IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topic Start new topic
 Elvis Overtakes Garth Brooks Album Tally In The U.S.A.

Brian Quinn
post Dec 6 2010, 10:58 PM
Post #1

At The Gates Of Graceland

Group: Special Members
Member No.: 22,230

2 New RIAA Awards For Elvis.

It's the 2 Brookville Marketing albums (sold only on television).

'Elvis' - issued in 1973 - 5 x Platinum

'Elvis in Hollywood' - issued in 1976 1 x Platinum

Great news as this puts Elvis ahead of Garth Brooks again as the Biggest Selling Solo Album Artist of All-Time in the U.S.A. Brooks currently has 128 million and Elvis now has 129.5 million. There will soon be more on the way. The RIAA is always a few days late in updating their site in case some of you are wondering why it is not listed yet.

Brian (IMG:style_emoticons/default/up.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Antje
post Dec 7 2010, 06:12 AM
Post #2

Elvis Presley Blvd

Member No.: 22,643

Great to hear, but I like Garth Brooks so if he won I didn't mind a lot.
And 129.5 million, that is a lot.

--------------------
Frankly my dear I don't give a damn

http://members.home.nl/alberdaf/glamouracecollies/

+Quote Post
NightRider
post Dec 7 2010, 07:26 AM
Post #3

Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 1

Excellent news Brian....thanks fir the update (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thanks.gif)

--------------------
TCB Chris

You may think that its the breeze...whistling through the lonely trees..but its only him a flyin' round the bend...
as the day comes to an end.........

+Quote Post
C.C.Rider
post Dec 7 2010, 01:22 PM
Post #4

Down in the Jungle Room
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 66

Cheers for the info Brian. Great news, Elvis where he should be ! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumbup.gif)

--------------------
Regards Shaun

Bruce Springsteen
He was as big as the whole country itself, as big as the whole dream. He just embodied the essence of it and he was in mortal combat with the thing. Nothing will ever take the place of that guy.

+Quote Post
First In Line
post Dec 7 2010, 04:15 PM
Post #5

Down in the Jungle Room

Member No.: 82

Now that's the kind of news I love to hear! Now, let's just see what happens next year between Elvis and MJ fighting it out for the #1 spot in Forbes. I think Elvis has it already. What could MJ's family possibly do to generate money like EPE does? I just don't think his homes could be turned into big site seeing attractions like Graceland. I guess time will tell

--------------------

Matt

+Quote Post
JAN1
post Dec 7 2010, 04:45 PM
Post #6

Listening to Elvis

Member No.: 22,551

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/undecided.gif) I'VE NEVER UNDERSTOOD HOW BROOKS SALES COULD COME ANY WHERE NEAR TO ELVIS! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/LSHIC.gif)

+Quote Post
Brian Quinn
post Dec 7 2010, 05:26 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (JAN1 @ Dec 7 2010, 05:45 PM) *
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/undecided.gif) I'VE NEVER UNDERSTOOD HOW BROOKS SALES COULD COME ANY WHERE NEAR TO ELVIS! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/LSHIC.gif)

Apart from being extremely popular in the U.S.A. he is also a master at manipulating the RIAA accounting rules and sold more than Elvis with only fifteen albums. It must be remembered that Multiple Album releases e.g. two discs or more (if over 100 minutes in length) count for double sales according to the RIAA rules. Brooks took advantage of that with most of his releases and with Box Sets.

Brian

+Quote Post
Antje
post Dec 7 2010, 06:09 PM
Post #8

Elvis Presley Blvd

Member No.: 22,643

Garth Brooks defenitly ain't no Elvis, but I have to admit he is cool.

--------------------
Frankly my dear I don't give a damn

http://members.home.nl/alberdaf/glamouracecollies/

+Quote Post
First In Line
post Dec 7 2010, 06:54 PM
Post #9

Down in the Jungle Room

Member No.: 82

QUOTE (JAN1 @ Dec 7 2010, 01:45 PM) *

I think it's a gimmick to attract attention

--------------------

Matt

+Quote Post
Barbie
post Dec 8 2010, 07:21 AM
Post #10

Welcome to The Kings Court

Group: Members
Member No.: 620

I'm another one who can't figure how Garth beat Elvis................he's a talent I guess but if the figures are correct I'm glad Elvis is ahead of him now!!!!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap.gif) Yes!!! I think the record company has totally made a disaster of tallying up Elvis' sales.............in the long run Elvis has sold a LOT more than he is credited............................

+Quote Post
Brian Quinn
post Dec 8 2010, 06:30 PM
Post #11

Just to give you an example of how the RIAA Rules have 'screwed' Elvis:

Currently, the RIAA certification criteria for albums are:

500,000 units: Gold album.
1,000,000 units: Platinum album.
2,000,000 or more units: Multi-Platinum album.
10,000,000 units: Diamond album.

Multi-disc albums are counted once for each disc within the album if it is over 100 minutes in length. For example, each copy of OutKast's Speakerboxxx/The Love Below (running time of 134:56), and Shania Twain's Up! (145:44), both double albums, were counted twice, meaning each album was certified diamond after 5 million copies were shipped. The 100 minute requirement does not apply to albums released in the vinyl era so double albums such as Pink Floyd's The Wall and The Beatles' White Album are counted double even though their running times are under the minimum.

Two Elvis Albums e.g. 'Aloha From Hawaii' (currently 5XP) and 'Elvis In Concert' (currently 3XP) were originally released in double album format and because they were below the 100 minute rule they were disqualified for 'double sales'.

Apparently, the reason the 'Aloha' and 'Concert' albums do not qualify for 'double' RIAA sales is that when they were released on CD post 1982 they were on 1 CD whereas the Beatles and Pink Floyd Albums were 'always' 2 album and 2 CD packages. Looks as though BMG (yet again) were not taking care of busines at this time.

Brian (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

+Quote Post
NightRider
post Dec 8 2010, 07:00 PM
Post #12

Administrator
Group Icon

Screwed as usual by his record company......well....we didn't really expect anything different did we. It seems to have been that way all of the way through....

I always thought that Sony taking over his catalogue would be a great thing. But it seems that they are just as bad as RCA and BMG....... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

--------------------
TCB Chris

You may think that its the breeze...whistling through the lonely trees..but its only him a flyin' round the bend...

+Quote Post
Brian Quinn
post Dec 8 2010, 10:12 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (NightRider @ Dec 8 2010, 08:00 PM) *
Screwed as usual by his record company......well....we didn't really expect anything different did we. It seems to have been that way all of the way through....

I always thought that Sony taking over his catalogue would be a great thing. But it seems that they are just as bad as RCA and BMG....... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Chris,

Actually, I do believe Sony in the U.S.A. are now trying to rectify matters which occurred before they took over from BMG a couple of years ago. The real damage was done by RCA. Regarding my posting above about 'Aloha From Hawaii' and 'Elvis In Concert' it appears to me that the vinyl sales for both these albums should count as double sales from 1973 to 1982 if following the RIAA rules. Actually, 'Aloha' should now qualify for a Diamond Award. I have e-mailed EPE with a request to contact Sony and see if they can sort this matter out with the RIAA.

Brian

+Quote Post
NightRider
post Dec 8 2010, 10:14 PM
Post #14

Administrator
Group Icon

QUOTE (Brian Quinn @ Dec 8 2010, 10:12 PM) *
Chris,

Actually, I do believe Sony in the U.S.A. are now trying to rectify matters which occurred before they took over from BMG a couple of years ago. The real damage was done by RCA. Regarding my posting above about 'Aloha From Hawaii' and 'Elvis In Concert' it appears to me that the vinyl sales for both these albums should count as double sales from 1973 to 1982 if following the RIAA rules. Actually, 'Aloha' should now qualify for a Diamond Award. I have e-mailed EPE with a request to contact Sony and see if they can sort this matter out with the RIAA.

Brian

Then that is a step in the right direction Brian. I really thought that Sony would represent Elvis so much better than BMG and especially RCA ever did. Maybe this is the start....hope so.

Thanks for the info...appreciate your posts mate (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thanks.gif)

--------------------
TCB Chris

+Quote Post
Brian Quinn
post Dec 8 2010, 11:53 PM
Post #15

Talking of Certifications. According to this week's Billboard Magazine, the 'Christmas Duets' album is No.191 on the Top 200 Album Chart with 5000 sales. This makes a total of 431,000 copies sold overall. Just 69,000 copies to go for GOLD.

Brian (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumbup.gif)

+Quote Post
garydt
post Dec 9 2010, 01:15 PM
Post #16

Group: Picture Members
Member No.: 6,781

QUOTE (Brian Quinn @ Dec 6 2010, 10:58 PM) *
2 New RIAA Awards For Elvis.

It's the 2 Brookville Marketing albums (sold only on television).

'Elvis' - issued in 1973 - 5 x Platinum

'Elvis in Hollywood' - issued in 1976 1 x Platinum

Great news as this puts Elvis ahead of Garth Brooks again as the Biggest Selling Solo Album Artist of All-Time in the U.S.A. Brooks currently has 128 million and Elvis now has 129.5 million. There will soon be more on the way. The RIAA is always a few days late in updating their site in case some of you are wondering why it is not listed yet.

Brian (IMG:style_emoticons/default/up.gif)

Great news Brian. How do you know there will be more sales awards soon? Will these be from record club sales or more from records sold only on tv? Would be great if Elvis could catch up with the Beatles...

+Quote Post
Tigerman
post Dec 9 2010, 01:21 PM
Post #17

Down in the Jungle Room

Member No.: 2

QUOTE (Brian Quinn @ Dec 9 2010, 12:53 AM) *
Talking of Certifications. According to this week's Billboard Magazine, the 'Christmas Duets' album is No.190 on the Top 200 Album Chart with 5000 sales. This makes a total of 431,000 copies sold overall. Just 69,000 copies to go for GOLD.

Brian (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumbup.gif)

I havent got that one yet, so once I buy the album all we need is 68.999. ;)

Seriously I don't understand the album taly at all. While the worlds population has probably been trippled since 1977, I don't see how Brooks could possibly ever by pass Elvis... Didn't he have like two or three hits? "Friends in low places","Tomorrow never comes" and "The Dance"? That's all I have ever heard from him. But I could be wrong ofcourse.

--------------------

The outer limit of your potential is determined solely by your own beliefs and your own confidence in what you think is possible

+Quote Post
Brian Quinn
post Dec 9 2010, 01:43 PM
Post #18

QUOTE (Tigerman @ Dec 9 2010, 02:21 PM) *
I havent got that one yet, so once I buy the album all we need is 68.999. ;)

Seriously I don't understand the album taly at all. While the worlds population has probably been trippled since 1977, I don't see how Brooks could possibly ever by pass Elvis... Didn't he have like two or three hits? "Friends in low places","Tomorrow never comes" and "The Dance"? That's all I have ever heard from him. But I could be wrong ofcourse.

Tigerman,

Brooks has six RIAA certified Diamond Awards in the U.S.A. for sales of over 10 million copies each. Elvis has none so far.

Brian

+Quote Post
Tigerman
post Dec 9 2010, 07:58 PM
Post #19

Down in the Jungle Room

Member No.: 2

But.. But.. He sucks!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/LSHIC.gif)

--------------------

The outer limit of your potential is determined solely by your own beliefs and your own confidence in what you think is possible

+Quote Post
elvisfan62
post Dec 12 2010, 08:04 AM
Post #20

Group: Picture Members
Member No.: 21,947

I DON'T KNOW ANYONE WHO LIKES GARTH BROOKS BUT I KNOW PLENTY OF PEOPLE WHO LIKE ELVIS, STRANGE.

+Quote Post
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th October 2024 - 12:36 PM
Hosted By: ElviCities