NightRider
post Mar 5 2011, 11:14 AM
Post #121

Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (TCBmae @ Mar 4 2011, 12:29 AM) *
I'm a little confused when it comes to what "collecting" means since I've come to TKC. There are so many compilations made by people on here, or compilations that are announced on here.. I can't keep track of what's officially out there for sale and official, or what's been made by fans just for the pleasure of creating! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

So when you say 50s compilations... what're you talking about specifically?

I'm sorry, this is probably a silly question to you guys.. I'm just still trying to grasp a lot of stuff. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused.gif)

Collecting, to me at least, means "real" releases and not CDrs etc. Some people collect those and thats fine too...just not for me. Because of the 50 year copyright laws...all Elvis' 50s releases....that were released in the 50s have now become public domain. This means that any company can release them. Hence..there have been thousands of 50s compilations released over the last few years from a number of different labels. Most are budget European labels that just release them over and over and over on different Cds. Most are really cheap to buy...and most aren't of interest in a way that they offer something different such as improved sound. Like i said...i do have some...but won't go into collecting that many of them. If i go for budget releases...it is usually those released in the 80s and 90s. Those companies had to have approval from Elvis' record company at the time. Well...most did (IMG:style_emoticons/default/winking0001.gif)

Hope that explains it a little more Mae (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumbup.gif)

--------------------
TCB Chris

You may think that its the breeze...whistling through the lonely trees..but its only him a flyin' round the bend...
as the day comes to an end.........

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TCBmae
post Mar 5 2011, 03:06 PM
Post #122

Aboard N880EP

Group: Special Members
Member No.: 22,994

QUOTE (NightRider @ Mar 5 2011, 04:14 AM) *
Collecting, to me at least, means "real" releases and not CDrs etc. Some people collect those and thats fine too...just not for me. Because of the 50 year copyright laws...all Elvis' 50s releases....that were released in the 50s have now become public domain. This means that any company can release them. Hence..there have been thousands of 50s compilations released over the last few years from a number of different labels. Most are budget European labels that just release them over and over and over on different Cds. Most are really cheap to buy...and most aren't of interest in a way that they offer something different such as improved sound. Like i said...i do have some...but won't go into collecting that many of them. If i go for budget releases...it is usually those released in the 80s and 90s. Those companies had to have approval from Elvis' record company at the time. Well...most did (IMG:style_emoticons/default/winking0001.gif)

Hope that explains it a little more Mae (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumbup.gif)

Do all songs and released material have a 50-year copyright law? Or is that a contractual agreement? Why would they do that, that seems kind of silly..

But I understand better now, thanks a lot! You guys are so patient with me hahaha bless your souls! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blush.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheers.gif)
(went out to the bar for the first time last night! WOOT!)

--------------------

+Quote Post
NightRider
post Mar 5 2011, 06:17 PM
Post #123

Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (TCBmae @ Mar 5 2011, 03:06 PM) *
Do all songs and released material have a 50-year copyright law? Or is that a contractual agreement? Why would they do that, that seems kind of silly..

But I understand better now, thanks a lot! You guys are so patient with me hahaha bless your souls! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blush.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheers.gif)
(went out to the bar for the first time last night! WOOT!)

I believe so Mae.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/undecided.gif)

You are welcome. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheers.gif)

--------------------
TCB Chris

You may think that its the breeze...whistling through the lonely trees..but its only him a flyin' round the bend...
as the day comes to an end.........

+Quote Post
Unchained Melody
post May 17 2011, 02:18 AM
Post #124

Listening to Elvis

Member No.: 22,929

1,541 currently.

That is all the albums, FTDs, RCA/BMG releases, Imports live and studio, and concerts that have not been released on silver disc.

+Quote Post
dj_ethan
post May 17 2011, 03:17 PM
Post #125

At The Gates Of Graceland

Member No.: 4,680

700 or more Elvis CD's (No CDR)
4,000 or More Various Artists CD's
More 2 terabits Elvis documents (Videos, MP3, Flac, ...)

--------------------

+Quote Post
7 Pages V  « < 5 6 7
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:51 AM
Hosted By: ElviCities