Reply to this topic Start new topic
 Elvis, his life year by year.

GuitarMan66
post Sep 7 2006, 10:21 AM
Post #1

Down in the Jungle Room

Group: Special Members
Member No.: 9

In this series of articles I would like to lay out Elvis' life on a year to year basis, highlighting as many key events as possible, both profesionally and personally that occured during his lifetime.I have decided to start in 1953 the year that Elvis turned 18 and of course the year when he would make his first venture into a recording studio.

March 26
An 18 year old Elvis Presley signs on at the Tennessee State Employment Security office. His address is now 462 Alabama during their 5 years in Memphis (since moving from Tupelo Miss)the Presley family (Elvis his father Vernon and mother Gladys)have moved many times due mostly to the fact that they are continually earning more in wages than the Memphis housing projects will allow.
The interviewer at the security office notes "rather flashily dressed playboy type" on his application
April 9
Elvis takes part in the annual Humes High School Minstrel Show singing Till I Waltz Again With You by Teresa Brewer. Despite being wrongly listed on the bill as Elvis Prestly after his performance Elvis suddenly becomes very popular in school.
June 3
Elvis receives his High School diploma.
July 1
Elvis starts work on a temporary basis at M.B Parker Co. on an assembly line making $36 a week.
Around this time Elvis visits Sun Studios on Union Ave he has frequented the premises on a number of occasions making small talk with the lady on the front desk Marion Keisker usually enquiring as to whether she knows of any groups that may be looking for a singer however, this time he takes things a step further and decides to cut a record at his own expense hoping that this will attract at least Marion's attention as the owner Sam Phillips is not present. He records 2 songs "My Happiness" and "That's When You're Heartaches Begin" whilst accompanying himself on guitar.
Aug 21
Colonel Tom Parker the self titled one time carny operator who is now working as manager for country singer Eddy Arnold receives a telegram from his client informing him that his services are no longer required. Parker who is fast becoming well known for his rather unique management skills is taken aback by this and finds himself temporarily unemployed.
Sept 21
Back at work this time for Precision Tools Elvis is now assembling shelves for $1.55 an hour a job he will keep until March '54.
Elvis again returns to Sun Studios cutting another 2 songs "I'll Never Stand In You're Way " and " It Wouldn't Be The Same Without You" like the previous time Marion takes some interest in his singing though nothing comes of it.
Also around this time Elvis begins dating 14 year old Dixie Locke they see each other frequently and often attend the all night gospel sing in's at Ellis Auditorium which features such groups as The Blackwood Brothers and Elvis' favourites The Statesmen and especially the lead singer Jake Hess.
March 19
Due to constant tormenting about his dress sense and length of his hair from fellow work mates Elvis leaves his job at Precision Tools.
April 20
Starting out as a truck driver Elvis begins work for Crown Electric Co. Hoping one day to train as an electrician.
June 26
Marion phones Elvis to ask if he would be interested in trying out a song that Sam Phillips has acquired, a ballad called "Without You" Elvis is at the studio practically before she hangs up the phone, but the session is unsuccessful as Elvis struggles with the song.
July 3
A young guitarist called Scotty Moore calls at Elvis' house he has been given Elvis' name by Sam Phillips and Scotty is wondering whether he would like to audition for his group the Starlight Wranglers. The next day Elvis meets up with Scotty and bass player Bill Black to run through some songs none of which seem to work though Scotty after talking with Sam agrees that it could be worth a try in the studio to see if they can come up with something better.
July 5
Now in the studios at Sun the trio tries to come up with something to impress the owner Sam Phillips without much luck. However during a "break" Elvis begins to fool around with a country song called "That's All Right" Scotty and Bill join in and suddenly Sam hears that "something "he has been waiting for. The three do a couple of more takes to iron out the edges and soon a master take is complete.
Sam is very excited about this song and despite having no B side as yet he decides to play the record for Dewey Philips (no relation to Sam) a local disc jockey, in the hope of getting some air time. Dewey loves the song and plays it on his next show. Gladys and Vernon listen intently to hear Elvis' song on the radio for the first time but Elvis himself can't stand the tension and decides to go the movies. The song is played and the switchboard lights up as callers go crazy wanting to know more about the record. Dewey calls Elvis' home to get him to come over for an interview so Vernon and Gladys have to chase Elvis down at the movie theatre and take him over to the studio where Dewey is playing the record over and over again.
During the coming days Elvis Scotty and Bill are back in the studio frantically trying to come up with a B side worthy of "That's All Right" and once again by pure chance they stumble across "Blue Moon Of Kentucky" during another improvised session.
July 12
Due to the complete confidence in their new single Scotty Moore now becomes Elvis' manager
and booking agent with the 3 agreeing to split all earnings 50% to Elvis and 25% each to Scotty and Bill.
July 17
The trio play the Bon Air club in Memphis singing the two songs on their first single.
Having been away on vacation in Florida Dixie is quite surprised on her return to see so how so much has changed for Elvis in such a short time.
July 26
Sam Philips signs Elvis to a contract with Sun records for a two year period with a further two year option to be added at the company's discretion.
July 30
Elvis and the boys appear at the Overton Park Shell in Memphis their biggest venue to date. Elvis' family, Dixie and Sam Phillips are among the crowd. It's at this show that Elvis' gyrations first begin to come to attention whether it is nerves on Elvis' part or just an unconscious movement to the music the reaction from the crowd is amazing. And this sets the precedent for most shows thereafter.
August
Billboard magazine in a review of his first single hail Elvis as "a strong new talent".
Throughout this month and up until November the trio regularly play at The Eagles Nest nightclub in Memphis honing their stage talents. As well as making ever more regular appearances on the Louisiana Hayride
Also around this time it is announced Col.Tom Parker will become the new manager of country star Hank Snow in a joint partnership called Hank Snow Enterprises and Jamboree Attractions.
September
Good Rockin' Tonight/ I Don't Care If The Sun Don't Shine is released as Elvis' second single whilst it does well in the Memphis area it never lives up to the success of his first release.
Dec 13
Scotty Moore writes a letter to Tom Diskin, Col. Parkers right hand man enquiring about help with future bookings for the group.
Dec 23
Elvis and the boys are pulled over for speeding whilst heading home from Shreveport, fortunately the officer only cautions them. The three men count up their money at the curbside, with Elvis reminiscing years later that he "had never had so much money in his pockets at one time" to which he promptly went out and blew the lot on Christmas presents.
Dec 29
A write up in the Memphis Press-Scimitar states DJ Bob Neal is to take over as manager of Elvis Presley in the New Year and also releases details of his third Sun single Milk Cow Blues Boogie/ You're A Heartbreaker.

This post has been edited by Pacer: Mar 2 2007, 10:11 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
LittleDarlin
post Sep 7 2006, 05:43 PM
Post #2

Down in the Jungle Room

Member No.: 419

Thanks Steve
Looking forward to the next instalment (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/cool2.gif)

+Quote Post
GuitarMan66
post Sep 16 2006, 04:45 PM
Post #3

Down in the Jungle Room

January
Elvis kicks off the year with a month of touring. Performing mostly in Texas, though also keeping dates with The Louisiana Hayride in Shreveport. During this month Col.Parker starts to take notice of the rave reviews Elvis is constantly getting, prompting him to help Bob Neal (Elvis’ new manager) in arranging bookings for the “Memphis Flash” as he’s becoming known.
February 6
A meeting is arranged in which Bob Neal, Sam Phillips Col.Parker and Tom Diskin are to discuss the future plans they have for Elvis. Though the meeting soon turns sour when Parker points out that Elvis is going nowhere with a small time label like Sun Records, he goes on to state that he has already held talks with RCA to buy out his contract, this does not go down well with Phillips.
Throughout this month Col.Parker continually tries to further promote Elvis, writing to the William Morris Agency in New York Parker states that if “exploited properly” Elvis could really succeed.
April
“Baby Let’s Play House”/”I’m Left You’re Right She’s Gone is Elvis’ fourth single release. He has toured Texas and the south almost constantly for the past two months. Though he does return to Memphis on the 6th to attend Dixie’s junior prom.
May 13
After performing in front of 14.000 people at the Jacksonville baseball park Elvis promptly says “Girls, I’ll see you all backstage” prompting a full scale riot. After witnessing this event first hand Parker is now totally convinced of Elvis’ potential.
May 26
Bob Neal receives a letter from Col.Parker in which he offers to work more closely with him in promoting Elvis.
June 5
Gladys is woken through the night having had a terrible nightmare in which she sees Elvis in terrible trouble. The same night whilst traveling to Texarkana with a girl Elvis’ Cadillac catches fire and is badly burned.
June 17
Bob Neal and Col.Parker have a meeting in which it is agreed that whilst Neal will still be Elvis’ manager, Parker will handle all bookings and future plans especially in trying to get Elvis off Sun and onto a major label.
July 16
“Baby Let’s Plat House” debut’s at 15 on the Country and Western charts this is Elvis’ first record to hit the national charts.
August
As Elvis’ fame continues to grow from out of the south D J Fontana joins the group as a drummer on a regular basis. I Forgot to Remember to Forget/Mystery Train is released as Elvis’ fifth and final Sun single.
Aug 15
A new contract is drawn up which names Col. Parker as “special advisor” controlling virtually every aspect of Elvis career as he moves yet another step further to taking full control.
October 1 Thanks to the Colonel Scotty and Bill will now receive a fixed payment of $200 a week for their services as opposed to the 25% each of all profits, this is not an entirely smart move on the boys behalf as Elvis and the band are continually earning more money as Elvis’ fame continues to grow.
Also during October as a final move to oust Bob Neal from any further involvement with Elvis (Parker and Neal had been squabbling during the months previous over bookings etc) the Colonel manages to acquire the signatures of Elvis’ parents on a new contract granting him ‘sole and exclusive rights’ to represent their son as regards negotiations for a new recording contract, this virtually removes Neal from the picture all together.
Toward the end of the month Parker telegrams Sam Phillips informing him of this new arrangement and also to ‘name his price’ as regards to buying Elvis’ contract from Sun. This at the time would seem a little premature as Parker has no recording companies lined up to foot the bill.
A couple of days later Bob Neal hears about the Colonels dealings and demands a meeting to straighten things out as he is still Elvis’ manager(he has another four months left on his contract).
After various telegrams between Parker and RCA the record company wires Parker with the news that they will only go as far as $25,000 for buying Elvis’ contract.
Parker goes to Memphis to strike a deal with Phillips, basically he gives the Colonel until Nov 15 to come up with $35,000 to release Elvis from Sun. This does not go down well with RCA who are unsure of investing in Elvis in the first place especially at an unheard of sum like Phillips is asking for.
Nov 15
On the final day of the option Parker finally convinces RCA to match Phillip’s asking price and he quickly wires $5000 to Phillips as a down payment to secure the deal.
Nov 21
Various RCA execs Elvis and his parents as well as Col. Parker, Bob Neal and Sam Phillips all converge on Sun studios to sign the paperwork and seal the deal.
December
Parker books Elvis to appear on TV for the first time on CBS’ Saturday night variety show Jimmy and Tommy Dorsey’s Stage Show.
Elvis spends Christmas with his parents in their new home on Getwell Road.
January10
Elvis attends his first recording session for RCA in Nashville were Chet Atkins is the studio chief. This is also the first time drummer DJ Fontana has worked with Elvis Scotty and Bill in the studio. Chet a well respected country guitarist in his own right also lends a hand as well as pianist Floyd Cramer.
Heartbreak Hotel is recorded as well as I Got a Woman and Money Honey. The obvious attempt at recreating the ‘Sun” sound is quite evident on these recordings. Though it never quite works, to the apparent disappointment of RCA executives.
January 27
RCA release Heartbreak Hotel/I Was The One.
January 28
Elvis debuts on ‘Stage Show’ he performs Shake Rattle and Roll/Flip Flop and Fly and I Got a Woman.
Over the next few days Elvis is back in the studio recording amongst other songs Blue Suede Shoes and Lawdy Miss Clawdy.
Feb 4
Elvis makes his second appearance on ‘Stage Show’ this time he sings Baby Lets Play House and Tutti Frutti .
Feb 11
For his 3rd appearance on ‘Stage Show’ Elvis performs Heartbreak Hotel and Blue Suede Shoes.
The new single hadn’t exactly set the charts alight as RCA had hoped, so it was probably thought best to perform it on TV hopefully to boost sales.
Feb 18
Elvis sings Tutti Frutti and I Was The One for his fourth ‘Stage Show’ appearance.
March2
Bob Neal’s involvement with Elvis comes to an end on this day leaving Col.Parker in sole charge of managing Elvis. Parker also closes all dealings with Hank Snow much to the annoyance of Snow who was (through Elvis) expecting to profit from his involvement with Parker and Hank Snow enterprises.
March3
Heartbreak Hotel enters Billboard’s top 100 at No 68.
March 7
Elvis receives the script for his upcoming screen test with Hal Wallis. It is a reading for a part in a film called The Rainmaker, which is set to star Burt Lancaster and Katharine Hepburn.
March 17
For his 5th appearance on ‘Stage Show’ Elvis sings Heartbreak Hotel (which is now storming up the charts) and Blue Suede Shoes.
March 20
Elvis buys a new house in Memphis located at 1034 Audubon Drive his parents move in first whilst Elvis is still out on tour.
March 24
This is Elvis’ last appearance on ‘Stage Show’ he sings Money Honey and Heartbreak Hotel
March 26
Elvis has his screen test at Paramount Studios and comes across ‘like the lead in a high school play’ according to screenwriter Alan Weiss.
Also on this day both Elvis and Col. Parker sign a contract stipulating Parker as now the sole and exclusive manager to Elvis Presley.
The album ‘Elvis Presley’ enters the charts at No 11 with sales in excess of 100,000
April 2
Elvis is offered a contract by Hal Wallis (which after negotiations, will be signed later in the month). The contract offers Elvis one motion picture with an option for six more at a rate of $ 15,000 for his first movie with the fee rising thereafter. With an eventual $100,000 for the seventh film. However with Elvis continued success this contract lasts only until 1958 after which it is torn up and rewritten.
April 3
Elvis appears on the Milton Berle TV show, broadcast from the deck of the USS.Hancock he sings Heartbreak Hotel and Blue Suede Shoes.
April 10
‘Elvis Presley’ the album has now sold over 362,000 copies making it RCA’s first $1 million album by a solo artist.
April 14
Elvis whilst in the recording studio Elvis receives his first gold record for one million sales of Heartbreak Hotel.
April 23
Elvis appears for the first time in Las Vegas on a two week engagement at the New Frontier Hotel. In front of a more mature audience Elvis’ stage routine is lost and he bombs. Though at the same time he soon falls under the spell of Vegas itself and he takes in many of the regular acts like Liberace.
June 5
Elvis appears for the second time on the Milton Berle Show first singing ‘I Want You I Need You I Love You’ then ‘Hound Dog’ the latter complete with a slow ending which has Elvis suggestively gyrating about the stage. The next day the media goes berserk calling Elvis ‘vulgar and obscene’
July 1
Elvis appears on the Steve Allen Show wearing a tuxedo (an idea of Allen’s) he sings ‘I Want You I Need You I Love You and Hound Dog, though this time it’s to a real dog stood on a pedestal. Elvis would later recall how ridiculous he felt not only wearing the tuxedo but singing to a dog.
July 2
Elvis is in the recording studios again this time laying down the classic songs Hound Dog and Don’t Be Cruel along with Any Way You Want Me.
August 22
Production starts on Elvis’ first movie ‘The Reno Brothers’ Hal Wallis has waived his right to produce Elvis’ first film so Parker does a deal with Fox studios for which Elvis will receive $100,000 and co-star billing.
September 9
Elvis appears on the Ed Sullivan Show and attracts over 80% of the national viewing audience singing Don’t Be Cruel, Love Me Tender (now the new title of his film) Ready Teddy and Hound Dog.
September 21
Filming concludes on Love Me Tender.
October 28
For his second appearance on the Ed Sullivan show Elvis sings Don’t Be Cruel, Love Me, Love Me Tender and Hound Dog.
By now Elvis has sold in excess of 10 million singles amounting to two-thirds of RCA’s singles output for the year.
November 15
Love Me Tender opens at the Paramount theatre in New York. A forty foot tall figure of Elvis is unveiled under the theater marquee much to the delight of the 1,500 squealing fans who have been gathering outside since the previous night.
In its first week of opening Variety reports that with earnings of $540,000 Love Me Tender is second in earnings only to Giant starring Rock Hudson, Elizabeth Taylor and the late James Dean.
December 4
Back in Memphis for the Christmas holidays Elvis stops by Sun records where Carl Perkins is in the middle of a recording session, soon they are joined by a new Sun artist called Jerry Lee Lewis and the three men begin an informal jam session. Johnny Cash also shows up but does not join in as he is Christmas shopping at the time. The tapes of this jam will become known as ‘The Million Dollar Quartet’.
Dec 25
Elvis spends Christmas Day with his parents at home on Audubon Drive.

--------------------

+Quote Post
LittleDarlin
post Sep 16 2006, 09:23 PM
Post #4

Down in the Jungle Room

(IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Thanks for the time it took you to do this

+Quote Post
stefan
post Sep 17 2006, 11:38 AM
Post #5

Down in the Jungle Room
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 10

Thanks for your efforts steve !! very much apriciated (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/thumbup.gif)

Interersting stuff, always nice to read !!

--------------------
"How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

+Quote Post
GuitarMan66
post Sep 18 2006, 10:03 AM
Post #6

Down in the Jungle Room

Thanks again Carol, and you to Stefan (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/king.gif)
Though i have to be honest and say a lot of this info is from the book Elvis Day By Day, so I dont deserve too much credit (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

--------------------

+Quote Post
stefan
post Sep 18 2006, 10:11 AM
Post #7

Down in the Jungle Room
Group Icon

QUOTE (Pacer @ Sep 18 2006, 12:03 PM) *
Thanks again Carol, and you to Stefan [img]style_emoticons/default/king.gif[/img]
Though i have to be honest and say a lot of this info is from the book Elvis Day By Day, so I dont deserve too much credit [img]style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif[/img]

The fact happens to be that I don't read that book everyday, so this is a really nice read once in a while ! [img]style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img]

Keep up the great work Steve [img]style_emoticons/default/up.gif[/img]

--------------------
"How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

+Quote Post
LittleDarlin
post Sep 18 2006, 06:18 PM
Post #8

Down in the Jungle Room

And I dont have the book at all.....so its even better for me (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
One Night
post Sep 21 2006, 10:16 PM
Post #9

At The Gates Of Graceland
Group Icon

Group: VIP
Member No.: 8

Nice info Steve..... (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/up.gif)

Interesting read,well done and (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/thanks.gif)

(IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

--------------------
Jules

Mrs Nightrider

R.I.P BAZZA BABY!

+Quote Post
GuitarMan66
post Oct 4 2006, 09:58 AM
Post #10

Down in the Jungle Room

QUOTE (One Night @ Sep 21 2006, 11:16 PM) *
Nice info Steve..... [img]style_emoticons/default/up.gif[/img]

Interesting read,well done and [img]style_emoticons/default/thanks.gif[/img]

[img]style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif[/img]

Thanks for the kind words Jules. [img]style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif[/img]

--------------------

+Quote Post
GuitarMan66
post Oct 4 2006, 10:10 AM
Post #11

Down in the Jungle Room

January 4
Elvis has a pre-induction physical at Kennedy Veterans Hospital to determine his draft status. Then later boards a train for New York City for his 3rd appearance on the Ed Sullivan show.
January 6
Elvis guests on the Ed Sullivan for the last time and is filmed strictly from the waist up. He sings a medley of Hound Dog, Love Me Tender and Heartbreak Hotel later he sings Don’t Be Cruel, Too Much and When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold Again then closes the show with Peace In The Valley.
January 22
Filming begins on Elvis 2nd film titled Sing You Sinners. However the title will soon change (as will become the normal practice) to the title of one of the songs in the film, in this case Loving You.
February 21
Vernon and Gladys visit Elvis on the set and appear as audience extras during the filming of the Got A Lot Of Livin’ To Do sequence.
After Gladys’ death Elvis would never watch this film again
March 10
Filming concludes on Loving You with the Colonel throwing a party on the set.
March 16
After returning from their visit to Hollywood Vernon and Gladys start to hunt for a house that will offer them more space and privacy than they are allowed on Audubon Drive.
They spot a mansion just on the outskirts of Memphis on Highway 51 South, it is set in 14 acres of land and is named Graceland after the great aunt of the woman who built it.
They quickly telephone Elvis with the news.
March 19
Elvis views the mansion and immediately puts down a $1000 deposit.
April 22
The now famous iron gates are put in place at the front entrance to Graceland.
May 13
Elvis’ 3rd movie Jailhouse Rock begins filming with the title songs “dance sequence” being one of the first parts shot. It is whilst filming this part that Elvis swallows one of the caps from his teeth and is taken to hospital to have it removed from his lung.
June 14
Filming is completed on Jailhouse Rock
June 18
A kidney shaped swimming pool is installed at Graceland at a cost of just over $8000.
June 26
Elvis spends his first night at Graceland.
July 7
Through friend George Klein Elvis meets and begins dating Anita Wood, a 19 year old singer and aspiring actress. She continues a close relationship with Elvis for the next five years.

July 30
Loving you opens nationwide
August 8
Elvis along with his ever-growing circle of friends which now include George Klein, Lamar Fike, Cliff Gleaves and Alan Fortas hire the Memphis fairground for the evening, and then continue on to a private showing of Loving You
August 21
At the cost of a $1000 Elvis buys 2 stone lions and has them placed on either side of the steps at Graceland
September 7
Scotty, Bill and DJ are due to record some instrumentals of their own at the end of Elvis’ recording session. However time runs out and the boys are told that they cannot record their material. Upset about this they turn to Elvis who does not take their side. On the same day Scotty and Bill write a letter of resignation expressing some of the problems and resentment they have been feeling over the past year or so DJ does not go along with them.
September 12
Elvis talks to Scotty about his and Bills resignation asking what it would take for them to return. However the next day the story appears in the papers with Scotty quoted as saying ‘Elvis promised us the more he made the more we would make, but it hasn’t turned out that way. Elvis’ response is to publicly wish Scotty and Bill all the best for the future further adding ‘If they had come to me things could have been worked out but instead they went to the papers trying to make me look bad’
October 5
Billed as ‘The Blue Moon Boys, Scotty and Bill begin a sixteen day tour of their own performing four shows a day. However shortly before they leave Tom Diskin (Colonel Parkers right hand man) phones them on Elvis’ behalf asking for them to return, they both agree to do so in time for Elvis’ upcoming tour.
October 12
Elvis has a ten day holiday in Las Vegas dating exotic dancer Tempest Storm.
October 17
Jailhouse Rock premiers in Memphis though Elvis does not attend.
November 5
Elvis sets sail for Hawaii where he is scheduled to perform three shows.
November 8
Jailhouse Rock opens nationwide and will peak at No3 on Box Office charts.
November 18
Elvis is back in Vegas this time he dates singer Kitty Dolan.
December 16
The Memphis draft board has let Elvis know he will soon be receiving his draft notice.
Also today Elvis buys a Santa sleigh and eight reindeer at a cost of $300 from Bain sign company in Memphis, this is the same display that still continues to be used outside of Graceland every Christmas.
Dec 20
After picking up his draft notice Elvis pays a visit to Sun Studios, and later tells a reporter regarding his impending army stint that ‘it is a duty I’ve got to fill and I’m going to do it.’
Also later today he delivers a red Isetta sports car to Colonel Parker, his Christmas present for his manager.
Dec 24
Elvis asks for and is granted a deferment to his army induction so he can be allowed to film his next motion picture on schedule.
Dec 25
Elvis spends Christmas at Graceland with his parents.

1958 January 13
Elvis and his entourage arrive in California to begin work on his new picture King Creole an adaptation of Harold Robbins novel A Stone For Danny Fisher.
Jan 15
Work begins on the soundtrack today and continues on tomorrow working closely with Elvis are song writers Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller who also wrote the soundtrack for Jailhouse Rock.
February 1
Working from 10.00 am till 7.00 pm Elvis cuts songs for what will be the last scheduled non-soundtrack recording session before he enters the army. However the session is a bit of a disaster as Elvis and the band struggle with ‘Wear My Ring Around You’re Neck before moving onto forty eight takes of ‘Dontcha Think It’s Time.
RCA exec Steve Sholes is very disappointed as there is hardly any material ‘in the can’ to release whilst Elvis is in the army.
March 1
Location shooting begins on King Creole in New Orleans.
March 12
In an interview Elvis tells a reporter that the army can’t be any worse than the merry- go- round he’s been on for the last two years.
March 23
On his final night before joining the army Elvis accompanied by Anita Wood and friends go to a drive in, afterwards they all go roller-skating stopping up all night.
March 24
At 6.35 am Elvis along with family members and friends reports to the draft board where he joins up with twelve other recruits. His serial No is US 53310761 after a physical Elvis is put in charge of the group for the trip by army bus to Fort Chaffee Arkansas.
March 25
Elvis and his fellow soldiers continue their processing which includes a regulation haircut. Later in the day he is assigned to the second armored tank division stationed at Fort Hood, Killeen, Texas.
May 28
By now Elvis has earned a marksman medal for a rifle and achieved sharpshooter level with a pistol, and is also acting assistant leader of the squad.
June 1
Elvis is back at Graceland on a two week furlough following the end of his army basic training. Whilst on leave he buys himself a new red Lincoln, goes to the rollerdrome and the fairgrounds. And also takes his parents to see King Creole.
June 10
Elvis holds his last recording session for the next two years, recording in Nashville’s studio B, the overnight session produces such songs as ‘I Need You’re Love Tonight’ and ‘A Big Hunk o’ Love’.
June 16
Elvis now begins a ten week advanced tank training course at Fort Hood.
July 1
Elvis’ parents along with cousins Gene and Junior Smith and various close friends all move to a leased house in Killeen to be near Elvis.
July 2
King Creole opens nationwide and peaks at No 5 on a Box Office survey.
August 8
Due to Elvis’ insistence Gladys along with Vernon goes back to Memphis. She has been unwell and depressed for some time. Her conditions made worse by the constant worry she has for Elvis’ well being, even more so now he is in the army.
The next day she is taken into hospital suffering from what is thought to be an undiagnosed liver complaint. Her condition is listed as grave.
August 12
Elvis is given emergency leave to be with his mother.
August 14
Gladys passes away in hospital with Vernon by her side. Elvis and his father are inconsolable.
August 15
The funeral is held at 3.30 pm, with the Blackwood Brothers performing many of Gladys’ favourite hymns. As her body is lowered into the ground Elvis has to be physically restrained from running to the coffin.
Aug 24
Elvis returns to Fort Hood. He leaves instructions that nothing is to be touched in his mother’s bedroom while he is gone.
Sept 11
Elvis is assigned to the 3rd Armored division in Germany.
September 18
Elvis surrounded by family and friends spends an emotional last night in Killleen
Sept 22
On board the USS Randall Elvis and his fellow soldiers set sail for Germany. On board he befriends Charlie Hodge a professional quartet singer and entertainer and they bunk together during the crossing. Charlie tries to keep Elvis’ spirits up by telling him jokes and the two are put in charge of a talent show on board ship.They will remain close friends for the rest of Elvis’ life.
October 1
The USS Randall docks at Bremerhaven in Germany where it is met by 1,500 fans.
Elvis is assigned to the Ray Kaserne barracks in Friedberg.
Oct 6
Elvis is given permission to live off base. He rents four rooms at the Hillberts Park Hotel in Bad Nauhiem for himself, his father, grandmother (Vernon’s mother), Lamar Fike and Red West.
Oct 14
The Colonel writes the first of what will be many letters and telegrams aimed at helping to lift Elvis’ spirits, Parker keeps him updated on every plan of action he has for keeping him in the public eye whilst he is in Germany.
Oct 28
A homesick Elvis writes to girlfriend Anita Wood back in Memphis expressing how he is a ‘lonely little boy 5000 miles away’ and how he looks forward to their marriage and a ‘little Elvis’.
November 2
Dee Stanley the wife of an American sergeant stationed nearby phones Elvis inviting him to dinner with her family. Elvis manages to pass off the invitation, however, his father Vernon accepts his invitation whilst Elvis is on maneuvers.
Nov 3
Elvis’ company arrives in Bavaria on the Czech border, in freezing conditions. Here Elvis excels in reconnaissance maneuvers.
Nov 27
Elvis receives promotion to private first class.
Dec 24
Elvis helps decorate the company’s Christmas tree and sings a moving rendition of Silent Night.
Dec 25
Now staying at the more up market Hotel Grunewald Elvis along with his family and friends celebrate Christmas in Germany.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GuitarMan66
post Oct 31 2006, 12:40 PM
Post #12

Down in the Jungle Room

January 8
Elvis celebrates his 24th birthday in Germany.
January 16
Elvis along with fellow soldiers gives blood at the Wartturm Barracks in Friedberg for the Red Cross.
Around this time Elvis and party move out of the Hotel Grunewald and into a 3 story house at 14 Goethestrasse paying $800 a month rental. A sign is soon posted outside ‘Autogramme von 19:30 – 20:00 (autographs from 7:30 – 8:00pm)
March 18
Elvis is thrown from his jeep whilst rounding a bend, injuring his knee. He is ordered to take 3 days rest and requests no announcement be made to the press.
March 27
Elvis celebrates the half way mark of his army stint with an ‘Over the Hump” party.
June 1
Elvis is promoted to Specialist 4th class with an increase in his salary to $122.30 a month.
June 3
Elvis is hospitalized with tonsillitis and a fever for six days.
June 13
This marks the beginning of a 15 day furlough in which Elvis and some of his friends will travel to Munich and then onto Paris. Whilst there he stays at the Prince De Galles Hotel occupying a top floor suite. He sleeps through the day and parties at night going to various clubs like The Moulin Rouge and The Lido.
June 22
Vernon returns to Memphis for business purposes and also to follow Dee Stanley who is back home in Virginia whilst her husband remains in Germany.
July 15
It is announced to the press that upon his release from the army Elvis will appear on the Frank Sinatra show and will receive $125,000 for his appearance, which, is more than Frank will get for the whole show.
July 27
Vernon takes Dee to Louisville Kentucky to visit his father Jessie.
Aug15
U.S Army Captain Paul Beaulieu arrives in Wiesbarden accompanied by his wife and 3 children there previous posting was an Air Force base in Texas.
Aug 17
Filming starts on location shots for Elvis’ next movie ‘Christmas In Berlin’ it is mostly background footage of army operations as the Colonel has expressly forbidden Elvis to take part in any shooting.
September 13
Elvis’ friend Currie Grant brings 14 year old Priscilla Beaulieu to the house on Goethestrasse to meet Elvis. And everyone in the room notices Elvis’ immediate attraction to her.
After there first meeting he confides to friend Charlie Hodge that Priscilla is ‘like the woman I’ve been looking for all my life’. From now on she spends all her free time at the house as does another new army friend of Elvis’ Joe Esposito from Chicago.
October 21
Vernon’s father Jessie Presley writes to his son telling him that Joan Crawford has recently visited at the Coca Cola factory where he works. And that she sought him out of the workers to tell him what a fine grandson he has.
October 24
Once again Elvis is hospitalized with tonsillitis after spending a few days in hospital he is ordered to take 3 days rest at home.
December 6
Elvis begins to take an active interest in karate taking lessons with instructor Jurgen Seydel who is known as ‘the father of German karate’. He continues his lessons twice a week for the remainder of his time in Germany.
December 25
Elvis celebrates Christmas with family and friends at the house on Goethestrasse.Elvis has a French poodle delivered to Anita Wood.
Priscilla’s present for Elvis is a set of bongo drums.

January 5
Elvis is given 12 days leave.
January 8
Elvis is interviewed on his 25th birthday by Dick Clark for American Bandstand. He speaks about his up coming recording session, his appearance on the Frank Sinatra show and about his next movie (now called G.I Blues)
January 12
Whilst on leave Elvis travels once again to Paris accompanied by Joe Esposito, Cliff Gleaves, Lamar Fike and his karate instructor Jurgen Seydel. Whilst there they attend 5 karate classes. For the first time Joe Esposito is put in charge of keeping an expenditure account of the trip.
January 20
Elvis is promoted to acting sergeant
February 11
Elvis receives his full sergeant’s stripes and throws a party to celebrate.
February 26
Elvis receives a redeployment order showing him he will be transferred to Fort Dix, New Jersey on March 3 1960.
Elvis calls Anita Wood with the good news as he prepares to take up his old lifestyle again. Both Elisabeth Stefaniak and Joe Esposito have agreed to work for Elvis on his return to the States.
February 29
Billboard reports that Elvis Presley has sold more than 18 million records to date , more than any other artist in history.
March 1
Elvis holds a press conference just before his departure from Germany with over 100 members of the press present. His commanding officer gives him a certificate of merit citing his’ cheerfulness and drive and continually outstanding leadership ability’
March 2
Elvis boards a military transport plane bound for New Jersey with a brief stop over for refueling in Prestwick Scotland. Priscilla is at the airport to wave Elvis off and Life magazine covers the event with the headline ‘The girl he left behind’.
March 3
Elvis arrives at Fort Dix New Jersey, in the midst of a snowstorm. After processing a press conference is held then a welcome home party with guests including Nancy Sinatra, the Colonel and various RCA representatives.
March 5
Elvis is released from the army at 9:15 am and makes plans to travel back home to Memphis by railroad.
March 7
The train arrives at Memphis once again in the middle of a snowstorm. His friend Police Captain Fred Woodward drives Elvis back to Graceland in his squad car.
During the afternoon Elvis holds a press conference in the office at the back of Graceland. Anita Wood joins Elvis in the evening.
March 8
Elvis visits his mother’s grave to see for the first time the marker and stone angels that have been
placed at her grave. From now until her body is moved to Graceland after Elvis’ death there is a standing order for fresh flowers to be placed at her grave once a week.
March 20
Elvis takes a chartered bus out to Nashville for his first recording session in 2 years. He is joined by Scotty and D.J but not Bill Black who never plays with Elvis again. Once there they are joined by all the same musicians from the June ’58 session who in order to keep the session top secret have been told that they are working with Jim Reeves.
They begin at 8 pm and finish at 7 the next morning. Stuck On You /Fame And Fortune are selected for the first single release.
March 21
Elvis and his entourage board a train bound for Miami to tape the Frank Sinatra show.
March 23
RCA’s Indianapolis pressing plant has been working overtime in order to have the new single ready for shipment.
March 26
The Sinatra show is taped at 6:15 pm and due to air on May 12.Elvis performs both sides of his new single as well as a duet with the host on Elvis’s song Love Me Tender and Frank’s song Witchcraft.
The new single goes on to the No 1 spot on Billboards chart within weeks of it’s release.
April 3
Elvis is once again on his way to Nashville to record more tracks. Working from 7:30 pm to 7:00 am he records songs such as Fever, Are You Lonesome Tonight? (At the express wishes of the Colonel as it’s his wife’s favourite song) and It’s Now or Never.
April 8
Now back in Memphis Elvis decides to go on a shopping spree, he buys a watch for his father and a diamond necklace for Anita (who has now dyed her hair black like Elvis’) both items totaling $4,000.
April 18
Elvis and his ever expanding entourage which now includes new member Sonny West (Red’s cousin) set off by train for California to begin work on Elvis’ new movie.
April 21
Preproduction begins on G.I Blues a Hal Wallis production which will be directed by Norman Taurog and co starring is dancer Juliet Prowse.
April 27
Wearing his full dress army uniform Elvis begins work on the G.I Blues soundtrack at RCA’s studio at 6363 Sunset Boulevard. And makes no attempt to mask his disappointment with the songs.
May2
Principal photography begins on the picture.
May 5
Elvis expresses concerns about the ‘mix’ of his new single Its Now or Never saying it’s not the same as the acetate he took from the session. RCA’s Bill Bullock responds by suggesting the acetate does not produce the same sound as the studio equipment hoping to allay Elvis’ concerns.
May 6
During a phone call to Priscilla (still in Germany) he once again expresses his disappointment with the movies soundtrack but concedes that he is ‘locked into this thing’.
May 12
The Frank Sinatra show airs on the ABC network and attracts 41.5 % of the viewing audience.
Elvis attends a karate demonstration at the Beverly Hills Hotel and is introduced to Hawaiian born karate instructor Ed Parker.
May 28
Elvis and the boys spend the weekend in Vegas where they have all taken to the habit of wearing dark mohair suits and sunglasses, prompting the press to nickname them “The Memphis Mafia”.
June 13
In a magazine interview Colonel Parker is quoted as saying of Elvis’ films “They’ll never win any academy awards. All they are good for is making money”.
June 27
After receiving a test pressing of Its Now or Never the Colonel writes to Bill Bullock telling him in no uncertain terms that the sound is still unsatisfactory and it must be remastered, this delays the planned release date of the single.
June 29
With the film now finished Elvis is released by the studio and he returns to Memphis.
July 3
Vernon marries Dee Stanley in Huntsville Alabama. Elvis does not attend the wedding and instead decides to go boating on McKellar Lake in Memphis.
July 4
Elvis visits his mother’s grave.
During the coming days Elvis spends his days boating at the lake, skating at the Rollerdrome and renting out the Memphis fairgrounds.
July 21
Elvis obtains his first- degree black belt in karate and carries the certificate with him in his wallet until the day he dies.
August 1
Elvis begins work on his new movie for 20th Century Fox. A dramatic western, the name will change from Flaming Lance to Black Star before eventually being released as Flaming Star. Once again he expresses concern about the songs asking for 2 of them not to be released on record.
August 12
Due to his new marriage Vernon signs a quitclaim deed assigning Elvis sole ownership of Graceland.
September 9
Elvis signs a 6 month lease on a house at 525 Perugia Way in Bel Air for $1,400 a month. This is largely due to the fact that Elvis and his friends are causing too many disturbances at the Beverly Wiltshire Hotel.
September 19
Elvis is once again upset at the ‘mix’ RCA have done with his next single Are You Lonesome Tonight? Complaining that his voice is too far upfront he goes so far as to threaten to go back into the studio to re-record the song if they can’t get it right.
October 7
Elvis records the new title song Flaming Star for the movie and with that is released by the studio. The next day he promptly heads for a break in Las Vegas.
November 1
Elvis’ long time friend Police Inspector Paul Woodward dies of a heart attack at 46. He rushes over to St. Joseph’s hospital in Memphis immediately to offer his support to the inspector’s widow.
November 6
Elvis and his entourage fly to L.A to begin work on Wild in the Country for 20th Century Fox. The next 2 days are spent recording the songs for inclusion in the film.
November 9
Principal shooting begins on the film.
November 26
Elvis and friends are once again back in Las Vegas, this time for the weekend.
December 4
After reading an article in a newspaper about the struggle to raise funds for the completion of the memorial to the U.S.S Arizona battleship sunk during the Pearl Harbor attacks Colonel Parker puts into motion plans for Elvis to do a benefit concert in Hawaii. This will also coincide with the filming of Elvis’ next movie Blue Hawaii.
Dec 23
Elvis completes the filming of Wild in the Country and returns to Memphis for the holidays.
December 25
Elvis spends Christmas at Graceland his first there since the death of his mother.

--------------------

+Quote Post
LittleDarlin
post Oct 31 2006, 04:46 PM
Post #13

Down in the Jungle Room

(IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/clap.gif) (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/clap.gif) (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/clap.gif) (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/clap.gif)

Been waiting for the next installment........keep it up Steve (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

+Quote Post
GuitarMan66
post Nov 15 2006, 12:49 PM
Post #14

Down in the Jungle Room

January 4
Filming resumes on Wild in the Country.
January 6
Cast and crew present Elvis with a birthday gift, a plaque saying Happy Birthday King Karate.
January 11
Colonel Parker holds a press conference at the Hawaiian Village Hotel to announce the plans of Elvis doing a charity concert to help raise funds for the U.S.S. Arizona memorial.
January 20
With principal photography completed Elvis is released by the studio.
January 30
Elvis flies back to Memphis.
Around this time Hal Wallis writes to the Colonel expressing his concerns about Elvis’ appearance. Saying he would very much like to see Elvis looking the way he did in G.I Blues, also adding he should have a good overall tan, he then urges the Colonel to talk this over with Elvis.
February 1
Along with Joe Esposito and Anita Wood, Elvis travels down to Tupelo to show them his hometown. In a field behind the birthplace they find the sign declaring the future site of the Elvis Presley ‘Youth Centre” which has fallen down. There are also no signs of any work having been started on this project which Elvis donated $14,000 to from his 1957 Tupelo State Fair performance.
February 4
Junior Smith, Elvis’ cousin dies of alcohol poisoning. Elvis’ friend from Texas Eddie Fadal recalls Elvis just kept saying “It’s all over Junior. It’s all over”
February 6
Having been called back to the studio to reshoot the ending of Wild in the Country (due to audiences reacting badly to Hope Lange’s characters suicide) Elvis misses Junior’s funeral.
February 25
Elvis Presley Day is declared in Memphis. He performs two shows (3.00pm and 8.30 pm) for charity at the Ellis Auditorium. 3,860 people attend the first show and 6,540 attend the second. During a special luncheon at the Hotel Claridge Elvis is presented with a diamond watch from RCA honoring record sales of more than 75 million.
After the evening performance a party is held at Graceland.
March 12
Elvis travels to Nashville for a recording session that will last 11 hours and produce 11 songs including highlights such as ‘I Feel So Bad’.
March14 Bill Bullock of RCA writes to Elvis telling him how pleased he is with the recent recording session and once again brings up the idea of a recording studio being built at Graceland though as before the idea never materializes.
March 20
Elvis reports to Paramount to start work on his next movie Blue Hawaii which will be directed by Norman Taurog and co star Angela Lansbury.
March 21
Recording begins at Radio Recorders from 1.00 till 11.50 pm. In three days fifteen songs will be completed for inclusion in the movie.
March 25
Elvis flies to Hawaii to perform his benefit concert for the U.S.S Arizona memorial fund. The evening’s performance raises $62,000.
March 27
Principal photography begins on Blue Hawaii and will continue for the next three weeks.
April 22
The Colonel writes to new vice president Lyndon Johnson telling him of the charity shows Elvis has recently performed and also stating that both he and Elvis would be available for any future patriotic projects.
May 1
Around this time Colonel Parker’s older brother Ad visits from Holland. Parker is quite courteous to his brother even introducing him to Elvis. However no one picks up on the Colonels Dutch background even though it is common knowledge among Dutch fans. And the matter of his nationality is not raised for another twenty years.
May 23
Principal photography for Blue Hawaii ends.
June 15
Wild in the Country premiers in Memphis though Elvis does not attend.
July 1
Elvis is so late for Red West’s marriage to Elvis’ secretary Pat Boyd that Joe Esposito has to stand in as best man.
July 6
Elvis and his entourage travel to Crystal River Florida where Elvis is due to start filming on his next movie titled Pioneer Go Home which will eventually be changed to Follow That Dream.
August 12
With location shooting finished Elvis flies from Tampa to LA to resume filming.
August 23
Elvis is offered $250,000 for two days’ work as the voice of a speaking and singing cat in an up coming cartoon movie titled Gay Purr-ee. An argument breaks out over contractual obligations and the Colonel eventually turns down the offer.
August 28
Filming of Follow That Dream is completed.
September 1
Much of this month is spent in Vegas taking in the live lounge acts like Fats Domino and Jackie Wilson.
September 26
Hank Snow begins proceeding to sue Colonel Parker for his share of Elvis’ earnings (re: March 2 ’56). Though for some unknown reason the suit quickly disappears.
October 21
Elvis and entourage which now includes new member Marty Lacker and a chimpanzee named Scatter fly out to L.A.
October 23
Elvis reports to United Artists for pre production on his next movie Kid Galahad. Elvis’ character is a boxer and so he begins workouts with former world welterweight champion Mushy Callahan.
October 26
Over the next two days Elvis records the soundtrack for Kid Galahad at radio recorders.
November 4
Principal photography begins
November 21
A snowstorm causes filming to relocate to Hollywood.
November 22
Elvis and entourage move out of the house on Perugia Way and into a new rental around the corner at 10539 Bellagio road.
Blue Hawaii opens nationwide peaking at No2 it will go on to be the 18 highest grossing picture of 1961 and the fourteenth highest of 1962.
December 20
With principal photography for Kid Galahad completed and no particular desire to return home to Graceland due to the fact that Vernon, Dee and her three children are still living there, Elvis flies to Vegas for the holidays.
December 28
Vernon and family move into their new home on Hermitage Drive just around the corner from Graceland.

January 8
Whilst in Vegas Elvis celebrates his 27th birthday at the Sahara Hotel.
January 30
Elvis flies home to Memphis. Over the coming months he spends most of his time in the TV room at Graceland watching prints of many films including God is my Co- Pilot, Las Vegas Shakedown, Riot In Cell Block Eleven and High Noon. He also frequently visits ‘Lanskey Bros’ mens clothes shop on Beale Street. He also pays $10,000 for a Dodge House Car to be used for the trips back and forth to California for movie shoots.
March 26
Elvis and entourage arrive at Paramount in the new Dodge Motor home for pre-production of his next movie Girls! Girls! Girls!
The success of Blue Hawaii the previous year has convinced Hal Wallis that this formula is the way ahead for Elvis’ movie career in that he should be showcased in wholesome all round family entertainment movies.
The soundtrack recordings begin at Radio Recorders for the next three days. With the Colonel promising songwriter Otis Blackwell that his song Return to Sender (not originally recorded for the movie) will make it into the film because he (Col. Parker) says it so well suited to Elvis’ style.
April 7
Elvis arrives in Hawaii for location filming, at the airport he takes a helicopter ride to the Hawaiian Village Hotel where he is mobbed by 8 thousand screaming fans, in a 100 yard dash to the hotel he manages to lose his yachting cap, a diamond ring and jeweled tie clasp.
April 9
During breaks in filming of the movie Elvis practices karate breaking up to forty boards in a session, until Hal Wallis puts a stop to it for fear of Elvis breaking his hand.
May 1
Inspired by a magazine article he has read about the cliff divers of Acapulco Hal Wallis begins to outline the story of Elvis next motion picture. Whilst filming for Girl! Girls! Girls! continues now back at Paramount Studios.
June 1
Colonel Parker expresses concern to Hal Wallis about taking Elvis to Mexico because of a false rumor in 1958 concerning Elvis’ view of Mexican women.
June 8
Principal photography is completed on Girls! Girls Girls!
June 17
After many phone calls with Priscilla’s parents in which Elvis assures them that she will be properly looked after Priscilla arrives from Germany for a two week visit.
June 19
Priscilla who was originally to have stayed with custom car designer George Barris (who had recently renovated the Dodge Mobile home) as per the agreement with her parents moves into the house on Bellagio.
Soon after Elvis decides he wants to show her Vegas so everyone sets off for a twelve day visit, staying at the Sahara.
July 1
Elvis and Priscilla return to LA where she takes a flight back to Germany.
July 12
Using Graceland as collateral Elvis purchases the land directly across the road from his mansion the current site of the Lisa Marie airplane.
August 6
Anita Wood moves out of Graceland to return home to Jackson Tennessee. She tells the Memphis Press- Scimitar that it is clear Elvis is not yet ready to settle down.
August 28
Now back in Hollywood Elvis begins pre-production on It Happened at the World’s Fair his next movie, to be directed once again by Norman Taurog.
August 31
Hollywood designer Sy Devore reports that Elvis’ wardrobe for the movie comes to $9,300 this includes ten suits and fifty five ties but no underwear because “Elvis I discovered, doesn’t wear any”
September 4
Elvis arrives in Seattle staying for approximately 2 weeks of location filming.
September 17
Filming resumes in Hollywood at the MGM studios.
Whilst on set Elvis gives a lengthy and very revealing interview touching on subjects such as his friends and philosophy. He also admits to being hesitant to make any major changes to his career stating “If I can entertain people with things I’m doing well I’d be a fool to tamper with it”. Though at the same time he expresses a desire to explore new directions.
November 9
With filming finished Elvis once again heads for Las Vegas
November 29
Elvis returns to Memphis to hear that a string of planned concerts across America totaling 43 cities in all has fallen through. The Colonel had worked out the tour with RCA as the promoter and guaranteeing Elvis $1 million for his services. However RCA began to have doubts about the project and suggested the tour be scaled down to just eleven dates, the Colonel who had great faith in the whole project declines and the deal falls through.
December 19
Priscilla flies in to New York where she is met by Vernon and Dee, whom accompany her to Memphis. Elvis meets her at his father’s house so he can personally drive her up past the giant nativity scene on the lawn (that is still used today) and up to Graceland.
December 20
After missing her first two days in Memphis due to some sleeping pills Elvis had given her ( by now Elvis himself and many of the Memphis Mafia are regularly taking both uppers and downers)
the rest of the vacation is taken up with Elvis showing her where he grew up, also roller skating , movies and eating out at Chenault’s Drive In.
December 25
Elvis holds a private party for 30 people at Graceland. Priscilla receives a toy poodle from Elvis which she names Honey. And she gives him a wooden cigar box that when opened plays ‘Surrender’ his 1961 hit.
December 31
After a fireworks display at Graceland everyone goes to the Manhattan Club for a private party of over two hundred family, friends and fans.

--------------------

+Quote Post
LittleDarlin
post Nov 15 2006, 02:52 PM
Post #15

Down in the Jungle Room

(IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/clap.gif) (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/clap.gif)

Thanks Steve (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/thumbup.gif)

+Quote Post
stefan
post Nov 15 2006, 03:23 PM
Post #16

Down in the Jungle Room
Group Icon

Thanks for the hard work Steve ... stays an interesting read ! (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/notworthy2.gif)

--------------------

+Quote Post
tcbndixie
post Nov 15 2006, 03:41 PM
Post #17

Down in the Jungle Room

Member No.: 92

Yes...THANKS...Steve for all the hard work and helping to keep
the memory alive!!! Very interesting to read...just can't get
enough!!! (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/rockon.gif)
Attached File(s)
Attached File  112_KEEPING_THE_MEMORY_ALIVE.jpg ( 24.09K ) Number of downloads: 8

--------------------
Friends Because Of Elvis, Marshie/tcbndixie
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
The vision, the myth, the legend...was really just a man...blessed, respected and loved!
Rest in peace sweet friend...rest in peace!
~~~

"...the image is one thing and the human being is another...it's very hard to live up to an image."
Elvis: MSG-NY 1972
~~~
"Long after I'm gone, what I did today will be heard by someone. I just want them to get the best of what I had."
Quote by Elvis Presley
~~~
"...it was like he came along and whispered some dream in everybody's ear, and somehow we all dreamed it."
Quote by Bruce Springsteen about Elvis
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Tupelo is where he was born
Vegas is where he'd perform
The World Stage is where he was known
But Memphis was always his home
Mayor A.C. Wharton/BW 2009

+Quote Post
GuitarMan66
post Nov 16 2006, 10:03 AM
Post #18

Down in the Jungle Room

(IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Thanks guys it makes it all worth while now excuse me while I let my fingers cool off from all the typing (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tigerman
post Nov 19 2006, 05:26 PM
Post #19

Down in the Jungle Room

Member No.: 2

Grate work Steve, very intressting to read. (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/cheers.gif)

--------------------

The outer limit of your potential is determined solely by your own beliefs and your own confidence in what you think is possible

+Quote Post
Guest_Brad_*
post Nov 19 2006, 07:12 PM
Post #20

Guests

Lots and lots of great information Steve...thanks for the posts (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:49 PM
Hosted By: ElviCities