Discovering Elvis

NightRider
post Jan 2 2006, 10:52 AM
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 1

This has been asked on many occasions on many forums...so why not ask again. If you can remember...which i can [img]style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif[/img]

I was always a music fan, from a youngster. Which i find very suprising considering the music that my Dad used to play. Classical and Country were ( and still are ) his passions as far as music went. Let me just say that neither inspired me that much.

The first Band i ever liked was Queen. They were the first 'music' that i ever bought. The single 'Sheer Heart Attack' and 'Spread Your Wings'. The latter still remains one of my all time favourite tracks by anyone.

In the summer of 1976 we had an uncle come and stay with us. I was a mere youngster at the time and i guess i looked up to him as he came across as pretty cool to my young eyes. Sam was really into music. Brought a couple of hundred tapes and around forty albums. He moved to the Midlands from Yorkshire and stayed with us until he got himself sorted.

He took to playing his tapes and LP's when my Dad was out...and i often sat and listened to the music with him. A very varied playlist....most of which i can't remember...except The Beatles ( which i had heard of ) and some guy called simply 'Elvis'.

The album he played one particular day was Elvis' Golden Records Vol 2. It was the late 60's re-issue. As soon as i heard it .. i was impressed. A big Hunk O' Love had me excited as hell. The whole album sounded so damn cool that i was an Elvis fan within minutes of him playing tha songs.

I then went into asking him all about Elvis. He wasn't a big fan...but thought Elvis was pretty cool. Luckily he had a few Tapes and singles. Even a tape of the LP he had just played and i was over the moon when he said that i could keep the tape.

I spend weeks playing that tape over and over. So much so , that i drove my parents nuts.

The next time Sam had his music on, i asked him what else he had. He played a few singles first ' In the Ghetto' and 'The Wonder Of You'.

(IMG:http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y36/NightRiderDesigns/0b89f79c.jpg)

They were so different from the other material he had played. And yet, still so damn cool at the same time.

It is safe to say that i was from that day a fan. I have never looked back. Spending every available penny on Elvis records. Elvis LP's were not that easy to find. The local music store had about 6 albums as i recall. I just picked the one with the coolest looking cover.

'From Elvis In Memphis' was the album that i came home with. I don't think i could have picked a better a better album had i known what was out there. This still remains probably my favourite Elvis studio album.

I still have that same copy. Its long since been stored in my loft....along with around 20 other LP's. Thats all that remains of my Vinyl Collection. The rest i sold when i started to cahnge over to CD's.

Every month i would go to the same store with my saved pocket money...and pick an Elvis album up.

As time passed. I used to get my Dad to drive me to Worcester - to bigger stores where they had more of a selection. And slowly but surely my collection started to build.

I am not sure how many albums i had when the very hard decision was reached to sell them. Something i had to do, if my CD collection was ever going to take off. A decision i regret a little now, but on the other hand, i would not have the Cd's that i do have , had i kept the Vinyl.

So, to finish, i would like to thank Sam. I haven't seen him for many years. But its down to him. Without his music i may never have discovered the greatest entertainer the world had ever seen.

Thanks Sam B)

--------------------
TCB Chris

You may think that its the breeze...whistling through the lonely trees..but its only him a flyin' round the bend...
as the day comes to an end.........

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bazza
post Feb 14 2006, 12:50 AM
Post #2

Platinum Member
Group Icon

Group: VIP
Member No.: 314

Elvis first came to my attention when he passed away. I had head of him before that tragic day in August 1977, but was too young yet to be interested in records & music. After his death, there was a re-awakening of his popularity and my family fell right in line. My parents bought me a few LPs, Double Dynamite, Moody Blue, Frankie & Johnny (Camden) and Burning Love & Hits From His Movies. My grandparents gave me the America/My Way single for Christmas 1977.

That was my first real experience with Elvis' music. I became a real die-hard fan after my parents divorced in 1978 and I went to live with my grandparents. My grandmother was a bit of a fan and had the Aloha From Hawaii double LP. That LP did it for me, I was hooked!!!

Similar to Chris, from then on I would save my allowance and lawn mowing money for Elvis records, many of which I still have.....Most of them show their age and clearly were well played in their day.

So, I really have to thank my grandmother and her Aloha From Hawaii LP for "pointing me in the right direction."

I Love You Gram!!!!!

This post has been edited by BJBAmerica: Feb 14 2006, 03:44 AM

--------------------

"Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem"
-Ronald Reagan (Jan. 20, 1981)

+Quote Post
Guest_The Batman_*
post Feb 14 2006, 01:04 AM
Post #3

Guests

It all started for me when I used to go to the local youth clubs with the lads I used to knock around with, listening to groups like Showaddywaddy, The Rubbets and so a like, I supose I was a young teddy boy after travelning with my mum and dad to a shop in Blackpool where they bought me for a joint Xmas and Birthday present the full rig out, drape and crape in black and electric blue, My mum and Dad took over a local working mans club as Steward and stewrdess and that was great as they used to have all the great groups on so Rock and Roll was truly in me by then, and as my friends slowly drifted away from this type of music most of them when they had finaly desided what music they liked where Punk rockers but I carried on with the only music I liked to listen to. Like most others I bought what ever I could earning money at any chance I could as a boy I worked 3 jobs to earn as much money as I could for Elvis collection which I still have to this day even though they never get played

+Quote Post
Scatter
post Feb 14 2006, 07:45 AM
Post #4

At The Gates Of Graceland

Group: Special Members
Member No.: 371

Well, I started my lifelong mania in 1970.

I was around 5 when my uncle Robert, who had a lot of problems, died in his early twenties.

I inherited his comic book and record collection........which included the single "Can't Help Falling In Love/ RockaHula Baby.

I was hooked from the minute I spun that 45.........I even love RockaHula Baby to this day (that's something you never hear very much [img]style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif[/img] ).

I began scouring the local stores for Elvis records.......I even began sneaking out for the 5 mile bike ride to the Naugatuck Valley Mall (my mom would have KILLED me for riding those busy roads) so I could get the newest releases. I never bought another record by any other artist until I was in my 30's.

My first album was On Stage, followed closely by TTWII, Burning Love, Separate Ways, Pure Gold.........Ahhhhhh the memories [img]style_emoticons/default/00000407.gif[/img]

When I got to see Aloha........it was forever cemented for me. Elvis nut.

This post has been edited by Scatter: Feb 14 2006, 09:55 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
NightRider
post Feb 16 2006, 10:27 AM
Post #5

Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 1

Some great articles guys...lets have more [img]style_emoticons/default/clap.gif[/img]

--------------------
TCB Chris

You may think that its the breeze...whistling through the lonely trees..but its only him a flyin' round the bend...
as the day comes to an end.........

+Quote Post
First In Line
post May 12 2006, 05:14 AM
Post #6

Down in the Jungle Room

Member No.: 82

It started for me back in either '80 or '81 when I first saw "This Is Elvis" on television. I think this was the first time that movie had ever been aired, not very long after it was released in theatres. After watching that I was a fan. But it didn't turn into an obsession until around '92 when I got my first job and had the money to buy what I wanted to. Then I just went nuts and I still tend to go nuts when I see something I want [img]style_emoticons/default/laughing.gif[/img]

--------------------

Matt

+Quote Post
One Night
post May 23 2006, 11:15 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 8

Well .........think i may have explained this before but hey never mind (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/blush.gif)

As a wee girl i used to watch some of the Elvis films that were on the television........

and yes like many young girls (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) had a crush!!!!!!!

Didnt really listen to any other Elvis music apart from on these films.........

although i admit they were kinda catchy even then (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I can then remember being 10 years old when Elvis died........

as it was the same year that my grandmother also died.

I dont have any other memories of Elvis after that until of course i met Chris (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

He has slowly but surely converted me to Elvis over the last twenty years (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/woot.gif)

he got there in the end bless him (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/woohoo.gif)

(IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

--------------------
Jules

Mrs Nightrider

R.I.P BAZZA BABY!

+Quote Post
Guest_Brad_*
post May 24 2006, 02:06 AM
Post #8

Guests

The first time I remember Elvis coming to my attention was when I first watched Thats The Way It Is Special Edition. I remeber watching and being amazed at how much rythm, class, and great looks this man had, and the control he seemed to have onstage. After that I got two Elvis cds, "The Top Ten Hits'' and I would lay down and listen to the cd's over and over, and ever since then its been nothing but Elvis [img]style_emoticons/default/dance.gif[/img] .

+Quote Post
One Night
post May 24 2006, 09:26 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

Oh ....forgot to say Chris..............

THANKS.......... for introducing me eventually to Elvis + his music [img]style_emoticons/default/wub.gif[/img]

[img]style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif[/img]

--------------------
Jules

Mrs Nightrider

R.I.P BAZZA BABY!

+Quote Post
Bama
post May 30 2006, 03:52 PM
Post #10

Almost In Memphis

Member No.: 11

[img]style_emoticons/default/cheers.gif[/img] Well I discovered Elvis around the age of 7. It was during the summer probably around August 16th I really don't remember. I was a big country fan. I was hooked on Conway Twitty never knew anything about Elvis. Anyway back to the story, I had gone swimming at our local lake here. After I got out and got in the car Mom turned on the radio. The guy played Are You Lonesome Tonight. It was in the middle and it attrcted me. I asked mom who was that She said Elvis. I said I want a cassette of Are You Lonesome Tonight? I found the Camden release Are You Lonesome Tonight? and been hooked ever since.

Bama (Jon) [img]style_emoticons/default/cheers.gif[/img]

--------------------
It's Your Baby You Rock It

+Quote Post
spanish eyes
post Jun 22 2006, 05:51 PM
Post #11

Elvis Presley Blvd

Member No.: 490

I was about 6 years old when I discovered Elvis. I remember hearing Sprach Zarathustra and came running into the room where the TV was because I knew that was the beginning of an Elvis concert. I was completely spell bound by his voice. I thought his moves were funny, I called him rubber man, well I was only 6. [img]style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img]

--------------------
Maria

When your heart gets weary, time to sing a song

+Quote Post
Suspicious Minds
post Jun 29 2006, 09:05 PM
Post #12

Platinum Member

Member No.: 278

I first heard Elvis singing In The Ghetto on the end of Top of The Pops and found out Elvis was at #2 and his album From Elvis In Memphis was #1.
The first single and album I had just before Christmas 1969 was Suspicious Minds and Elvis sings Flaming Star. My favourite album photo is on the Almost In Love budget LP as you see on my avatar. I love Elvis music more than the new so called music.
I also like the old crooners like Perry Como, Johnnie Ray, Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Mario Lanza, Marilyn Monroe and Johnny Cash. My other collection of CD 's include most of the favourite's greatest hits.

[img]style_emoticons/default/taz.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/default/taz.gif[/img]

[img]style_emoticons/default/rockon.gif[/img]

--------------------
Frank

Every man has a Flaming Star

+Quote Post
kissmequick
post Jun 30 2006, 02:51 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 421

Mother said I was dancing to Elvis at 2 years old. I have older siblings that bought his records...thank goodness! She said when I started talking I would try and sing along with his songs...can't imagine now how that sounded!
As soon as my Brother bought the 45's and I heard them, I knew all the words before he did. Elvis was always a part of my life for as long as I can remember. I started collecting magazines, TV Guides, records and anything else I could get my hands on. I too had a "Crush" on Elvis. Wanted to grow up and marry him...didn't all us girls?
I was glued to the TV when he was on it, I was devastated the day he died. I cried for days afterwards.
Elvis is and always has been a part of my life. A very happy part of my life. You can find songs to fit any mood......just tune him in.

--------------------

"The man who can sing when he hasn't got a thing is the King, of the whole wide world."

+Quote Post
One Night
post Sep 8 2006, 09:49 PM
Post #14

Group Icon

Some very nice stories of how we all discovered elvis for the first time. (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/victory.gif)

Lets hear some more stories......guys + girls

(IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

--------------------
Jules

Mrs Nightrider

R.I.P BAZZA BABY!

+Quote Post
Elvis_Priestly
post Mar 29 2007, 09:29 AM
Post #15

Down in the Jungle Room

Member No.: 1,512

I had grown up watching my older sister going through music phases in her early teens and beyond. Many a night I listened through the wall dividing our bedrooms to first Abba, then The Jam, then MOD music and finally The Smiths and all.
I had looked forward to my own development of musical taste but it wasn't for happening. I feigned an interest in Madonna but my main interest remained "light classical". Remember "Hooked on Classics"? And of course Mantovani (make those strings weep!)

Then. It Happened. I asked my dad to video Aloha from Hawaii on the night of August 18th 1987 on BBC1, just to see what this guy about whom there had so recently been so much fuss was like. I remember watching it and thinking "oh he's very good" and progressively getting engaged in what I watched. Then came Suspicious Minds and my "oh" became a "wow!" I watched it again and again and found myself not only smiling but laughing in that way we often do when struck by awe. Next thing I knew I was carrying my cassette recorder down and taping the sound off the television and listening to it.

I was hooked, and for that first month or so this was all I had, a recording of a video of an edited version shown on BBC. I still had no idea Steamroller Blues should have been in there or that An American Trilogy had those two other mind blowing parts for me yet to experience.

For my birthday, the following month, I got some record tokens and went to our local record store. It was run by a girl called "Trina" and when I, with some embarrassment, went to the counter with my Moody Blue album - waiting to be sneered at as uncool - she smiled and said "You like Elvis?" I nodded bashfully and was astonished when she then told me she was one of the backing singers for the then famous Ulster Elvis Impersonator Frank Chisum and had been a life long Elvis fan. That was why her record store had so many Elvis records, rarities among them. For my first couple of years she fostered my interest in Elvis until I moved away to start training as a priest and her store got lost as the big chain stores started to take over.

I've read girls wanted to grow up and marry Elvis, well I wanted to grow up and BE Elvis! "Elvis Priestly" arrived on the scene within a couple of years of me becoming a fan. I remember sitting in my bedroom, with my records playing, a pair of old powder blue pyjamas, christmas decorations and white cloth and making my first jumpsuit. I'd always been into drama etc. and with a set of "Mr T" jewellery I first hit the stage as Elvis to compere our school's Comic Relief day, 5th February 1988. It was great fun, singing, talking and making the girls swoon as I climbed over benches to give out scarves!
I still want to be Elvis. ETA's get knocked a lot and no wonder sometimes, I do it because I love it and love Elvis and I do it because sometimes when I'm in front of a crowd with my eyes closed singing "Bridge Over Troubled Waters" for just a moment I forget who I am and am him, "....sail on silver girl...."

Now after years of collecting, with two jumpsuits hanging in my wardrobe (gifts from a family friend and one of my previous parishes!) it keeps growing in importance to me. And here I am, with you good people, enjoying it on a level I never knew was possible.

For all the years, for all the smiles, for all the times you helped me tocry - Elvis, rest in peace buddy, I know you do.

[If you are inclined to hear more, heres a six minute feature BBC Radio 4's Sunday program did on Elvis and I last year....
Elvis Priestly on BBC Radio]

--------------------
"When I Do the best I can, and my friends misunderstand, stand by me"

+Quote Post
Bazza
post Mar 29 2007, 12:56 PM
Post #16

Platinum Member
Group Icon

Can't seem to open the link, Father......

--------------------

+Quote Post
Elvis_Priestly
post Mar 29 2007, 02:46 PM
Post #17

Down in the Jungle Room

Member No.: 1,512

QUOTE (BJBAmerica @ Mar 29 2007, 01:56 PM)
Can't seem to open the link, Father......

Sorry Barry, that link is temperamental, I've updated it on the post itself (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

--------------------
"When I Do the best I can, and my friends misunderstand, stand by me"

+Quote Post
LittleDarlin
post Mar 29 2007, 03:08 PM
Post #18

Down in the Jungle Room

Member No.: 419

Father Conor

You are one COOL Dude....

God Love Ya (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

Incredible Story (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
GuitarMan66
post Apr 5 2007, 07:27 PM
Post #19

Down in the Jungle Room

Member No.: 9

Thats a great story Conor and you do a great impersonation mate (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bazza
post Apr 5 2007, 08:04 PM
Post #20

Platinum Member
Group Icon

That was just GREAT to listen to, Father......Thanks for posting it!!!

God Bless,

Barry-

--------------------

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:50 AM
Hosted By: ElviCities