphis 77 @ Jan 22 2009, 08:51 PM) *
well jouni i think his most revealing book of his days on the road following E.P. is contained in the small book ELVIS in focus he even says he taped some conversations between him and ELVIS , and that he out witted the colonel many a time at airports and so on , he also gave pictures that he took of E,P. to ELVIS himself, it's an interesting read and glance through the life of a true fan .

Sounds interesting... thanks for the infos! .....Actually, now that you mentioned, I seem to recall something from a documentary film ("Return To Splendour"?)... the narrator told a story along the lines of Sean giving photos to Elvis, in which Elvis was wearing the 1972 blue "Lucky Suit", and that Elvis liked how the suit looked in pictures... or something like that... I better check the documentary again.

+Quote Post
Francesc
post Jan 22 2009, 09:09 PM
Post #17

Listening to Elvis

Member No.: 364

Sean Shaver books are really good. Elvis On Focus is really good and the stories are entertaining, I don't know where the truth lines in all of them. Photographing the King is not that good and it is pretty much like Elvis on Focus but the photos are in worse quality.

The Elvis volumes (2 concert ones and 1 candids) are really really awesome!

Just check ebay and eventually you'll get them.

--------------------
Elvis Presley in Concert
http://www.elvisconcerts.com

+Quote Post
memphis 77
post Jan 23 2009, 05:45 PM
Post #18

QUOTE (Jouni @ Jan 22 2009, 08:41 PM) *
Sounds intresting... thanks for the infos! .....Actually, now that you mentioned, I seem to recall something from a documentary film ("Return To Splendour"?)... the narrator told a story along the lines of Sean giving photos to Elvis, in which Elvis was wearing the 1972 blue "Lucky Suit", and that Elvis liked how the suit looked in pictures... or something like that... I better check the documentary again.

yes the narrator was a super fan ann nixon and it was a great video filled with some of shavers and hal nolands film that they took of E.P. , i've got a question in the past couple of years many have said that the pic of him and ELVIS that apears in the book the life of ELVIS PRESLEY is a fake , is it really i know that the same day ELVIS was pictured with joe guercio.

--------------------

+Quote Post
memphis 77
post Jan 23 2009, 05:48 PM
Post #19

QUOTE (Francesc @ Jan 22 2009, 10:09 PM) *
Sean Shaver books are really good. Elvis On Focus is really good and the stories are entertaining, I don't know where the truth lines in all of them. Photographing the King is not that good and it is pretty much like Elvis on Focus but the photos are in worse quality.

The Elvis volumes (2 concert ones and 1 candids) are really really awesome!
Just check ebay and eventually you'll get them.

i sure do agree that photographing the king was a bit of a downer , many claim it's one of his worse but i feel that fairytales was his worse for me along with vol 1 of the large poster books because of the repiticious photos of keth alverson and len leech among other photogs pics.

--------------------

+Quote Post
J
post Jan 23 2009, 06:35 PM
Post #20

Down in the Jungle Room

QUOTE (memphis 77 @ Jan 23 2009, 07:45 PM) *
yes the narrator was a super fan ann nixon and it was a great video filled with some of shavers and hal nolands film that they took of E.P. , i've got a question in the past couple of years many have said that the pic of him and ELVIS that apears in the book the life of ELVIS PRESLEY is a fake , is it really i know that the same day ELVIS was pictured with joe guercio.

I'm not entirely sure which picture you're referring to, as I don't own the book, but there are at least a couple of shots of Elvis with Sean available. It is my understanding that the color photo (below) is a fake, or at least altered in some way, but the b&w shot is the real deal... is the color shot the one you were referring to?

Attached File  1974_____10.jpg ( 270.36K ) Number of downloads: 17
Attached File  1974_01_26.jpg ( 39.56K ) Number of downloads: 11

+Quote Post
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 05:22 PM
Hosted By: ElviCities