Reply to this topic Start new topic
 The Memphis Mafia

GuitarMan66
post May 22 2006, 10:38 PM
Post #21

Down in the Jungle Room

Group: Special Members
Member No.: 9

I'm not exactly a fan myself of the Memphis Mafia but at the same time I can see there point of view in a lot of arguments that surround them.As far as the firing of Red, Sonny and Dave Hebler I think they were very poorly treated.Not so much Hebler as he had no real history with Elvis unlike Red and Sonny who went back to the very start especially in Red's case.Elvis couldn't bring himself to fire them so he had his father do it!!!
Vernon would probably have taken great pleasure in this as he didn't like the whole scene himself and they were sent packing with a month's wage after nearly 20 years, as Red said himself 'even chinese flunkies get better treatment' and quite frankly I agree.
As for Charlie (god rest his soul) wasn't it he when finding out a member of the Mafia (i forget who) had left turned round and said to the other guys' great that's all the more gravy for the rest of us'. When Elvis found out about this he was said to be deeply hurt by Charlie's remarks.
They tried to help Elvis cure his addiction by getting Priscilla and Elvis doctor and lawyer (i think) to try and sit and talk with him about it but it was all in vain Elvis knew too many people outside of the circle who were more than willing to help him for all the wrong reasons. Try being in their position you have been invited to hang out with the world famous Elvis Presley you will also go to exotic film locations, meet other famous celebs, have women falling over you to get to Elvis and on top of this you also get paid for doing it. All you have to do is be at Elvis' beck and call 24/7. Guys would you be tempted???Would you be drawn in??
OK you might argue that they still weren't true friends that they never stood up to Elvis or tried to help him get off drugs, but some of them were just as addicted as Elvis!! And what if they had stood up to Elvis for whatever reason and they were sacked. Then what would you do if it was you get a normal 9-5 somewhere,work shifts in a factory maybe, what a hell of a come down. Then out of the blue you get a call from one of the guys asking if you want to come back and work for Elvis, again what would you do??

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
songs4u
post May 23 2006, 02:51 AM
Post #22

Listening to Elvis

Member No.: 417

....As for Charlie (god rest his soul) wasn't it he when finding out a member of the Mafia (i forget who) had left turned round and said to the other guys' great that's all the more gravy for the rest of us....

I've never heard about this before.
Charlie Hodge was the only one I ever saw at Graceland, that I know of.
I always thought that he was supposed to have been one of the really dedicated ones to Elvis. That surprises me that he would say that.

There's one certain guy that was in the Memphis Mafia that I've seen on talk shows and the way he acts makes me not like him at all.

--------------------
.....................................Gayle......................................

"When songs made us start to wiggle our hips.
It came from a combination of R & B and Soul.
It was the beginning of a new music.
They called it "Rock 'n Roll."
..................by TGM

+Quote Post
Guest_Brad_*
post May 23 2006, 05:42 AM
Post #23

Guests

I agree Pacer..to me they were in a bad position. They would try to talk to Elvis about the drug addiction he had but they could only go so far because if you pushed him you were out, then they couldn't help him, you could only hope that he would get better. I have heard a story that someone was getting some pills to Elvis, some heavy stuff, and Red found out and went and broke the guys toe I think and told him to stay away from Elvis. Then Elvis heard about it and Red, Joe, and someothers sat down and told Elvis what happened and Elvis looked at them and said " I need em' man, I need em' ". I heard this story on The Last Days Of Elvis, and it was very sad to hear.

+Quote Post
Eve
post May 23 2006, 10:41 AM
Post #24

Down in the Jungle Room

Member No.: 26

QUOTE (songs4u @ May 20 2006, 11:53 PM) *
Why is it do you think the Presleys (Priscilla and Lisa) only associate with Jerry Schilling and Joe Esposito out of the whole bunch? Do you think - they think - those guys were the only loyal ones? When I think back on the movie "Elvis and Me" , if I'm remembering correctly, it seems those two guys were about the only ones pointed out in her story. I don't recall any of the other members of the Mafia being specifically talked about in that movie.

I rented a video from the library that I had never seen anywhere else that was an interview with some of the members. It's nothing recent. I think it's called "All the King's Men". Do some of you know which one I'm talking about?

(IMG:http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/2637/allthekingsmenvol12vs9su.jpg)

(IMG:http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/6134/allthekingsmenvol34vs4rt.jpg)

(IMG:http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/5258/allthekingsmenvol56vs7jb.jpg)

That's what I have.

--------------------
<span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'> IF I CAN DREAM</span></span>

+Quote Post
elvisgyrl
post May 23 2006, 02:10 PM
Post #25

Aboard N880EP

Member No.: 459

Thank you for posting the pix of those 6 tapes of All the Kings Men.
Sad to say that I have not seen even one of them but I sure will
be looking for them. Is there any one... that is the best to start with??

Thanks for sharing..

--------------------
"THE IMAGE IS ONE THING, AND THE HUMAN BEING IS ANOTHER. IT'S VERY HARD TO LIVE
UP TO THE IMAGE" (E.P.) ELVISGYRL

+Quote Post
elvisfan57
post May 23 2006, 09:16 PM
Post #26

Platinum Member

Member No.: 25

thank's for posting the pictures of the 6 volumes. i have seen volume 4 and hopefully will see the rest one day. i think this is a great series and highly recomend this set to anyone. [img]style_emoticons/default/cheers.gif[/img]

+Quote Post
songs4u
post May 23 2006, 10:14 PM
Post #27

Listening to Elvis

Member No.: 417

Thanks Eve for the post.

I had no idea there were that many volumes.

I have seen at least one of those maybe, two.

--------------------
.....................................Gayle......................................

"When songs made us start to wiggle our hips.
It came from a combination of R & B and Soul.
It was the beginning of a new music.
They called it "Rock 'n Roll."
..................by TGM

+Quote Post
2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:04 AM
Hosted By: ElviCities