Reply to this topic Start new topic
 Elvis Vinyl Boxed Set Gallery

ElvisCollectorIn...
post Jul 30 2008, 01:08 AM
Post #1

Welcome to The Kings Court

Group: Picture Members
Member No.: 10,877

Hi Everyone. I am quite new to this board and the reason I joined was because I saw part of this forum devoted to Elvis lps. I am am long time collector of Elvis vinyl and even though I have numerous Elvis cds, my passion is collecting vinyl, particularly boxed sets. So I thought a thread showcasing some boxed sets would be fun. There was actually a thread about this but I thought I would start another. I am also new to uploading images to message boards so if my pictures go through I will provide some info about the boxed set pictured. Cheers,

Elvis Collector in Canada
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Picture_008.jpg ( 141.28K ) Number of downloads: 21
Attached File  Picture_009.jpg ( 136.73K ) Number of downloads: 19

--------------------
Elvis Collector In Canada
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ElvisCollectorIn...
post Jul 30 2008, 01:13 AM
Post #2

Hi again. I see the pictures uploaded just fine. Thus, here is some info on this set. This is a set of 5 picture disc 12 inch records released in Italy in approximately 1993. From opened copies of this set that I have owned in the past I can tell you that the five picture discs come in a die cut cardboard sleeve. The sleeve is just like the Italian lp cover for that record but with a die cut. There is also a small square paper insert included inside each die cut cover. This set was limited to between 750 and 1000 copies and could only be purchased through "Raro" magazine, which is an Italian music magazine. That magazine had advertisements of this set inside issues from that time and "Raro" were the exclusive distributors of the set. The sticker on the shrinkwrap on the box has Italian text on it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ElvisCollectorIn...
post Jul 30 2008, 01:26 AM
Post #3

Hi. This is a boxed set titled "Peace in the Valley". What is interesting about this set is that there were two versions of it. One version had the blue sticker on the shrinkwrap advertising the inclusion of the 10" "Ill be Home for Christmas" record. The other version did not have the sticker on the shrinkwrap or the 10" record inside. These are often referred to as the "Deluxe" version and the "Standard" version of this box set and they were reased 6 months apart in 2000.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Picture_20002.jpg ( 135.91K ) Number of downloads: 7
Attached File  Picture_20004.jpg ( 135.93K ) Number of downloads: 5

--------------------

+Quote Post
ElvisCollectorIn...
post Jul 30 2008, 01:28 AM
Post #4

This was the last Candelite Elvis box made in 1984 and only 500 got out before Candelite went bankrupt and closed their doors. There is also a neat 12 page booklet that comes with this box, the cover of which is the same as the box set.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Picture_20014.jpg ( 136.3K ) Number of downloads: 7

--------------------

+Quote Post
ElvisCollectorIn...
post Jul 30 2008, 01:30 AM
Post #5

Hi. Time Life released a couple of vinyl boxed sets of Elvis, the first in September of 1986 and the second in 1989. The 1986 set is the most common of the two; while the second set is more difficult to find. Was it the advent of the CD which led to declining vinyl sales? Was there lower production numbers for the 1989 versus the 1986 set? Regardless of the case, the boxes are must have Elvis sets, not for the music, but for the beautiful artwork.

P.S. I will add to this thread every couple of evenings.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Picture_20007.jpg ( 134.64K ) Number of downloads: 4
Attached File  Picture_20009.jpg ( 141.33K ) Number of downloads: 6

--------------------

+Quote Post
Elvis_Priestly
post Jul 30 2008, 08:43 AM
Post #6

Down in the Jungle Room

Group: Special Members
Member No.: 1,512

Welcome Elvis Collector, interesting box sets there. I like vinyl myself but don't have any real rarities the only one which might qualify is the 64 Film Hits in a movie canister:

Attached File  DSCF0306.JPG ( 38.34K ) Number of downloads: 3

It was a 1985 RCA Germany limited edition, but I don't think it was too limited.

--------------------
"When I Do the best I can, and my friends misunderstand, stand by me"

+Quote Post
Spider Murphy
post Jul 30 2008, 06:25 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 8,740

An interesting topic. It's nice to hear some info. about those box sets. Well done.

+Quote Post
ElvisCollectorIn...
post Jul 31 2008, 12:03 AM
Post #8

That 64 Film Hits tin canister is a neat set. Its tough to find those without corrosion to the tin. Whoever came up with the idea for that set is pretty clever as its kind of like an intersection of film reels and the vinyl lp, very very cool.

Anyways, I will be posting a few more boxes and stories this evening. Enjoy,

--------------------

+Quote Post
ElvisCollectorIn...
post Jul 31 2008, 12:07 AM
Post #9

The boxed set showcased in this posting is called "His Best Years 1954-1960: CompleteWorks". This set was released by the European Economic Community in 1987 and its a 12 lp box. A problem with this box is when you shake the box around, the records shift around inside. This is because, and I know this from opened copies I have seen, the records are not in paper sleeves. Rather, they are in flimsy plastc sleeves. As a result, the records shift around inside and often this seam splits the box. I really love the cover of this box because of the color of the text matches the colors used in the picture and I also like the use of vibrant colors.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Picture_20001.jpg ( 134.34K ) Number of downloads: 5

--------------------

+Quote Post
ElvisCollectorIn...
post Jul 31 2008, 12:09 AM
Post #10

Elvis "The Legend" is a 10lp boxed set released in 1983 in Germany. What's not to love about the cover of this box? The picture of Elvis in a powder blue jumpsuit from the spring of 1972 is a unique picture which I don't see often.

Elvis collector in Canada
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Picture_20010.jpg ( 149.32K ) Number of downloads: 6

--------------------

+Quote Post
ElvisCollectorIn...
post Jul 31 2008, 12:12 AM
Post #11

In 1979 Candelite records released a boxed set titled: "The Legendary Recordings of Elvis". There were two versions of the box, one was a deluxe version and the other was a standard version. The deluxe version was 7lps in size, burgandy in color and was made to look like a book with protruding corners among other things. Then there was a standard version with 6lps, 1 lp less than the deluxe version. The box color on the standard version is black and was a slipcase style like the "Memories of Elvis" and "Elvis Presley Story" boxes released in 1978 and 1977 respectively. Here is a picture of the standard version of "The Legendary Recordings of Elvis".

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Picture_20011.jpg ( 150.95K ) Number of downloads: 8

--------------------

+Quote Post
ElvisCollectorIn...
post Jul 31 2008, 12:15 AM
Post #12

I am sure you are all familiar with an 8lp box released by RCA in 1980 titled "Elvis Aron Presley". A not so common version of this box is the "reviewer series" version released to industry executives before the commercial release of the box to the Elvis hungry public. The only variation between the two editions is the text on a little circular sticker on the backside of the box.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Picture_20012.jpg ( 129.73K ) Number of downloads: 5
Attached File  Picture_20013.jpg ( 122.74K ) Number of downloads: 5
Attached File  Picture_20014.jpg ( 77.79K ) Number of downloads: 5

--------------------

+Quote Post
ElvisCollectorIn...
post Jul 31 2008, 12:18 AM
Post #13

This is a box titled "Elvis The King of Rock 'n' Roll Volume 1" and this was a release of Denamrk sometime im the 80's (I believe). I don't have as much information on this set as I would like but I do know that its the first of three volumes. Each volume, including this one, has 3 lps.

Enjoy the pictures and infomration everyone, I will post more soon.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Picture_20005.jpg ( 135.11K ) Number of downloads: 5

--------------------

+Quote Post
ElvisCollectorIn...
post Jul 31 2008, 12:25 AM
Post #14

Another insertion into this thread is of the box "Artist of the Century". Did you know that there are four versions of this vinyl lp box? The most common is the black vinyl version, widely avaliable in North America upon its release in 1999. In that same year, three other versions of the box were released. There was a picture disc version and these were numbered. I have seen numbers over 3000 so they can be found. However, it gets much more difficult to find the red vinyl versions. I have no idea how many of the red versions were released but they were numbered also. The most difficult of all four is the blue vinyl version pictured below. There were 500 copies of this box made and every box comes with a sticker and number out of 500. I bought my set from a dealer in the U.K. who told me they used to bring blue vinyl copies to record concentions in the U.S. (because blue vinyl was plentiful in the U.K.) and trade for red vinyl copies (which were more plentiful in the U.S.) and bring them back to the U.K. I paid a good price for my blue copy from that dealer but I did get torched on shipping. Oh well, its worth it for the king.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Picture_014.jpg ( 160.01K ) Number of downloads: 7

--------------------

+Quote Post
Elvis_Priestly
post Jul 31 2008, 08:40 AM
Post #15

Down in the Jungle Room

Group: Special Members
Member No.: 1,512

Its great seeing this individually, I bet they look good lined up on your shelf - any chance you could show us a pic of all your box sets as you display them?

--------------------
"When I Do the best I can, and my friends misunderstand, stand by me"

+Quote Post
C.C.Rider
post Jul 31 2008, 12:20 PM
Post #16

Down in the Jungle Room
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 66

Cool thread and great to see some of these. Thanks !! (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/notworthy.gif)

--------------------
Regards Shaun

Bruce Springsteen
He was as big as the whole country itself, as big as the whole dream. He just embodied the essence of it and he was in mortal combat with the thing. Nothing will ever take the place of that guy.

+Quote Post
NightRider
post Jul 31 2008, 06:47 PM
Post #17

Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 1

A few new ones to my eyes....look forward to seeing more (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/thumbup.gif)

--------------------
TCB Chris

You may think that its the breeze...whistling through the lonely trees..but its only him a flyin' round the bend...
as the day comes to an end.........

+Quote Post
ElvisCollectorIn...
post Aug 1 2008, 02:54 AM
Post #18

Hi. I am glad some of you are enjoying the pictures and information, I have a lot to share so there will be more to come. With regards to the request for a picture of my vinyl layout that might be something I will share at some poiint, thanks for asking and have a great evening everyone.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_curtis simpkins_*
post Aug 1 2008, 04:53 AM
Post #19

Guests

I have a few box set's also and some if them where new at the time, but some of these i have where bought when i was a kid and i didnt take good care of them i have all of the Candelite records released

even the "The Legendary Recordings of Elvis". the one i have is The deluxe version was 7lps in size, burgandy in color and was made to look like a book with protruding corners among other things. but sad to say the box its in real bad shape but the lps is in great shape.

i also have these others has well "Memories of Elvis" and "Elvis Presley Story" the other two i just got these 3 years ago my old ones where in bad shape.

these where and still my favorite lps all time.

my good friend who passed away last year has the "Artist of the Century box set and he his the picture disc version and has i know he never open his box set.

his son his the lps and his cds now.

i am like you i love my vinyl lps.

+Quote Post
JohanD
post Aug 1 2008, 11:19 AM
Post #20

Down in the Jungle Room
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 19

Great pics all!!

About those picture discs... would love to see how they look like!!!
The actual records... (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/thanks.gif)

--------------------

+Quote Post
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:37 PM
Hosted By: ElviCities