IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

1956 + HOUND DOG ~Song in the Spotlight..Record~Sessions/Wertheimer-EyeWitness Memories/TV/+1st time Live!, 1957 Live! concert H.D. end of shows....

REX
post Oct 27 2010, 08:02 PM
Post #1

Platinum Member

Group: Special Members
Member No.: 21,960

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
REX
post Oct 27 2010, 08:03 PM
Post #2

Platinum Member

HOUND DOG Pictures from 28th March 1957 just before his "Chicago Show"

--------------------

+Quote Post
REX
post Oct 27 2010, 08:04 PM
Post #3

Platinum Member

(IMG:http://www.elvis-tkc.com/forums/uploads/1288204371/gallery_21960_16_22139.jpg)

"Hound Dog" is a twelve-bar blues written by Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller and originally recorded by Willie Mae "Big Mama" Thornton in 1952.

Other early versions illustrate the differences among blues, country, and rock and roll in the mid 1950s.

The 1956 remake by Elvis Presley is the best-known version; it is his version that is #19 on Rolling Stone's list of The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.

"Hound Dog" was also recorded by 5 country singers in 1953 alone, and over 26 times through 1964.

--------------------

+Quote Post
REX
post Oct 27 2010, 08:04 PM
Post #4

Platinum Member

Big Mama Thornton version

The blues singer Big Mama Thornton's biggest hit was Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller's "Hound Dog," which she recorded at Radio Recorders in Los Angeles on August 13, 1952.

Thornton’s "Hound Dog" was the first record Leiber and Stoller produced themselves. They took over the session because their work had sometimes been misrepresented, and on this one they knew how they wanted the drums to sound;

Johnny Otis was supposed to produce it, but they wanted him on drums. Otis received a writing credit on all 6 of the 1953 pressings.

This 1953 Peacock Records release (#1612) was number one on the Billboard rhythm and blues charts for seven weeks.

Thornton gave this account of how the original was created to Ralph Gleason.

“They were just a couple of kids, and they had this song written on the back of a paper bag.” She added a few interjections of her own, played around with the rhythm (some of the choruses have thirteen rather than twelve bars), and had the band bark and howl like hound dogs at the end of the song.

In fact, she interacts constantly in a call and response fashion during a one minute long guitar "solo" by Pete Lewis. Her vocals include lines such as: "Aw, listen to that ole hound dog howl…OOOOoooow," "Now wag your tail," and "Aw, get it, get it, get it."

Thornton's delivery has flexible phrasing making use of micro-inflections and syncopations. Over a steady backbeat, she starts out singing each line as one long upbeat.

When the words change from "You ain't nothin' but a HOUND Dog," she begins to shift the downbeat around:

You TOLD me you was high-class / but I can SEE through that, You ain't NOTHIN' but a hound dog.

Each has a focal accent which is never repeated

--------------------

+Quote Post
REX
post Oct 28 2010, 10:54 AM
Post #5

Platinum Member

HOUND DOG - The SHOW is Born !

Elvis Presley's first, appearance in Las Vegas, as an “extra added attraction,” was in the Venus Room of the New Frontier from April 23 through May 6, 1956.

Freddie Bell and the Bellboys were the hot act in town, and Elvis went to the Sands to take in their show.

Elvis not only enjoyed the show, but also loved their reworking of "Hound Dog" and asked Freddie if he had any objections to him recording his own version.

By May 16 Elvis had added “Hound Dog” to his live performances.

The song was done as comic relief, and Presley based the lyrics, which he sometimes changed, and "gyrations" on what he had seen at the Sands.

The song always got a big reaction and became the standard closer.

..........Continued-------->>>>>>>>>>

--------------------

+Quote Post
C.C.Rider
post Oct 28 2010, 12:41 PM
Post #6

Down in the Jungle Room
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 66

Excellent reading Rex ! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/notworthy.gif)

--------------------
Regards Shaun

Bruce Springsteen
He was as big as the whole country itself, as big as the whole dream. He just embodied the essence of it and he was in mortal combat with the thing. Nothing will ever take the place of that guy.

+Quote Post
Antje
post Oct 28 2010, 06:29 PM
Post #7

Elvis Presley Blvd

Member No.: 22,643

Again great reading Rex, I also very much like the Big Mama Thornton version, It sound very different indeed, but also very cool

--------------------
Frankly my dear I don't give a damn

http://members.home.nl/alberdaf/glamouracecollies/

+Quote Post
REX
post Oct 29 2010, 10:14 AM
Post #8

Platinum Member

QUOTE (Antje @ Oct 28 2010, 07:29 PM) *
Again great reading Rex, I also very much like the Big Mama Thornton version, It sound very different indeed, but also very cool

Thankyou ANTJE and SHAUN... Wouldn't have started this without all these Waggy Tail "HOUND DOGS"

--------

(IMG:http://www.elvis-tkc.com/forums/uploads/1288204371/gallery_21960_16_23444.jpg)

Drummer D.J. Fontana put it this way: "We took that from a band we saw in Vegas, Freddie Bell and the Bellboys.

They were doing the song kinda like that. We went out there every night to watch them. He'd say: 'Let's go watch that band. It's a good band!' That's where he heard 'Hound Dog,' and shortly thereafter he said: 'Let's try that song.'"

Presley first performed "Hound Dog" to a nationwide television audience on The Milton Berle Show on June 5, 1956, his second appearance with Berle.

By this time Scotty Moore had added a guitar solo, and D.J. Fontana had added a hot drum roll between verses of the song.

ELVIS appeared for the first time on national television sans guitar.

Before his death, Berle told an interviewer that he had told Elvis to leave his guitar backstage. "Let 'em see you, son," advised Uncle Miltie

--------------------

+Quote Post
REX
post Oct 29 2010, 12:36 PM
Post #9

Platinum Member

An upbeat version ended abruptly as Presley threw his arm back, then began to vamp at half tempo, "You ain't-a nuthin' but a hound dog, cuh-crying all the time. You ain't never caught a rabbit…"

A final wave signaled the band to stop. Elvis pointed threateningly at the audience, and belted out, "You ain't no friend of mine."

Presley's movements during the performance were energetic and exaggerated.

The reactions of young women in the studio audience were enthusiastic, as shown on the broadcast.

Over 40,000,000 people saw the performance and the next day controversy exploded.

Berle's network received many letters of protest. The various self appointed guardians of public morality attacked Elvis in the press.

TV critics began a merciless campaign against Elvis, making statements that he had a "caterwauling voice and nonsense lyrics" and was an "influence on juvenile delinquency," and began using the nickname, "Elvis the Pelvis."

--------------------

+Quote Post
colonel snow
post Oct 29 2010, 02:18 PM
Post #10

Platinum Member

Member No.: 482

Great info and some new pictures to me; here some additional info:

Hound dog was performed for the first time live on 15-05-56 in Memphis and became the closing song in concert during 1956/1957.
On the Peacock label the name Leiber is misspelled as Lieber. Otis was mentioned as co-writer but after the suit his name was not mentioned any longer.

Here a scan for the version by Freddie Bell on Teen records (Teen 101) as recorded in 1955.

colonel snow
Attached File(s)
Attached File  hound_dog_8.jpg ( 14.14K ) Number of downloads: 0

--------------------

+Quote Post
REX
post Oct 29 2010, 08:09 PM
Post #11

Platinum Member

QUOTE (colonel snow @ Oct 29 2010, 03:18 PM) *
Great info and some new pictures to me; here some additional info:

Hound dog was performed for the first time live on 15-05-56 in Memphis and became the closing song in concert during 1956/1957. On the Peacock label the name Leiber is misspelled as Lieber. Otis was mentioned as co-writer but after the suit his name was not mentioned any longer.
Here a scan for the version by Freddie Bell on Teen records (Teen 101) as recorded in 1955. colonel snow

Thats Great... thanks for the info "Colonel Snow"

Elvis next appeared on national television singing "Hound Dog" on the July 1 Steve Allen Show.

Steve Allen wrote:
"When I booked Elvis, I naturally had no interest in just presenting him vaudeville-style and letting him do his spot as he might in concert.

Instead we worked him into the comedy fabric of our program

We certainly didn't inhibit Elvis' then-notorious pelvic gyrations, but I think the fact that he had on formal evening attire made him, purely on his own, slightly alter his presentation."

--------------------

+Quote Post
REX
post Oct 29 2010, 08:17 PM
Post #12

Platinum Member

As Allen was notoriously contemptuous of rock 'n' roll music and songs such as "Hound Dog," he smirkingly presented Elvis "with a roll that looks exactly like a large roll of toilet paper with, says Allen, the 'signatures of eight thousand fans,'"

The singer had to wear a tuxedo while singing an abbreviated version of Hound Dog to an actual top hat-wearing basset hound.

Although by most accounts ELVIS.. was a good sport about it, according to Scotty Moore, the next morning they were all angry about their treatment the previous night.

--------------------

+Quote Post
REX
post Oct 29 2010, 08:19 PM
Post #13

Platinum Member

The STEVE ALLEN SHOW, happened at the "Hudson Theater" New York City at 8.00pm

Elvis opened with I WANT YOU, I NEED YOU, I LOVE YOU... then appears a 2nd time in the Tuxedo to sing his yet to be recorded HOUND DOG, singing it to a Basset HOUND, wearing a Top Hat..

Elvis' TV Pay for 2 songs and a comedy skit was $5,000 dollars.

--------------------

+Quote Post
REX
post Oct 29 2010, 08:20 PM
Post #14

Platinum Member

The morning after the Steve Allen Show performance, the studio version was recorded for RCA Victor by Elvis' regular band of Scotty Moore on lead guitar (with Elvis usually providing rhythm guitar), Bill Black on bass, D.J. Fontana on drums, and backing vocals from the Jordanaires.

Presley recorded this version along with "Don't Be Cruel" and "Any Way You Want Me" on July 2, 1956 at RCA's New York City studio.

The session started at 2.00pm and lasted 7 hours.

The producing credit was given to RCA's Steve Sholes, however the studio recordings reveal that Elvis produced the songs (as well as most of the RCA recording sessions) himself, which is verified by the band members.

Presley insisted on getting the song exactly the way he wanted it, recording 31 takes of the song.

--------------------

+Quote Post
REX
post Oct 29 2010, 09:30 PM
Post #15

Platinum Member

While the Recordings are taking place... Elvis FANS are seen outside holding up "THE REAL ELVIS" Signs, in answer to Steve Allen's taming of Elvis in a Stiff Tuxedo.. so they got to voice a fast protest

Don't Be Cruel "had 28 takes" -(G2WW-5936) was the flip side of the "Hound Dog" single (G2WW-5935) released on July 13, 1956.

Both sides of the record topped the charts independently, A Rare Feat !

The single also topped all three of Billboard charts:

POP ~ COUNTRY & WESTERN ~ and RHYTHM & BLUES, the first record in history to do so.

NOTE: THIS is a long Multi Post Topic, with much about the song thru the years,
and a good few HOUND DOGSsssssssss....

--------------------

+Quote Post
REX
post Oct 30 2010, 07:27 PM
Post #16

Platinum Member

ALFRED WERTHEIMER – Remembers the HOUND DOG Rehearsals

(IMG:http://www.elvis-tkc.com/forums/uploads/1185704239/gallery_4_197_94287.jpg)

Rehearsals for I WANT YOU, I NEED YOU, I LOVE YOU

The public-address called Elvis to the stage.
The musicians and the Jordanaires walked onto a set that could have been designed by Aristotle and Liberace.

In the background, Greek columns in perspective pointed to an urn of overflowing vines.

On the sides, plaster nymphs cradled candelabra and overhead, chandeliers provided the final offering to the classics of western civilization.

At the foot of this temple stood Elvis.

--------------------

+Quote Post
REX
post Oct 30 2010, 09:55 PM
Post #17

Platinum Member

ALFRED WERTHEIMER – Remembers the HOUND DOG Rehearsals Continued....

The voice over the PA announced, "Okay Elvis, any time you're ready." With his arms hanging as loose by his side as the guitar hanging around his neck, Elvis counted the beat with his leg and crooned "I Want You, I Need You, I Love You." He sang without the passion I had seen in Richmond.

He sang like a professional who had his act down pat. He was competent. He didn't move, he didn't touch the microphone, he stood square, both feet spread and stuck to the ground.

After he had finished, the audience of professionals applauded.

Steve patted him on the back and told him it was great. Elvis smiled and in a slow, modest voice, he said, "Thank you, Mr. Alien."

--------------------

+Quote Post
Antje
post Oct 31 2010, 09:11 AM
Post #18

Elvis Presley Blvd

Member No.: 22,643

Indeed this topic is a lot of fun with all the waggy tails, but also is your info

--------------------
Frankly my dear I don't give a damn

http://members.home.nl/alberdaf/glamouracecollies/

+Quote Post
JohanD
post Oct 31 2010, 10:48 AM
Post #19

Down in the Jungle Room
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 19

Great topic Rex!!
Congrats on the details!!

Sidenote: The parodysong "Bearcat"by Rufus Thomas is also an excellent blues classic!!

BEAR CAT
(Sam Phillips)
Rufus Thomas - 1953

You know what you said about me, don't you woman...
Well, you ain't nothin' but a bear cat
Been scratchin' at my door
You ain't nothin' but a bear cat
You can purr pretty kitty
But I ain't gonna rub you no more

You said you was a long-hair
But I can see through that
You said you was a long-hair
But I can see through that
And mama I know
You're just an old bear cat

Ain't nothin' but a bear cat
You been scratchin' at my door

Whoa, rub you!
Whoa, git with it now
Git it, git it, git it, git it!
Oh, listen to that old cat
Meooowwww... scat!
Oh, tip it miss kitty
Tip it honey, tip it!
Hey!
I'm tellin' you honey...

You made me feel so mean
Made me moan and groan
You made me feel so mean
You made me moan and groan
You ain't wantin' no man
You're just lookin' for an old soup bone

You're just an old bear cat

Meow, meow
Meoooww, meoooowwwww!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  B00006JK9T_01__SCLZZZZZZZ_V1116681076_.jpg ( 33.48K ) Number of downloads: 0

--------------------

+Quote Post
REX
post Oct 31 2010, 02:13 PM
Post #20

Platinum Member

QUOTE (Antje @ Oct 31 2010, 09:11 AM) *
Indeed this topic is a lot of fun with all the waggy tails, but also is your info

Thankyou ANTJE.. this is a 3 decade Song Journey.. just wondering if I will run out of 4 legged friends pictures before the end of this Topic (?)

ALFRED WERTHEIMER – Remembers the HOUND DOG Rehearsals Continued....

A stage-hand shoved a platform to the microphone and was followed by a trainer with a female basset hound.

As he dressed her in collar, bow tie and top hat,

Elvis laughed and the audience laughed with him.

The dog's woeful eyes seemed even more disconsolate with the constraints of her formal attire.

--------------------

+Quote Post
6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 01:38 PM
Hosted By: ElviCities