Reply to this topic Start new topic
 THE LAST VACATION

memphis 77
post Feb 10 2009, 06:35 PM
Post #1

At The Gates Of Graceland

Group: Special Members
Member No.: 683

looking over the pics of the last vacation i kinds get the sense that it was bitter sweet, i had to look in several books to combine all 13 that i have in some he looks like he is having a ball in others it looks tragic , i also remember both geller and billy smith saying that he was trying to have fun , anyone have more pics of this trip and your thoughts.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Elvisnow1969
post Feb 10 2009, 06:40 PM
Post #2

Aboard N880EP

Member No.: 21,597

this is the Elvis i like when i look at those pictures (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Attached File(s)
Attached File  skann0059.jpg ( 175.16K ) Number of downloads: 10

+Quote Post
NightRider
post Feb 10 2009, 07:13 PM
Post #3

Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 1

I do have a magazine called The last vacation full of these photos...and have to add that i think Elvis looked pretty happy ( and indeed quite well ) in them. I personally think that it was what he should have done more.....(as in taking time off ).

--------------------
TCB Chris

You may think that its the breeze...whistling through the lonely trees..but its only him a flyin' round the bend...
as the day comes to an end.........

+Quote Post
Elvisnow1969
post Feb 10 2009, 07:27 PM
Post #4

Aboard N880EP

QUOTE (NightRider @ Feb 10 2009, 08:13 PM) *
I do have a magazine called The last vacation full of these photos...and have to add that i think Elvis looked pretty happy ( and indeed quite well ) in them. I personally think that it was what he should have done more.....(as in taking time off ).

Do you remember when it was issued? He did look well like you say. You are 100% right. I wonder what would happend if he took care of himselfe...

+Quote Post
NightRider
post Feb 10 2009, 07:29 PM
Post #5

Administrator
Group Icon

QUOTE (Elvisnow1969 @ Feb 10 2009, 07:27 PM) *
Do you remember when it was issued? He did look well like you say. You are 100% right. I wonder what would happend if he took care of himselfe...

Not from memory...will have to dig it out...though i don't recall there being any text on the Mag at all...except the title on the front cover.. (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/undecided.gif)

--------------------
TCB Chris

You may think that its the breeze...whistling through the lonely trees..but its only him a flyin' round the bend...

+Quote Post
J
post Feb 10 2009, 07:39 PM
Post #6

Down in the Jungle Room

Member No.: 363

I've always liked the March '77 Hawaii shots. Though they probably weren't ment for our (public) eye's, it's very nice to see Elvis in such casual settings. We don't have too many as 'private' shots as these are, especially from the 70's. Dressed in simple clothes, just having fun and relaxing, like everyone else would do in a place like Hawaii. .....But it's also a bit sad to think that he had to face yet several more tours during '77, starting from the same month he had this vacation... he really needed more time to relax than the couple/few weeks he had.

Attached File  1977_03_____2.jpg ( 303.72K ) Number of downloads: 19

Attached File  1977_03_____1.jpg ( 141.53K ) Number of downloads: 12

+Quote Post
Elvisnow1969
post Feb 10 2009, 08:18 PM
Post #7

Aboard N880EP

Heres Larry Geller and Elvis. Cant agree with you more Jouni.

I do believe it was released in aug 1978. As a tribute or something. Not sure, its sure hard to get a hold of :|
Attached File(s)
Attached File  elvis_larry.jpg ( 16.26K ) Number of downloads: 9

+Quote Post
tcbndixie
post Feb 10 2009, 09:53 PM
Post #8

Down in the Jungle Room

Member No.: 92

I have this little booklet and yes, it is bittersweet. I can't get to the book right now, but I do have a few pics in my folders.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Back_Cover.jpg ( 362.07K ) Number of downloads: 7
Attached File  Pg_2.jpg ( 602.66K ) Number of downloads: 11
Attached File  Pg_3.jpg ( 636.07K ) Number of downloads: 9

--------------------
Friends Because Of Elvis, Marshie/tcbndixie
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
The vision, the myth, the legend...was really just a man...blessed, respected and loved!
Rest in peace sweet friend...rest in peace!
~~~

"...the image is one thing and the human being is another...it's very hard to live up to an image."
Elvis: MSG-NY 1972
~~~
"Long after I'm gone, what I did today will be heard by someone. I just want them to get the best of what I had."
Quote by Elvis Presley
~~~
"...it was like he came along and whispered some dream in everybody's ear, and somehow we all dreamed it."
Quote by Bruce Springsteen about Elvis
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Tupelo is where he was born
Vegas is where he'd perform
The World Stage is where he was known
But Memphis was always his home
Mayor A.C. Wharton/BW 2009

+Quote Post
tcbndixie
post Feb 10 2009, 09:55 PM
Post #9

Down in the Jungle Room

A few more...
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Pg_4.jpg ( 525.11K ) Number of downloads: 11
Attached File  Pg_5.jpg ( 469.28K ) Number of downloads: 11
Attached File  Pg_6.jpg ( 531.53K ) Number of downloads: 15

--------------------
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
The vision, the myth, the legend...was really just a man...blessed, respected and loved!
~~~

"...the image is one thing and the human being is another...it's very hard to live up to an image."
~~~
"Long after I'm gone, what I did today will be heard by someone. I just want them to get the best of what I had."
Quote by Elvis Presley
~~~
"...it was like he came along and whispered some dream in everybody's ear, and somehow we all dreamed it."
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

+Quote Post
tcbndixie
post Feb 10 2009, 09:57 PM
Post #10

Down in the Jungle Room

And these...hope this helps...
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Pg_7.jpg ( 362.85K ) Number of downloads: 13
Attached File  Pg_8.jpg ( 623.83K ) Number of downloads: 13
Attached File  Pg_9.jpg ( 494.09K ) Number of downloads: 13

--------------------
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~~~

~~~
Quote by Elvis Presley
~~~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

+Quote Post
Elvisnow1969
post Feb 10 2009, 10:00 PM
Post #11

Aboard N880EP

the pictures are definetly cool candids (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) thanks for posting!

+Quote Post
NightRider
post Feb 10 2009, 10:23 PM
Post #12

Administrator
Group Icon

Thanks for posting some of them Marshie (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/thumbup.gif)

--------------------
TCB Chris

+Quote Post
Mags
post Feb 10 2009, 11:42 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 2,036

Thanks for posting. Elvis just looks so relaxed. Exactly how he should on holiday.

--------------------

+Quote Post
REX
post Feb 12 2009, 11:32 AM
Post #14

Platinum Member

Member No.: 21,960

QUOTE (memphis 77 @ Feb 10 2009, 06:35 PM) *
looking over the pics of the last vacation i kinds get the sense that it was bitter sweet, i had to look in several books to combine all 13 that i have in some he looks like he is having a ball in others it looks tragic , i also remember both geller and billy smith saying that he was trying to have fun , anyone have more pics of this trip and your thoughts.

In Guernsey Elvis Auction Cat: 1999, they had a collection of papers for sale from Elvis' Last Vacation, which Included dates and $$$ costs to Elvis for this Holiday.....

Attached File  LastVacation.jpg ( 1022.1K ) Number of downloads: 9

It also included a review by (unknown) on this trip, Larry Geller is quoted near the end......

C170 (GUERNSEY’S Auction Catalogue 1999) From HILTON HAWAIIAN VILLAGE
Statement on white paper addressed to Elvis Presley from Hilton Hawaiian Village plus blue carbon copy.
Statement dated April 1, 1977 from dates in March totals $16,931.48.
Copy of a two-page detailed ledger for Elvis Presley and 18 other guests under the name, "Esposito Group."
Copy of a bill from Hawaiian Telephone dated March 28,

Eight-page book entitled "The Last Vacation, Hawaii March 1977." Tells the story of Elvis' Hawaiian vacation and shows pictures. Photograph includ¬ed. 11x8 1/2 inches state¬ment. 14x8 1/2 inches ledger. 11x81/2 inches phone bill. 7 1/2x6 1/4 inches individual receipts. 6 1/4 x 2" adding tape. 7 1/2 x 10 1/2 inches envelope. 11x8 1/2 inches "The Last Vacation."

Hawaii was a favorite vacation spot of Elvis'. He wanted to show Hawaii to Ginger Alden, his girl¬friend, so he planned a two-week Hawaiian vaca¬tion. It began as a romantic getaway for two, how¬ever, it quickly escalated into a travelling crowd of 30 family and friends, with Ginger's family being among the first to be added to the guest list. They all arrived in Hawaii the morning of March 4 set¬tling in at the Hilton Rainbow Tower. After two days, Elvis, the Alden sisters, and a couple of the guys moved to a beach house at Kailua while everyone else remained at the Hilton. They spent their time playing touch football on the beach, playing ping-pong, and relaxing.

While everyone seemed to be having a good time, it was tainted by the fact that Elvis' physical condition was clearly declining. On March 12, an excursion to the U.S.S.-Arizona was can¬celled when Elvis got sand in his eye. Dr. Nick was afraid that Elvis may have scratched his cornea and wanted him to have several days in Memphis to recover prior to going on tour later in the month. This meant the end of the vacation and Elvis and the rest of the party returned home, but not before Elvis purchased a gift for everyone in the party as a souvenir of the trip. Elvis later told Larry Geller that the trip cost him around, $100,000, but "What profited it to gain the world if you couldn't share your good fortune with your friends?"

This was Elvis' last vacation.

INTERESTING HOW EVEN ELVIS' LAST VACATION GOT SOLD TO SOMEONE SincerELy ............... R e x

--------------------

+Quote Post
memphis 77
post Feb 12 2009, 05:42 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 683

many thank to all of you for the info i nver heard of the booklet sure sounds great also many thanx to you rex for posting the info surrounding the trip.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GuitarMan66
post Feb 12 2009, 09:10 PM
Post #16

Down in the Jungle Room

Member No.: 9

Great pics and topic..(IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Its nice to see Elvis having such a good time during the last few months of his life..especially considering he was supposedly miserable and withdrawn..etc..
Are the pics here the only ones from the 70's to show Elvis wearing a short sleeved shirt??..I know he hated having to wear that style of clothes for the movies in the 60's and vowed never to wear them again..must have took him at least 10 years to get over this...

--------------------

+Quote Post
tcbndixie
post Feb 12 2009, 09:52 PM
Post #17

Down in the Jungle Room

You're welcome...glad I could contribute.

I'm not sure about pics with short sleeve shirts...I'll try and look in my folders later tonight when I get back home. I always found it interesting and 'so Elvis' to have pants, shoes, socks, etc on the beach and everyone else be in swimming wear. But, after the 50's this was his usual beach wear...even when he sunbathed it was fully dressed! LOL!!

I have the following info saved to one of my folders about the last vacation...but I don't remember where it came from. I had forgotten he signed his will on the day before he went on this vacation. It's amazing what you forget until you come across the info again!

A tired Elvis admitted to Ed Parker that he had to take a break. Ed suggested a trip to Hawaii. March 4 Elvis and 30 of his friends traveled to Hawaii. The vacation lasted until March 13 and had a certain effect on Elvis. He slept better and looked more relaxed than before the vacation. Elvis signed his last will on Vernon's urging on March 3 the day before he traveled to Hawaii.

During the vacation Elvis played some touch football with his entourage and friends. During one football session Elvis almost broke his hand when he accidentally hit the fence. Although Hawaii had positive effect on Elvis it was obviously not enough. He had to cancel 4 concerts the next tour. Elvis was like a battery that had been charged one time too many...

The total cost of Elvis' trip to Hawaii may have cost $ 100,000 but as Elvis said "What profiteth it to gain the world if you couldn't share your good fortune with your friends."

--------------------
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~~~

~~~
Quote by Elvis Presley
~~~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

+Quote Post
NightRider
post Feb 13 2009, 07:26 AM
Post #18

Administrator
Group Icon

The picture Rex posted...is the one i have. (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/kicking.gif)

--------------------
TCB Chris

+Quote Post
REX
post Feb 15 2009, 10:58 AM
Post #19

Platinum Member

Member No.: 21,960

QUOTE (NightRider @ Feb 13 2009, 07:26 AM) *
The picture Rex posted...is the one i have. (IMG:http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/kicking.gif)

came across this ELVIS motion GIF ~ on a Non Elvis site.. (click if it isn't moving...) REX

Attached File  EP_Animation__80_.gif ( 364.64K ) Number of downloads: 2

--------------------

+Quote Post
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th July 2024 - 07:48 PM
Hosted By: ElviCities